Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scope

I’d go bigger. Those guns have good range on em & wider view for more light.

What type of hunting do you do? Stand hunting, drive hunting, still hunting???
If youre going to spend most or all your time in a stand or blind then go 3-9× or even higher magnification. If your gonna be shooting at moving targets get a 1-4, 1-6, 1-8x scope... Or if you want best of both worlds like I did get something like a Leupold VX-6 2-12x

Oh, yeah. Iowa. I forgot. Y’all get together with your 40 closest friends and chase every deer out of a woods patch and shoot at ‘em while they run past...

All stand hunting, for me. There’s often a shot walking in - or out, like at lunch time. But no block-and-drive nonsense for me. Stand hunting only. Or mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. Iowa. I forgot. Y’all get together with your 40 closest friends and chase every deer out of a woods patch and shoot at ‘em while they run past...

All stand hunting, for me. There’s often a shot walking in - or out like at lunch time. But no block and drive nonsense for me. Stand hunting only. Or mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well in the timber 9x is plenty... But Ive always been a fan of 12x for open fields and longer shots.
The 1st 450 I owned had a 1-8× and it worked great other than 1st and last light since it was just a straight 30mm tube and no bigger bell objective lense to suck in the light.

Bigger of the two. No need to go crazy expensive on a 200 yd gun though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

...not to mention a 200 yard eye, finger, and shoulder. I’m honest and realistic enough to admit that a 225 yard shot (which I’ve done quite well off the bench, with a rest, in perfect weather) is not a hunting reality for me. My rifle will do 225 with 1 1/2 groups, but I’d never take a hunting shot beyond 200 yds and I’d have to think about it. 150 yds with a .50 and a shooting stick is my best so far.

(I think a lot of guys inflate their shots. I highly doubt that any where near the number, range, and accuracy of shots I hear talked about ever happened. Especially with slugs.)

But, even at 150 yds I can see the advantage of 9x. It’s the 3x for close range I’m worried about. My favorite scope ever is on my .30-06, a Redfield Widefield 1 3/4 - 5. But maybe the newer 3x scopes have the magnification but still a wider field. I’ll look at those, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom