Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Sounds great! Glad they're growing well for ya.

I do remember IowaBowhunter1983 posting a video on transplanting cedars also. I found my video no Vimeo but can't access unless I renew my membership, so someday I'll see if I can find it on my computer again. Don't hold your breath for that though. :(

Is it too late to find some chestnut seeds for planting this spring? If not, where is a good place to get them? Thought about planting a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great video. I need to see if the neighbors will let me dig up and transplant some cedars.

I bought a bunch of cedars from the dnr a few years ago. Not much more than twigs at the time. Took three years to get to the size of the ones he's digging up in the video. I think transplanted ones with larger root systems will grow much faster.

Is there a best time of year to do this transplanting?

Spring is great, fall would probably be good too. Honestly if you got good rain cedars could survive a transplant almost any time of year, it’s just the hot dry summer days that make that time of year iffy

Spring is great, fall would probably be good too. Honestly if you got good rain cedars could survive a transplant almost any time of year, it’s just the hot dry summer days that make that time of year iffy

Thanks. I planted several spruce trees as well with little to no success. The cedars do seem to be doing well now that they are getting established. I'm planting them in rows to hopefully provide some screening some day.

Is it too late to find some chestnut seeds for planting this spring? If not, where is a good place to get them? Thought about planting a few.

I pry get u some If don’t need lot. Dunno exactly how it’ll shake out but possible I have some.
Google chestnut seeds - one place I’ve got em from. Hit or miss certain years.... https://route9cooperative.com/

If u want American- get em from American chestnut foundation. If u want blight free- I personally would get Chinese over dunstans. Long list of reasons why & that’s my opinion.

I pry get u some If don’t need lot. Dunno exactly how it’ll shake out but possible I have some.
Google chestnut seeds - one place I’ve got em from. Hit or miss certain years.... https://route9cooperative.com/

If u want American- get em from American chestnut foundation. If u want blight free- I personally would get Chinese over dunstans. Long list of reasons why & that’s my opinion.

Thanks Skip. Found some Americans and Dunstans on ebay. Just doing a dozen of each. No clue how they will do but thought I would give it a shot. No experience with them at all. Americans showed up yesterday and got them un starter pots. Dunstans should arrive soon and will get them going.

Last edited:
Just put together 10 protex tubes in my living room. Wow. Pain in the butt. I’ll pay more next time. They seem solid once together but take me way too long to assemble.

Just put together 10 protex tubes in my living room. Wow. Pain in the butt. I’ll pay more next time. They seem solid once together but take me way too long to assemble.

Ya, I found it best to stack 30-50 together and roll them and ratchet strap them into one long tube, keep them like that for a while and that will help give them more memory so when you put them together individually they'll fight you less. It is a pain unfortunately

Ya, I found it best to stack 30-50 together and roll them and ratchet strap them into one long tube, keep them like that for a while and that will help give them more memory so when you put them together individually they'll fight you less. It is a pain unfortunately

Thanks. That’s a great idea. Lack of memory in them had them going all over the place. I’ll try that.

I need some insight on chestnuts. I ordered a dozen American and 50 Dunstan chestnuts off Ebay (seperate orders). Americans took a few days in very cold temps through USPS. Dunstans went from Indiana to MN, sat there for a couple days then made it here. I planted all of them on 3/1 and 3/2 (same days orders arrived). Watered them well when planted and sat them in a sunny window spot. I still have about 20 Dunstans in the fridge in peat that I didn't have room for in pots.
Not one of these has sprouted. Should I be concerned at this point? Is a week and a half normal for chestnuts to have sprouted indoors? Wasn't sure if they got too cold on the trip here and I'm wasting my time.

Cyball by not sprouted you mean top growth or no tap root? Depending on temperature stored they may take a while to break dormancy. Give them some time. I just potted some. Some only had half inch root and the rest were just barely sprouted. The ones you got may also be rehydrating. Float the ones in the fridge to check viability.

Cyball by not sprouted you mean top growth or no tap root? Depending on temperature stored they may take a while to break dormancy. Give them some time. I just potted some. Some only had half inch root and the rest were just barely sprouted. The ones you got may also be rehydrating. Float the ones in the fridge to check viability.

Thanks. No tap roots yet. I’ll give them time then. Just didn’t know what to expect.

Top Bottom