Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer classic pics??? Can u all post em??

If this is the least of our problems as a hunter- man would I be happy!! All “pretty minor” guys. & this debate is a million times better than the Rompala buck- which had a lot darker debate. I would imagine with sheds- if someone needs to adjust that mount- will be fairly easy.

Rest of bucks - insane!!! Really cool. A few guys said to me “seemed like bigger bucks than previous year”. Imo- that might make sense considering 2017 was a terrible drought for most the state & opposite for 2018 rain. Imo- if it’s true “bigger bucks” - that may have something to do with it.

• Deleted by southsideriverrat
Show…
Wow, that is quite a bit of effort to join a site and type out all those responses. The mount absolutely reminded me of the Rampola buck. Let's give this one a rest.

Good grief. Did you happen to check when I joined this site?

Dec 3, 2011 is when I signed up here. For the record. Seven years ago. I guess it says "new member" because I have rarely posted.

Sorry for spending time to correct the record on these sheds? Are you against it?

I don't disagree that the rack, as mounted on that full body, has a fake look, and partially like the Rompola. As noted, these Moffett sheds are real for sure. So really only a superficial comparison. That's all.

Folks on this thread seem to be fair. Seems to me the time spent was worth it. Not if the sarcasm of your post defines the attitude.

Happy to give the topic a rest. Just keep it correct.

Last edited:
Nothing like a big deer to bring every wormy bastard out. I wish the antlers crumbled to dust. What a bunch of clowns.....

They're gorgeous antlers. Don't wish that. It'll get straightened out

Klaus and Tom Sexton will be re-convening this week to make sure the antlers are set right before they get molded on a skull cap.

You should read Jays Facebook post. He absolutely said the mount was how the antlers should have been, and that they actually should have been even wider.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke with Jay a long time this morning. I will take the correction...he did say that. He should not have.

The key is to get the sheds right. The guys are trying. Seriously.

Good grief. Did you happen to check when I joined this site?

Dec 3, 2011 is when I signed up here. For the record. Seven years ago. I guess it says "new member" because I have rarely posted.

Sorry for spending time to correct the record on these sheds? Are you against it?

I don't disagree that the rack, as mounted on that full body, has a fake look, and partially like the Rompola. As noted, these Moffett sheds are real for sure. So really only a superficial comparison. That's all.

Folks on this thread seem to be fair. Seems to me the time spent was worth it. Not if the sarcasm of your post defines the attitude.

Happy to give the topic a rest. Just keep it correct.

Rarely post is correct. 19 total messages and 17 of those on this topic. So, 2 prior posts in 7 years. So sorry I mislabeled you as new. I stand corrected.

And it is absolutely correct it reminds me of the Rampola buck from how the mount looks. Check the "likes" to see that is a common view of people reading this thread. So, I won't stand corrected on that one.

I could care less about any of this buck being "correct". It is a nice buck and nice sheds. I could care less about the drama and who is correct. I'll go back to thinking about bucks I can hunt and how to keep the Iowa legislature from messing up our deer hunting.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
Sure is a lot of people bent out of shape for a set of squirrel chew toys. The effect big deer and big sheds have on some is mind boggling
Ha. Squirrel chew toys. That’s funny right there no matter how u see this!
I’m as obsessed with hunting, management & mature bucks as anyone BUT I do understand how the drama & arguments gets tiring & silly. I honestly don’t fault southsideriverrat for defending what he believes. Also- I don’t fault others for pointing out stuff like the trail cam pics & the mount.
I love hunting & giant bucks & im gonna guess every single person on this thread likely has some level of the same passion. All the BS that goes with this amazing sport & animal - it sucks!! I think we all agree on that!!! Love the sport, love the animal, love everything about giant bucks!! HATE the drama & the infighting & circus of the hunting world that can’t be avoided (& there is a very positive & good part of it too - like anything).
It’s the beast we’ve all created & will always be there. Part of it is good - it’s becaude we are in “good times” in a state that has big bucks to create drama. For that I’m thankful. For the wannabe’s, drama lovers & folks who only look at deer as $ or only for ego OR purely for their selfish shooting enjoyment .... I do wonder how long things will last in our circular firing squad where we often become our own worst enemy. Greed & self interest must remain in check for us hunters & if we don’t- there’s too many $ & political interests that will allow us to implode.

Sorry - off on a tangent. & likely - preaching to the choir. Big bucks, passion, opportunity & enjoyment of all this sport is awesome. Idiots, politics of hunting & drama sucks & I think everyone in here knows exactly what I’m talking about & we’re probably all guilty of being involved in the drama at some point. We are all on the same team - at least I hope so. I guess I hope there’s always a tiny bit of drama with big bucks VS places like MI where the drama is fighting about ur opportunity to shoot that rare & majestic 1.5 year old fork horn. ;)

Great pics. Great vid TH!! & great IN giant that likely will have a new chapter in the future. Awesome bucks & thx for passion & posts.

Ha. Squirrel chew toys. That’s funny right there no matter how u see this!
I’m as obsessed with hunting, management & mature bucks as anyone BUT I do understand how the drama & arguments gets tiring & silly. I honestly don’t fault southsideriverrat for defending what he believes. Also- I don’t fault others for pointing out stuff like the trail cam pics & the mount.
I love hunting & giant bucks & im gonna guess every single person on this thread likely has some level of the same passion. All the BS that goes with this amazing sport & animal - it sucks!! I think we all agree on that!!! Love the sport, love the animal, love everything about giant bucks!! HATE the drama & the infighting & circus of the hunting world that can’t be avoided (& there is a very positive & good part of it too - like anything).
It’s the beast we’ve all created & will always be there. Part of it is good - it’s becaude we are in “good times” in a state that has big bucks to create drama. For that I’m thankful. For the wannabe’s, drama lovers & folks who only look at deer as $ or only for ego OR purely for their selfish shooting enjoyment .... I do wonder how long things will last in our circular firing squad where we often become our own worst enemy. Greed & self interest must remain in check for us hunters & if we don’t- there’s too many $ & political interests that will allow us to implode.

Sorry - off on a tangent. & likely - preaching to the choir. Big bucks, passion, opportunity & enjoyment of all this sport is awesome. Idiots, politics of hunting & drama sucks & I think everyone in here knows exactly what I’m talking about & we’re probably all guilty of being involved in the drama at some point. We are all on the same team - at least I hope so. I guess I hope there’s always a tiny bit of drama with big bucks VS places like MI where the drama is fighting about ur opportunity to shoot that rare & majestic 1.5 year old fork horn. ;)

Great pics. Great vid TH!! & great IN giant that likely will have a new chapter in the future. Awesome bucks & thx for passion & posts.
I should have clarified. I'm into big bucks as much as the next guy. But between this incident of trying to squeeze extra inches out of a set of sheds and the Michigan deer farm sheds that sold for over 10K and were advertised to be wild and all the poaching of big bucks or guys shooting high fence deer and posing with a grip and grin and claiming free chase. Brackett is a prime example. Has an enviable lifestyle but shoots a 2nd buck because it was bigger. Adam Greentree is another example. Just pled guilty for crossing into an Australian fenced in national park to harvest some animals to throw on Instagram and make his sponsors proud. Those are the mind boggling cases. Now when everyone in the know thinks about those sheds they aren't going to think about the deer or the antlers and how awesome they are. They are going to remember the drama surrounding them.

I should have clarified. I'm into big bucks as much as the next guy. But between this incident of trying to squeeze extra inches out of a set of sheds and the Michigan deer farm sheds that sold for over 10K and were advertised to be wild and all the poaching of big bucks or guys shooting high fence deer and posing with a grip and grin and claiming free chase. Brackett is a prime example. Has an enviable lifestyle but shoots a 2nd buck because it was bigger. Adam Greentree is another example. Just pled guilty for crossing into an Australian fenced in national park to harvest some animals to throw on Instagram and make his sponsors proud. Those are the mind boggling cases. Now when everyone in the know thinks about those sheds they aren't going to think about the deer or the antlers and how awesome they are. They are going to remember the drama surrounding them.
All good. Agree. I don’t disagree with anyone on here in fact. Wasn’t directing it towards anyone. No clarification needed & all the crap above - that’s the garbage I’m partially talking about & what folks are sick of!
Btw - I lived in Australia for a year - don’t think I met one hunter!!! Not one. The aussies thought I was crazy for hunting & even having guns. What the world he poach?!? A Boone & Crockett Koala Bear or wombat?!!?! Yep- guys like that fit right into that “idiot”’or “self aggrandizing” & ego category!

Rarely post is correct. 19 total messages and 17 of those on this topic. So, 2 prior posts in 7 years. So sorry I mislabeled you as new. I stand corrected.

And it is absolutely correct it reminds me of the Rampola buck from how the mount looks. Check the "likes" to see that is a common view of people reading this thread. So, I won't stand corrected on that one.

I could care less about any of this buck being "correct". It is a nice buck and nice sheds. I could care less about the drama and who is correct. I'll go back to thinking about bucks I can hunt and how to keep the Iowa legislature from messing up our deer hunting.

Have a good day.

Well I'm guessing you do care about information being correct. It's just a frustrating thing going down.

I came to this page last night to look for deer classic photo's. That's when I saw the comments that I replied to. I just replied to each comment that I felt I wanted to comment on. Nothing predetermined. No agenda. Didn't come here looking for this issue. As we've seen I'm not always factually correct myself. My sense in this thread is that most of the posters here are putting out reasonable thoughts. I'll probably sign in here more often. And I appreciate the interaction

And holy sh&% have you guys seen what went down today in the shed antler world.

Later. Dan V

Last edited:
Oh- I thought it was a different story. CURTIS WALKER TEXAS RANGER caught 6 guys shed poaching his place. He beat the crap out of 5 of them. I’m talking fists of fury 60 second absolute hulk like domination. Left them in a bloody mess laying on a snow bank. The 6th guy- took a shed & stuck it up the dudes rear end!!! In the video I saw he says “tell & SHOW your buddies what happens when they shed poach my place!” It was pretty savage. Maybe 2 different shed world stories going around though?

What happened?

Yea so there was an attempted shed antler caper masterminded by a well known antler buyer....fasten seatbelt...this is a copy/paste from Facebook, not my words.

Ron Nixon, a fairly well know antler guy, last year bought a giant set of farm antlers from a preserve in Michigan and stashed them at his home for a year then decides its time to pull them out and try to cash in at the Biggest Whitetail show in the country for Big Bucks!! He goes and finds a young man to carry out this act. Most of you know or heard of Jay Fish, the guy who brought the giant Indiana sheds to the classic.

Well Ron knew he was gonna be there with his Big collection and the Big Indiana set for everyone to see.. so Ron gets this young fella to take this Awesome 6x6 set of sheds in the show and straight to Jay fish’s booth and try to sell them.

Jay makes his offer and was declined, the guy wanted $15,000 for them. So the guy gets corralled by a couple other buyers looking to get a pic and a Quick score. The guy said no pics but allowed Jeff Cody to score them.. while this was happening Ron Nixon just hung around texting on his phone and I am assuming he is texting this guy telling him what to do as he knows nothing about antlers. After the scoring got done he headed out to put them in a vehicle and a few hours pass and in comes Matt Beard. Matt owns the largest antler collection in the world, and is a so-called personal friend of Ron's.

Matt’s already heard about them and is wanting to check them out at this point !! So they get together Matt and the kid and of coarse Ron tagged along. Matt sees these amazing antlers and makes the deal with this guy and asks the question is there any chance these are farm.. Matt didn’t think so at all and the kid assured him that he just found them on his grandparents farm about 1 hour south of Des Moines.

Ron Nixon sits there in the vehicle as this taking place and had plenty of opportunity to say hey I can’t do this to a friend but didn’t!! He watched Matt roll out $13,000 dollars and hand it to the kid and went on with his way with what he thought was the Buy of the century!!!

Here comes the surprise!! Matt made a short post on Facebook asking a question about beam length and 200” sheds.. well that got my attention so I said that’s gonna be a rare thing to happen a set of sheds with 24” beams making it to the 200” mark. A few minutes later I get a message from Matt with some pics and my jaw hits the floor and drool starts flowing I said wow nice set but then I said Matt I seen them before but couldn’t put a finger on them that night.. the following evening Matt posts pics of these fabulous sheds and is proud as usual.. I’m thinking where the hell did I see these?? And my phone beeps I got a message from a buddy in southern Illinois.. his name is Maverick and Jillian Marvel and he said hey them are the sheds I tried buying last year that we talked about and then it hit me holy shit these are FARM antlers from Michigan!!! Maverick sent me a couple reminder pics and I jumped online and grabbed a few more and sent them to Matt so he could delete the post he just shared with the Facebook world!!

Then the detective work started Matt was suspicious cause the guy really new nothing about antlers other then what Ron was coaching him with via texts and he had a couple Trailcam pics and didn’t want anyone to know the location cause he was hunting it yet .. Matt called me a few times and said hey someone masterminded this deal and I think it was Ron.. so I messaged most of the people that were involved or that had seen it and asked questions and they all thought ron was kinda acting strange!! To make along story short I called the deer farm and talked for a long time to convince the man to tell me who he sold the sheds to and it was none other then Ron Nixon!!!

Basically Ron's plan had backfired, as the original target was Jay Fish, but when Ron's "Buddy" ended up buying them instead Ron never came clean, even when the two were sitting alone in the hotel lobby later that night. Ron kept going on acting as excited as Matt was. He was set to make a huge profit on a $250 set of preserve sheds. If wild they would be the #5 typical set in the world. It wasn't until a guy on Facebook recognized the antlers that it all unraveled. Pretty crazy stuff!

Few pics of the sheds and of the deer on the preserve website
55505def510c8de5427cf9110b8401b4.jpg

bc94ee2c296680c560d94dd1613f3913.jpg

12a771b16ec33cbbd11d9b6df08366c5.jpg

0bec94306fbbf9decc1c43ecce481ee7.jpg

bd8800250caa10061a87f16243ef714f.jpg

381aa80ea687448103b30ade02d2b205.jpg

4b0ee3c5602697c035042b96d266e4a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh- I thought it was a different story. CURTIS WALKER TEXAS RANGER caught 6 guys shed poaching his place. He beat the crap out of 5 of them. I’m talking fists of fury 60 second absolute hulk like domination. Left them in a bloody mess laying on a snow bank. The 6th guy- took a shed & stuck it up the dudes rear end!!! In the video I saw he says “tell & SHOW your buddies what happens when they shed poach my place!” It was pretty savage. Maybe 2 different shed world stories going around though?

Sounds like Curtis to me!! Soft spoken ninja.

Top Bottom