Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Is this treated urea the same thing as the 'coated' urea I get at the coop?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes , I couldn't buy that because I wasn't purchasing it in Bulk or IN a Buggy I had to buy bagged so I just coated it myself with the product they use.

Jbohn good luck with the coons. I have the same problem with redwing blackbirds. They pull the new corn up and eat the corn seed. Always something.

Jbohn good luck with the coons. I have the same problem with redwing blackbirds. They pull the new corn up and eat the corn seed. Always something.
Crows are miserable on corn if you have them around. This was a big problem for me back in MI. The crows would just pluck the corn seedlings right out of the ground.

Is this treated urea the same thing as the 'coated' urea I get at the coop?

Is it light blue & u have to buy it in a fertilizer cart? You can’t buy in bags. Regular non-coated urea will be WHITE. The term “coated” is also often used with smart urea. Which is control release. It has a polimer coating on it and is a brand of urea that breaks down over time.
Ask the coop next time you there. Heck- can show em this post & they should know. :)

Is it light blue & u have to buy it in a fertilizer cart? You can’t buy in bags. Regular non-coated urea will be WHITE. The term “coated” is also often used with smart urea. Which is control release. It has a polimer coating on it and is a brand of urea that breaks down over time.
Ask the coop next time you there. Heck- can show em this post & they should know. :)
It's light blue. Can buy as small as 5gal bucket. Easy peasy. I fill up my 3pt spreader and extra 30gal drums. Way cheaper than bags AND it doesn't have to be covered up...winner winner

on your planter.... If wanting the run no till and not mess with treating the urea you can look into fert boxes. I have insecticide boxes on my 4 row JD 7100 and they make conversion kits to turn it into a fert box. I may do that at some point.

...just an option to be aware of.

I found the conversion kit it's $250.00 a unit attaches to your Pesticide boxes comes gears /chain what not, the problem is that it dribbles the fertilizer off to side of the row on top and is not put into the soil I called and talked with them. Most dry fertilizers box I see on front cut in and drop the fertilizer in the ground this system would not work on untreated urea. Correct me if I am wrong I can attach some picture he sent me as well..

http://www.petestrailersales.com/2-row-corn-planters.html

Last edited:
I found the conversion kit it's $250.00 a unit attaches to your Pesticide boxes comes gears /chain what not, the problem is that it dribbles the fertilizer off to side of the row on top and is not put into the soil I called and talked with them. Most dry fertilizers box I see on front cut in and drop the fertilizer in the ground this system would not work on untreated urea. Correct me if I am wrong I can attach some picture he sent me as well..

http://www.petestrailersales.com/2-row-corn-planters.html

I bet with a little redneck engineering you could extend the tube towards the front between the discs to ahead of the closer wheels. Have to play with one, but doubt it be too hard.

On that link.... I wonder what their $300/row fertilizer option is compare to the $250/row insecticide conversion kit???

Just thought I would share how my fall food plots are coming along. I am in the middle of prepping brassica plots and snapped a few photos. We are in a pretty good dry stretch, but my corn is definitely going to make. Some of the ears are smaller, but overall there will be a ton of corn. This food plot is right at 5 acres and surrounded on three sides by timber, the corn is planted on the open end, so totally encloses the plot and blocks all view from the road. The Corn planting is about 700' long by 70' wide. I do not have crazy high deer densities so have been able to get away with these small patches. I am actually surprised how little damage has been done, I planted at higher population than I wanted suspecting more damage, but it is turning out fine.

full

full

The bean planting was thinner than I liked, I was lucky enough to have enough moisture to get these up, I don't think any replant would have came up. Even though Ill have an 2 acres of rye, I plan on over seeding in the beans too.

full

Instead of strips I split this plot into 4/5 blocks. This will be my brassica plot, I just tilled under most of a white clover patch that was having a hard time in this drought and will probable over seed the beans with white clover this fall.

full

This is my other plot of about 3 acres, it sits right behind my home and is split half and half between beans and corn. These beans too I will plan on over seeding with rye and maybe clover. The deer are surprisingly relaxed in this plot even though its near my house, but hopefully with the corn serving as a barrier between the house and the plot they will feel even more comfortable.
full

Wow. That’s great! So- your corn- very nice!!..... when did you plant that? I planted mine “early” for Iowa - 110 & 115 day corn. It’s not as developed as urs. Guessing u got a head start being more south or shorter maturity corn?
Well done!! All of ur projects look awesome - hope that hard work pays off witn enjoyable season!!!

Repeat but important!!! Well, for 2019 in most situations. Unless u have beans to spray yet....
Research, read & Understand this. Understand basics of “mode of action classes”, residual activity & read labels. Ask ?’s if needed. One can make this quite basic & simple & it’s an absolute winner for beating weeds if all tools are used and done at proper time.
https://ag.purdue.edu/btny/weedscience/Documents/Herbicide_MOA_CornSoy_12_2012[1].pdf

Repeat but important!!! Well, for 2019 in most situations. Unless u have beans to spray yet....
Research, read & Understand this. Understand basics of “mode of action classes”, residual activity & read labels. Ask ?’s if needed. One can make this quite basic & simple & it’s an absolute winner for beating weeds if all tools are used and done at proper time.
https://ag.purdue.edu/btny/weedscience/Documents/Herbicide_MOA_CornSoy_12_2012[1].pdf

Good Stuff , That's a lot a lot only ever heard of Dual Magnum , Atrazine and Gly. Sweet how it breaks it down for you never really thought about a lot of that information or the effects honestly being a small food plotter . Great Chart and Thanks Skip

This weed is...? I sprayed these beans 2 weeks ago with 2.5 quarts/ acre. Like I didn't touch it. Good thing, there's alot of beans under there and the deer eat this weed. Thanks
b2709bd47eb8e20595140a48a3e652a6.jpg
5c4ead2240a98b59d8671d70a44b461f.jpg

I believe that weed is water hemp and it will absolutely take over your plots in a few years if you let it go to seed. A spray one can spray now is battle star. I works both pre and post emergent. Read label carefully. It isn't as cheap as gly but it keeps and if you average out the cost over a few years it is a manageable cost.

Some of your hemp will be too big for herbicide to kill so if you have time i would walk and pull or hoe the mature ones out.

Bad news weed right there. I read somewhere that each plant can produce a million seeds. Guy at chem place said gly helps it grow. ;). I tried a herbicide I was super happy with. It's called up front. It's a pre, but can be sprayed as a post once beans are past trifoliate. Your way past that now. Active ingredients in upfront are fomesafen and metolachlor. It smoked those RR weeds!

Thanks fellas. Story of my first year switch too!

Man that stinks !! I hate when you look forward to all your hard work and run into something that takes a little bit of the excitement out of ya. One thing I have learned it's always something, always learning. Awesome resource on IW to have people dealing with same issues and fast track the learning process with there help.. It's pretty much an invaluable resource here on IW.

Wow. That’s great! So- your corn- very nice!!..... when did you plant that? I planted mine “early” for Iowa - 110 & 115 day corn. It’s not as developed as urs. Guessing u got a head start being more south or shorter maturity corn?
Well done!! All of ur projects look awesome - hope that hard work pays off witn enjoyable season!!!

Its a 102 day corn, my area is pretty much upland type ground. These shorter season varieties are pretty standard around here. Some guys plant 110 day, but not as often. This is 2 year old plot seed, still germinated fine and the price was perfect;) Our ground in this part of the state is pretty average, SE KS county corn averages hover around 100 b.u., a bumper year(last year), good farmers on upland soil will average 180 b.u., but those years are few and far in between.

I planted my corn on the 13th or 14th of April. Most farmers around here shoot for the 10th of April as the standard. Some guys jump in mid march, but they have a higher replant rate.

So ur beans and corn are planted & coming in great i hope!!! & I sure hope u put down pre-emergents!!!!!

If so- beans - ur next spraying could look like this.... 2 pre-emergents + post emergent...
1) 40-45 oz of metolachlor with safener (lil higher than label & works as well as s-metolachlor if u bump up 30% higher rate than s-Metolachlor) - this metolachlor is cheap & has safener... https://www.ruralking.com/me-too-lachlor-ii
2) fomesafen. Used according to label - if at least 30 days before late summer plots- I’ve had no issues.
https://www.ruralking.com/fomasate
If u run LIBERTY beans, add ur glufosinate obviously. I’d suggest the above fomesafen for a lot of reasons including velvet leaf!! I’d add clethodim & crop oil for better grass killing power as well if u able. Lot of other additives & angles but trying to keep simple. If go with round-up, go at higher rate & make sure the fomesafen is there or other options to address PW, WH, etc. horrid weeds!!!

CORN: Hope u got pre’s down again!!! If u need 2nd
Spray 1) Atrazine if RUP, if not, simazine is actually just fine & can buy anywhere. Mesotrione post & pre emergent is another great tool & option depending on ur 1st spray 2) again, above metolachlor II. If corn is at “correct stage” (read label) - 2,4-d at labeled rates. & ur post that corn has tolerance. IF your corn is tall & fighting off last bit of weed pressure - post emergents (your tolerance trait to corn &/or 2,4-d) alone will likely be sufficient.

Can u manage with post emergents alone? Possibly but u Better be extremely disciplined on timely spraying, spraying at proper weed heights & using several post emergents herbicide categories to tackle weeds that can be extremely hard to deal with or problematic.
Good luck on your corn & bean Plantings!

Late planted corn!!! Put this in about 10-15 days ago. No rain since putting in. Moisture in soil got it up. Did corn on corn (don’t do that often) so this was rare instance I lightly worked the soil. The rest is no-till. It’s late but I suspect it will turn out fine & catch up. Will post some progress later.
d14a30e5d82d013de10cc8bbcae9aba3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom