Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Radishes yes. That's generally too late for turnips up here to get good size bulbs...... In a normal weather year.
I got about 1.5 acres in on Friday in North MO and got .5 to .75 inches on Saturday and Sunday. That is the good news. The bad news is the 10 day forecast. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone in Southern IA/Northern MO plant brassicas at the end of August and get good bulb production assuming decent rain (which is a huge ASSumption of course)?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lollll,
I agree. Just finished mine late Sunday night and it went from 80% chance of rain to 50% to now 0% go figure.
Also found out first hand about the evaporation characteristics of urea. Spread some on a plot late Saturday night and was going to till it in first thing Sunday. Well by Sunday morning at 10:00 it was all gone. Luckily I had bought extra. Hate wasting money like that.

If a guy can do it.... spend some $ on a jug of agrotain. Easy to treat ur urea and this jug will 1) last u a long time 2) more than pay for itself with no/little wasted urea and 3) if folks are able.... another tool to allow no till or minimal till. Which will keep much more moisture in soil, reduce erosion & result in drastically fewer weeds.

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/agrotain-ultra-2-5-gallons-nitrogen-stabilizer-808

Used Agrotain (Factor) on My No-till Corn this year.. Worked like a champ.. Get a good sprayer and mix it up. I mixed mine in my tractor bucket but I think there is a lot smarter and easier ways .. I just don't know them yet. :) $218.00 is a sweet price on 2.5 Gallons...

so whats the latest anyone has planted turnips and still had good root production? i planted my brassicas about a month ago but it was so dry i believe some of my seed got buried too deep and my germination wasnt nearly as good as i wanted. My plan is to just broadcast some seed and walk away this weekend. there appears to be some good chances of rain over the next week so im hoping it will at least get them started and maybe have some decent growing weather during sept. I also have some radishes...would i just be better off not planting the turnips? and say only planting the radishes? Im probably going to do it any way but i was just looking for some opinions. I planting my dbltree mix next weekend and was going to fill in the bare areas of the brassicas with some rye but id really like to have more turnips out there for late season...

I just did a little hand seeding to fill in some sparse stuff couple days ago. I add more radish as they will mature lil faster. If rain is good, super fertility & then a longer warm fall- be ok. Early on cold weather- not ideal. Won’t get as big. But- still can be ok. U run the risk of cold weather & smaller plants. For sure getting to the point where I’d like at a fall mix.

Well I went and checked my brassicas yesterday and surprised I was! I last saw them two weeks ago and they were thin and sparse and I was pretty depressed..I planted these the 27th ot July, some following clover, so heavy doses of urea and both fields have had ample moisture...some areas are a little thin do I went back yesterday and spread some seed...whatever doesn't come by next Monday will be going into the dbltree mix
8befc2739d0aa6d66370e62c14c995c1.jpg
ac177fe5a2a4a554da53e439ef6a02f5.jpg
31033a4e420587350c33497b8c02a8a8.jpg
f41b9b3d367c54ab54b2fcdb15bbb244.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/expo/proceedings/2016/Cabbage. Weed Management Update from Michigan. Zanstra.pdf
&
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/commercial-veg-rec/radishes-rutabagas-turnips.pdf

Will try and gather as much info on pre-emergents as I can. I’ve done very little on pre’s now that I have weeds controlled and often do no till. For many folks & cases - they can be very useful (say u disc up newly worked ground or has been previous weed pressure & weed seeds from past). Treflan been a good staple & likely a great go-to tool for most folks, but digging in a little more on some others like metolachlor and prowl h20, etc.

Another chart that’s helpful
94b86bc09b82db7cbccd3f491133db01.jpg

Another quick question. Is it best to cultipack Austrian peas?

IMO, I don't think you can ever hurt yourself by cultipacking to make a firm seed bed. For larger seeds, like peas, I would broadcast them and then probably lightly drag them to bury them fairly shallow and then cultipack them. For smaller seeds like brassicas, I would broadcast them and then only cultipack them.

Prepping things for planting in a couple weeks. Def going to need a match! Rye plot from last year.
07fb00398c82de2f79f0109df5ef98cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What have people found for optimal planting time? I’m in SW WI basically east of Waukon across the river. Last year I planted Aug 10th because we ran into some time constraints and didn’t end up with bulbs that were that big. I’m thinking I need to plant a little earlier this year?

What have people found for optimal planting time? I’m in SW WI basically east of Waukon across the river. Last year I planted Aug 10th because we ran into some time constraints and didn’t end up with bulbs that were that big. I’m thinking I need to plant a little earlier this year?
Someone smart coined the phrase rain or shine, July 29.

Someone smart coined the phrase rain or shine, July 29.

I too have copied that off of whomever first said it and generally speaking, it is right on. I have though planted up to at least the third week of August and have been very satisfied with bulb growth, etc. It is best though to aim for late, late July or early August.

Now then...the giant variable is soil moisture. In my area of the state we have had more than our share of drought conditions over the years and based upon how dry things are, or not, I will try to time my brassica planting to catch at least one nice rain soon after planting. I have done "everything right" in the past and had them in by say Aug.1 and then no rain, and I mean no rain. Then after about a month of nothing I find myself replanting rye/clover since I have had poor, or nonexistent, germination.

Sooo...I would rather plant brassicas in say the third week of August, with a rain soon to follow, than at the "right" time in late July and have the seed sit in the dust for a month and do nothing. When anyone figures out how to know for sure when it is going to rain in August...please let me know! :)

I usually have mine in around middle of august around which ever day has rain in the forecast (when we have rain in the forecast that time of year)

Rain or shine July 29 is fantastic.
If u are a bit early this year..... lil higher on Purple top turnips and lil lighter on radish. Could seed a touch heavier as well. Vice versa If u get “late” on planting.
Now- if they sit there for “2 weeks” - could do them anytime if rain is off a ways. The only risk is if it does really dry up badly, just enough rain for germination & dries again. Lots of organic matter or good soil- be ok. If u worked mediocre quality soil or plant in low Organic matter soil- risky.

Now, one way u can insure success.... try to find the spots later that didn’t come up ideally & spread more seed until it’s filled in. Easy, quick & cheap. If u can’t do that.... ideally don’t choose poor quality soil with very little moisture & ideally don’t tear it up taking the moisture out. If u do tear up soil- light very top layer with disc/cultipacker only. The last insurance is IF a brassica failure happens- u have PLENTY of time & options for the Dbltree cereal mix. If a guy spends time to take care of soil, pick decent soil, fertilizes & kills weeds correctly - brassica failures are far less common than anyone could imagine. Check the boxes on doing it right & should be just fine. Hot dry July’s are very normal & par for the course. RAIN OR SHINE JULY 29. ;)

How long you think a guy needs to wait after 2,4d in mix to spray to plant brassicas? I was going to go get some liberty but ran out of time today. I have Gly w/ ams and 2,4d "in stock". I have 10 days in my head. Is that enough?

Top Bottom