Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zipline Through the Food Plot

Obsessed

This is my 1+ acre food plot that I have planted on the hilltop behind my house. A farmer buddy of mine likes venison, so he gives me some of his left over seed and I plant it with a rotary spreader that I pull behind my sons quad. Then I lightly disc it in and hand the reins over to Mother Nature. My wife talked me out of spraying roundup anymore, so it's got a fair share of weeds too. Anyway, my buddy plants a 1/2 rotation off of my neighboring farms, so I'm the only place around with corn this year. I'm not a farmer, and this is far from an exact science for me. What I can say is that with very little money or time invested, I've got a nice little patch that provides food for the wildlife, in-turn providing some great hunting for me and my kids, right in our back yard. Sure, I might have over seeded, and the ears may be smaller than corn grown for harvest due to weeds, late planting, no fertilizer, lack of rain, etc. etc., but... it still produces food and they still eat it. It gets picked clean by the end of winter no matter what. (You can see my old water tank blind out in the middle of the corn.)

Now for the fun part. In the 3rd picture, you can see the 250 foot zipline that I just built. I took these pics from a large hang-on treestand that I hung 20 feet up on a utility pole as the starting platform. The kids flipping LOVE it. I spent around 4 hours this weekend stopping them and pulling them back to the starting point. I've got materials ordered to build an automatic braking system in order for my wife and I to give it a go. I don't trust the leather gloves or my grip to stop an adult. Been wanting to build one for years and finally decided to do it this summer, as my honey-do-list has gotten more manageable, and our kids are old enough to trust around it.

If you've ever thought about building a zipline, or a food plot, I highly recommend both.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

A zipline through a food plot...that's a new twist! :) Are you working on a James Bond type move where you take a shot as you slide down the wire? :)

A zipline through a food plot...that's a new twist! :) Are you working on a James Bond type move where you take a shot as you slide down the wire? :)
LOL! Nah. My shooting skill sets aren't anywhere close to Bond levels. ;)

very ironic someone posting about a zip line. I am trying to rehabilitate an existing one that fell into pond at new place. The tree it was attached to died and zip line in water for who knows how long.

very ironic someone posting about a zip line. I am trying to rehabilitate an existing one that fell into pond at new place. The tree it was attached to died and zip line in water for who knows how long.

Sink a post and set that sucker back up! I wish I had a pond, I'd have run mine to allow riders to drop into it

So when does Zipline season end? lol I'm guessing the Zipline is out of service Oct. 1-January?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So when does Zipline season end? lol I'm guessing the Zipline is out of service Oct. 1-January?

This is my home property, so as long as kids use it mid day, they can use it during deer season. We don't live far from city limits, well used roads and bike trails. The deer aren't very spooky, and the more time we spend outside, the less spooky they become

This is my home property, so as long as kids use it mid day, they can use it during deer season. We don't live far from city limits, well used roads and bike trails. The deer aren't very spooky, and the more time we spend outside, the less spooky they become
That's handy!

That's handy!

Oh buddy! B4 I bought this place, I thought I had to buy at least 40 acres somewhere way out in BFE, Southern Iowa to successfully hunt deer on my own land. Nope... I've learned a ton about the differences between city deer and country deer. I hunt totally different when I'm out in the boonies than I do at home.

One of these trees should do the trick for a launch point. Making a place for kiddo to play. ;)
8c336f993014d93aabcbf9732dc1be88.jpg

I'm jealous! You've got a great shaded fall away bank there and a decent sized body of water to drop into with plenty of trees to terminate the zipline off to. It's HOT and dryer than a popcorn fart where I set mine up. The kids get to have hours of fun, while I battle heat exhaustion hauling them back to the starting platform.

I'm jealous! You've got a great shaded fall away bank there and a decent sized body of water to drop into with plenty of trees to terminate the zipline off to. It's HOT and dryer than a popcorn fart where I set mine up. The kids get to have hours of fun, while I battle heat exhaustion hauling them back to the starting platform.
Got it done! This should be fun.
2ced7c8575cb27c901e6d564472c9948.jpg
77da948d3f7324ab8464b5ef2dbb8f6f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom