Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

This year is getting bad by the minute, I spend a lot of time out on the farm and feel that I have at least average skills of woodsmanship. The DNR map shows about 3-4 for the county I am in I know of a confirmed about 40. I am convinced that there is no correlation between drought and EHD. These are also areas that have crazy high deer density’s so this may be the correction needed but still is a setback to age structure .

What boggles my mind is the fact that Dnr will not reduce doe tags in affected areas. They have told me directly that the doe tags are purely for herd control, not financial gain. But when I asked about reducing warren county doe tags they said they would not. I live in highly impacted portion of warren county. Every small pond and stream within 5 miles of me has dead deer in it. Farmers around me are excited for the death toll. Even the owner of the 1000 ac I lease. Depressed and angry at the same time.

What boggles my mind is the fact that Dnr will not reduce doe tags in affected areas. They have told me directly that the doe tags are purely for herd control, not financial gain. But when I asked about reducing warren county doe tags they said they would not. I live in highly impacted portion of warren county. Every small pond and stream within 5 miles of me has dead deer in it. Farmers around me are excited for the death toll. Even the owner of the 1000 ac I lease. Depressed and angry at the same time.

Very depressing... I would hope no one would be excited about this? But yeah I’m sure there are.

I walked up on a doe yesterday who appeared to have died next to a drainage cut. I figured she was a victim of EHD. I got to 10 yrds and she popped up, stumbled 3-4 times, then faced planted into the dirt. I heard her repeat that sequence about 4 or 5 times over the next 20 minutes as I walked in the area assessing wind damage at our farm in So Iowa. No gun, no knife - I felt like crap not being able to put her out of her misery.

This is not an advertisement!! Just letting everyone know about it! Im testing this yr and the deer just pound it! They love it! Only one claiming this technology !! So far so good on my farm!!! Take a look !! They claim there technology makes deer imune to ehd?? Look it up ! Cant hurt!!
7c5648ca0676c0a4cfd4444ee2e85807.jpg

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

This is not an advertisement!! Just letting everyone know about it! Im testing this yr and the deer just pound it! They love it! Only one claiming this technology !! So far so good on my farm!!! Take a look !! They claim there technology makes deer imune to ehd?? Look it up ! Cant hurt!!

Sounds too good to be true !!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting hammered guys. Driving around last few nights and deer numbers are WAY down. Driving anywhere near creeks smells of DEATH.

Getting hammered guys. Driving around last few nights and deer numbers are WAY down. Driving anywhere near creeks smells of DEATH.

It’s been going on for over 3 weeks. I’m shocked more guys aren’t talking about this. Seems like everyone is in denial. I live in Osceola. Some farms have been completely decimated. Im outside for work daily and I’m finding them every day without even looking for them. Came across a doe, literally dying before my eyes near a public parking lot on Steven state last night. It’s shaping up to be worse than 2012.

There’s areas that are losing 90% or maybe all of deer. Yes - this is happening. Not just “one farm”. Spoke with person w/dnr today & yes, this is reality & its intense in 4 counties now. Likely more. Again- if u see reports “50 confirmed cases” - IMO & experience- multiply that by 10-20 or maybe way more.
Good point on above- it’s not directly drought related. Correct. This is a growing epidemic & this did not happen 20-30 years ago & data supports that. We need a lot more research on this. No doubt. IMO - I think a lot of this would be traced to cattle transportation but maybe I’m wrong. I’m sure there’s a lot more to this. It’s pretty disturbing seeing the 3rd nasty ehd/BT outbreak & over last 15 or so years.... it seems to get more intense in those “hard hit areas”. Some major factors have changed & we need research & answers on this.

Did some research. It never claims to give immunity.

Last Friday I walk a major creek that was in the epicenter for EHD in 2013. I walked 6.2 miles and I found nothing related to EHD. Hopefully my area is spared this year..... fingers crossed but I feel for the guys in this four county area definitely not a good situation for the next few years!

On above mineral.... here’s the “angle” in a short nutshell of what certain types of mineral are “aiming for”....
Immunity boosting... everything from overall better health with multiple vitamins to actual things that boost immunity like selenium, etc, etc.

Vasodilators.... increased blood flow, etc. allows body to cool down is a major benefit. Some benefits against biting insects and hemorrhaging diseases. Niacin & thiamine would be 2 examples of that.

Repelling insects from biting ..... any mineral or feed that’s transformed into sulfur for one example.... sulfur itself, garlic, etc.

List goes on but I’ll keep this shorter ;). Then we’ll have a % “will spread cwd”. Which I won’t even get into that. We can look at cwd areas like WI where they’ve had it now for years @ high levels. But again, I’ll table the cwd discussion.
Seeing some areas lose 60-95% of deer every 10 years - growing more SEVERE & FREQUENT - it’s gotta make a guy wonder how this can happen & how this can be solved. ?!?!?

I have to agree. It seems adding seasons or allowing use of tags for additional seasons or adding methods of taking always comes pretty easy but the opposite in the face of overwhelming evidence doesn't seem to turn a wheel...Hundreds of deer being found dead and no reduction in doe tags, really!

I have some contacts that claim parts of the worst hit area this year were not hit as hard in 2012/2013. Reports this summer of over 100 deer on one particular 80 acre tract. This is from two avid hunters and they recognize over population in some areas could be to blame. In regards to changes from 20 to 30 years ago could some of that be blamed on more temperate climate/temps allowing the new strains to move further north? I know this is blamed on bumblebee populations moving north.

Last edited:
In Kansas we have 1/3 of the deer population you guys do and probably 20 times the number of cattle that you have. You have a lot more ag compared to our pastures. If it is cattle causing the problems then we should get wiped out year after year. I have 3 pastures and 3 new sets of cattle each May till November.

I don’t believe it is cattle but when I see posts saying 100 dead deer on 80 acres I gotta believe it is a population issue. I don’t have 25 deer on 2000 acres at any given moment. You take massive over population and big demand for water and you have a problem.

Everyone wants to be so protective of their deer that they limit numbers harvested and in many cases none get killed on some farms in Iowa because they don’t have a target buck they are excited about. That drives over population which brings us to days like this where all of that protection is for naught. Wouldn’t it be better to have a few more hunters to keep the herd in check versus getting wiped out every 4-5 years?

I could be wrong but nowhere else that I am aware of are they this protective and have the EHD problems Iowa has. Just my 2cents!!

In Kansas we have 1/3 of the deer population you guys do and probably 20 times the number of cattle that you have. You have a lot more ag compared to our pastures. If it is cattle causing the problems then we should get wiped out year after year. I have 3 pastures and 3 new sets of cattle each May till November.

I don’t believe it is cattle but when I see posts saying 100 dead deer on 80 acres I gotta believe it is a population issue. I don’t have 25 deer on 2000 acres at any given moment. You take massive over population and big demand for water and you have a problem.

Everyone wants to be so protective of their deer that they limit numbers harvested and in many cases none get killed on some farms in Iowa because they don’t have a target buck they are excited about. That drives over population which brings us to days like this where all of that protection is for naught. Wouldn’t it be better to have a few more hunters to keep the herd in check versus getting wiped out every 4-5 years?

I could be wrong but nowhere else that I am aware of are they this protective and have the EHD problems Iowa has. Just my 2cents!!
Michigan has a hunter hiding around just about every tree has had horrible EHD outbreaks just as bad as Iowa. Some areas were damn near wiped clean of deer in the last decade. So, I am not sure that argument holds water either. my 2 c.

Top Bottom