Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Home Costs

Hey guys, I know a few of you on here have built shed homes and I'm wondering if you could give me any ideas on cost. Obviously final cost would depend on size and finishes, but wondering about average cost/sq. ft. Wondering if there is a breakdown on the cost of the building and then to finish it out. Thanks!

I had a 1400sqft Morton cabin built with a front porch 2 years ago. The building was about $30/sqft plus another $15k for the 4' foundation and 6" thick flatwork. Price included 4 windows, front door, garage door, insulation and a few other minor things. Built in middle of nowhere.

It is nothing real fancy but we absolutely love it and the guys from Morton were 100% professionals and were a pleasure to work with.

As with everything, you can cut costs a hundred different ways but I wanted it done so I could enjoy it asap.

I hear of people building one themselves and they can cut costs by 50%.

I had a 1400sqft Morton cabin built with a front porch 2 years ago. The building was about $30/sqft plus another $15k for the 4' foundation and 6" thick flatwork. Price included 4 windows, front door, garage door, insulation and a few other minor things. Built in middle of nowhere.

It is nothing real fancy but we absolutely love it and the guys from Morton were 100% professionals and were a pleasure to work with.

As with everything, you can cut costs a hundred different ways but I wanted it done so I could enjoy it asap.

I hear of people building one themselves and they can cut costs by 50%.

So about 57k? Is that with electricity, water etc?

no, that is just the building on concrete:

Here are some rough numbers as to what I spent. Keep in mind that distance to utilities jacks the prices up a lot

Grading 4500
Rural water hook up & meter 3000
Framing 1600
interior doors 700
trim 600
Drywall 5000
water line to cabin from 1/4 mile away 4000
plumbing inside cabin(including kitchen sink, vanity, toilet, shower, water heater. plumbing lines & hookup) 14000
electric from utility pole to cabin 6800
HVAC & Ducts 7000
Septic 4200
kitchen cabinets & countertop 4700
Appliances (fridge, oven, microwave, washer, dryer, etc.) 4800
Gravel road to cabin 3000
Probably another 12k in beds, couch, TV, blinds

It was around 120k when all done. Move in ready. The Mrs broke to budget on furnishings, kitchen cabinets and bathroom. I broke the budget on most everything else. In the end it was totally worth it!

This is very helpful. Thanks Lucky 13. How much of the 1400 did you finish as living area? All if it, or was some left as garage?

Houses with full basements and good/decent finishes probably running $120-140/SF. I think a guy could get a pole building house done in the $75-80/SF range.

rjack- everything is finished(the garage is finished with OSB board instead of drywall). It is 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen/living room, utility/laundry room, small garage. We tried to build it to be nice but as low maintenance as possible. We had the concrete floors sealed and finished when poured so no carpeting or other flooring. It is nice to be able to come in with muddy boots and not care. Ceilings are about 10'6'' so it makes it feel bigger than it really is.

Charlie- not real sure. I will try to find it in the plans and some pics of the interior

upload_2019-8-1_19-9-16.png

Reactions: Lou
I'm a builder, I could build you one for $120-140 a sq ft if I worked for free and paid for some of your materials
I just helped my buddy 8 months ago they process....he was at $131/SF. I dont know what prices have done since then but that's where it was.

My moms house also burned down a year ago and she was at 150 but prolly nicer finishes than most.

What are you averaging? Curious.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just came across this, as an example. Take 25k out for the lot and this new build is at $133/SF.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1909-Dogwood-Ln_Winterset_IA_50273_M87946-82977
I live in a rural area where it seems like our subcontractors prices have gotten out of control (about 90 min from Omaha and Des Moines area). There are very few guys who do concrete so they charge whatever they want, same for plumbers and electricians. I don't think there is a contractor within 40 miles+ that could use local subs and build a house for less than $170 a sq ft. I built one last year that was originally contracted for $170 sq ft but ended up around $190 with change orders. Most homes built in my area are for rich farmers and I would say average price is $225 if not more.

I built mine in 2012,not a traditional shed house but close. I did a 36x36 story and a half barn, 14ft side walls. My wife has horses so the down stairs is stalls and a tack room, laundry room with half bath. Upstairs is one bed one bath with open kitchen dining and living room. I was at around $1ook total but did all the construction myself, hired the electric, plumbing and septic tank.

59165418145e04b2d8fd1433a788f9ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming!

Houses with full basements and good/decent finishes probably running $120-140/SF. I think a guy could get a pole building house done in the $75-80/SF range.
I live in a rural area where it seems like our subcontractors prices have gotten out of control (about 90 min from Omaha and Des Moines area). There are very few guys who do concrete so they charge whatever they want, same for plumbers and electricians. I don't think there is a contractor within 40 miles+ that could use local subs and build a house for less than $170 a sq ft. I built one last year that was originally contracted for $170 sq ft but ended up around $190 with change orders. Most homes built in my area are for rich farmers and I would say average price is $225 if not more.

For stick built, I've been quoted between $150-225/sq ft with basement, depending on finishes ($225 was custom made everything). Modular homes have been quoted at about $135 (I believe without the basement).

rjack- everything is finished(the garage is finished with OSB board instead of drywall). It is 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen/living room, utility/laundry room, small garage. We tried to build it to be nice but as low maintenance as possible. We had the concrete floors sealed and finished when poured so no carpeting or other flooring. It is nice to be able to come in with muddy boots and not care. Ceilings are about 10'6'' so it makes it feel bigger than it really is.

Charlie- not real sure. I will try to find it in the plans and some pics of the interior

View attachment 118410

Those look like 12' walls to me, but could be wrong. Are the ceilings dropped down from the trusses, or attached to them? For the 4' foundation, is that basically a 4' concrete footing under the entire perimeter of the slab, or just at the posts?

StickersNKickers-
I think the plans list the height at 11'6'. The interior ceiling height is about 10'6". It has 4' concrete under the entire perimeter with 2" thick blue board insulation on the inside of that. It kept the concrete floor from getting cold this winter.

StickersNKickers-
I think the plans list the height at 11'6'. The interior ceiling height is about 10'6". It has 4' concrete under the entire perimeter with 2" thick blue board insulation on the inside of that. It kept the concrete floor from getting cold this winter.

So the 2" insulation is flat under the floor, not vertical along the foundation, correct? I'm assuming the foundation/insulation is not normal practice for a post frame building that is intended for a shed use.

I'm now wondering about costs of converting an existing shed to living space as well.

So the 2" insulation is flat under the floor, not vertical along the foundation, correct? I'm assuming the foundation/insulation is not normal practice for a post frame building that is intended for a shed use.

I'm now wondering about costs of converting an existing shed to living space as well.
I did both when I built mine. Ran the PEX for the in floor heat on top of the insul then poured concrete. Run vertical 2" insul between the posts down 24" as well.

Top Bottom