Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Solar aerators for ponds?? Advice??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve got ponds from .5 to maybe 4-5 acres. There’s 3 of them I want to make “good fishing” & clean water but eventually - I’d love to get to all of them.

There’s a 3 acre pond I’m fixing the dam. It’s got some silt in it but nothing crazy. It’s not cost effective to bust dam down & clean it or dredge. I thought at least aeration would help with oxygen & didn’t know if having clean water with bacteria would ever decrease the amount of silt??? Waterways are very good & no till above that. Likely crp down the road.

I’ve seen “DIY” solar aerators & diffuser sets for like $1200-1500. YouTube videos on how to make them. I’ve also found some kits to buy that are $6-7k. The complexity of them doesn’t seem too great at all. I have to do solar as these ponds are no where near power. Another benefit of clean water- just less for midge issues, etc & be nice if folks could swim on occasion.
So- where would any of u start? Buy a kit or anyone built one? Anyone have them & any feedback on results? I’m new to this so any info appreciated!

I helped my landowners put a couple of really simple aerators into their 2 acre pond but we ran electricity to the control box. I'm a guessing that the box could be modified to use solar. I'll text them later and find out what type they used. So far it's been a few years and they're still bubbling along

Alternative & potentially less expensive option to solar would be a windmill generated aerator. The downside, no wind, no bubbles. But it might be something to put on the table and consider.

Alternative & potentially less expensive option to solar would be a windmill generated aerator. The downside, no wind, no bubbles. But it might be something to put on the table and consider.

Just an FYI...I think there is a move away from the windmill type aerators for just the reason that you said. No wind = no aeration. The most stressful part of the summer for fish in a pond is usually late July, early August and 2-4 days of little to no wind, hot temps, low sunlight and algae blooms/die offs can really knock a pond to it's knees.

The windmills are also a maintenance item. I'd go the solar route.

We put in Easy Pro PA34-2DP aerators. They are designed For a one acre pond so we put 2 in as it was a 2.3 acre pond. Cost with hoses 1500 thst was in 2016. This is a 240 v model but they may have solar options. It has really worked well, didn't freeze up even last winter in the POLAR VORTEX

Ya- my neighbor by my farm has me over .... “look at all the dead fish!!!!” Was in 2017 heatwave & no wind. They had windmill bubbler. Dead fish all over when wind started back up & pond turned over. I wanna do plenty of batteries in case something did go wrong.

I stocked a pond at my house last fall per DNR recommendations. I'm super curious if they are still alive. They were real little so I don't think I could could fish for em yet. Maybe tho? Its 15' deep so not worried about freeze out but the never ending winter is a concern with ice/snow cover and oxygen levels. Wonder how a guy could tell without fishing.

I stocked a pond at my house last fall per DNR recommendations. I'm super curious if they are still alive. Wonder how a guy could tell without fishing.

Bring in an otter and see what they think?

Put on a good pair of polarized sunglasses and walk the shore. You might be able to see little fish along the edge.

Otherwise, if you stocked hybrid bluegill, they should have grown quite a bit and you should be able to catch them. I know you said without fishing, but sometimes that’s the easiest/best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stocked a pond at my house last fall per DNR recommendations. I'm super curious if they are still alive. They were real little so I don't think I could could fish for em yet. Maybe tho? Its 15' deep so not worried about freeze out but the never ending winter is a concern with ice/snow cover and oxygen levels. Wonder how a guy could tell without fishing.
One way to tell would be a vexilar and chum or jigging a jig. Would tell you whether there is life in there or not and can be done from a canoe or kayak or through the ice

You would probably be surprised how big they have become. I like the otter idea. Next ones I see I'll head them west.
You are right! Finally fished it. Lots of good size gills. Also saw a bunch of bass that were probably 10" already. Crazy how fast they grew. Should have some whopper bass soon enough. There is still a million tadpoles in there.
f7bba428b4335efc31e8d7c7d708d243.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom