Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New dog tracking bill HF363

Agree, I hope that goes through as written. I think all of the concerns that I am aware of are well addressed in that new writeup.

I wonder if the person giving permission for the dog and its trainer to track a wounded deer on their ground understands the hunter can now carry a weapon.

I wonder if the person giving permission for the dog and its trainer to track a wounded deer on their ground understands the hunter can now carry a weapon.

I have given and received permission to look for wounded animals over the years. I have always assumed that taking a weapon was a given once permission was granted.

I have given and received permission to look for wounded animals over the years. I have always assumed that taking a weapon was a given once permission was granted.
I'm the same. Since permission must be given I'm assuming the landowner could say "no dog" or "no weapon with the dog". Most landowners will do the right thing and would probably offer to tag along if available.

Regardless of what the language of the bill says, I would think that a person granting permission to someone else to enter their property could stipulate whether they can carry a weapon, or not. No?

If I had a legitimate request from a neighbor to track a wounded deer that went on my farm...I would want them to be able to anchor it if they tracked it and found that it was still alive. Now then...that would be the only deer that they should be shooting at IMO and I would make that clear. Like Hillrunner, we have had to track deer over onto the neighbors before and if we get say more than 40 yards in...we make sure to get permission from them, even though we technically didn't have to. It's just called respect and it is how I would like to be treated too. If a deer is laying there dead a few feet over the line...go get it. If you have a real track job at hand, then regroup and work with the neighbor, etc.

Regardless of what the language of the bill says, I would think that a person granting permission to someone else to enter their property could stipulate whether they can carry a weapon, or not. No?

If I had a legitimate request from a neighbor to track a wounded deer that went on my farm...I would want them to be able to anchor it if they tracked it and found that it was still alive. Now then...that would be the only deer that they should be shooting at IMO and I would make that clear. Like Hillrunner, we have had to track deer over onto the neighbors before and if we get say more than 40 yards in...we make sure to get permission from them, even though we technically didn't have to. It's just called respect and it is how I would like to be treated too. If a deer is laying there dead a few feet over the line...go get it. If you have a real track job at hand, then regroup and work with the neighbor, etc.

Well said - too bad the law wasn't written exactly the way you described it

I'm 100% for it. It is a great tool that works. I do think the past language needed to be rewritten. It has been rewritten to cover most the concerns people have had with it in the past. 37 other states allow it now. About 5 of the states that don't allow it, including Iowa, are currently working to allow it. If the state of Iowa really wants to be ethical when hunting deer, they should allow this to retrieve an animal that has been lost.

Believe it or not time is actually getting short on bills. The first funnel is March 8th. All bills, unless appropriations or spending bills must be through their committee by then or they are done for the year. There are some procedural things they can do to keep a bill alive but as a general rule it doesn't happen.

As I said in another thread the chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee is Representative Rob Bacon, House District 48 (Hamilton and parts of Boone and Webster Counties) Email: rob.bacon@legis.iowa.gov and ask him to assign this bill to a subcommittee as soon as possible. Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=9384

Believe it or not time is actually getting short on bills. The first funnel is March 8th. All bills, unless appropriations or spending bills must be through their committee by then or they are done for the year. There are some procedural things they can do to keep a bill alive but as a general rule it doesn't happen.

As I said in another thread the chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee is Representative Rob Bacon, House District 48 (Hamilton and parts of Boone and Webster Counties) Email: rob.bacon@legis.iowa.gov and ask him to assign this bill to a subcommittee as soon as possible. Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=9384

Thanks for that reminder Fishbonker

I have emailed Mr. Bacon to voice my support.

This is a good article that is worth reading if you haven't seen it. It was written about 5 years ago. Some of the states mentioned in the article do now allow tracking. Pennsylvania just recently got it legalized after many tough years of battling. Oklahoma and Colorado also allow it now. The article describes almost a mirror image of what it has been like trying to get this done in Iowa.

Why Can’t I Use My Dog?
https://www.bowhunting.com/…/2…/10/29/why-cant-i-use-my-dog/

Please help inform others and your legislator. There is a lot of misconceptions out there on the use of a dog to recover a deer.
Why Can’t I Use My Dog?
Even though there are many dogs and handlers with the ability to help in every state of the Union, the use of dogs to recover wounded big game is still not legal in all or part of 15 states. Why is that? bowhunting.com

A subcommittee has been assigned but no date yet for a meeting.

Subcommittee:

Representative Tom Jeneary, House District 5 (parts of Plymouth and Woodbury Counties) Email: Tom.Jeneary@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27018

Representative Mark Smith House District 71 (parts of Marshall County including Marshalltown) Email: mark.smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=64

Representative Jon Thorup House District 28 (Parts of Jasper, Marion and Lucas Counties) Email: Jon.Thorup@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27021

Top Bottom