Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogs

Oct-Lull

Does anyone know the actual law or if there is a law on dogs chasing deer. I was under the impression it was illegal but cant seem to find any real clarification.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pretty loose law... if the owners don't care to keep them tied and your sheriff or CO dont care to pursue it then you are hosed.

Or you can S.S.S. that's what I've had to do in the past when talking to the above didntd get me anywhere

Pretty loose law... if the owners don't care to keep them tied and your sheriff or CO dont care to pursue it then you are hosed.

Or you can S.S.S. that's what I've had to do in the past when talking to the above didntd get me anywhere
Thats what I gathered as well. I get the impression that if one was to turn up missing they would stop hunting all together. Borders public and they run it 2 times a day. They swing thru 4 farms and are bound to be caugjt sooner or later.

Trapping season started yesterday...that can sometimes lead to a roving dog not coming back.

Main issue is its the landowner of the main farm i hunt. Not that they stay on that farm. They run a loop at daybreak and primetime each evening. They run the deer hard and have killed fawns. Every single day.

Find somewhere else I the landowners dogs are the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find somewhere else I the landowners dogs are the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I already hunt alot of public. Finding new private in this area is especially tough. Besides the fact I was under the understanding that is wasnt ok

Main issue is its the landowner of the main farm i hunt. Not that they stay on that farm. They run a loop at daybreak and primetime each evening. They run the deer hard and have killed fawns. Every single day.

If it's the landowners dogs, leave it alone. No good will come from addressing the"problem" . Not for you anyway.

If it's the landowners dogs, leave it alone. No good will come from addressing the"problem" . Not for you anyway.
So its leave it alone and not hunt it for 10 years til the dog dies of old age? Its the principle. Someone is going to take care of it and the result will end up in my lap regardless. The dogs run the public and i already ran into a guy who said he was going to sss if he saw them again.

If it's the landowners dogs then you got bigger problems if he wont tie them up. Call him in you're losing that spot. Get caught "taking care of business" you lose that spot. I'd politely talk to him about it and see what he says.

So its leave it alone and not hunt it for 10 years til the dog dies of old age? Its the principle. Someone is going to take care of it and the result will end up in my lap regardless. The dogs run the public and i already ran into a guy who said he was going to sss if he saw them again.

It might be the principle but its not your land. If it was me I would leave it alone and hope someone else takes care of it.

It might be the principle but its not your land. If it was me I would leave it alone and hope someone else takes care of it.
Its not just thier land, its all over the public. Easy to say from a distance just deal with it. 2 times each day makes it worthless to hunt. We have discussed it with the land owner and they are clueless. I cant believe there isnt a law against it.

Its not just thier land, its all over the public. Easy to say from a distance just deal with it. 2 times each day makes it worthless to hunt. We have discussed it with the land owner and they are clueless. I cant believe there isnt a law against it.

I hear your frustration. A few years back I had 4 dogs all over the place where I hunted, it was infuriating. One day they suddenly went away... and like Forrest Gump said "that's all I have to say about that "

There are laws on letting dogs run loose but you have to initiate/instigate/escalate the situation... and I think you'll regret it if you do. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty then make your plan/decision and do it quietly and let this thread go by the wayside.

In time the dogs will go away and properly quicker then you think. I bet some of the guys that hunt that land frequently will take care of business.

Leave an "anonymous" note on their door addressing the problem and letting them know the outcome if they dont fix the issue... Hopefully theyll think it was from someone else that hunts the public next door and theyll either fix the problem or deal with the outcome.

Why don't you show the landowner this thread to get the point across to them that there are tons of people out there that value shooting a deer way more than someone's pet? If they don't keep their dogs off of public land, it's only a matter of time until the dogs have an encounter with one of those people. When that time comes, that person will happily kill their dog to get rid of it.

Yes I've had it happen to me. I wasn't happy about it. I moved and hunted somewhere else in public land.

This person is letting you hunt their land, and people are on here telling you to shoot their dogs. Warn them that there are other people telling you they want to shoot them and that they need to chain them up at least during hunting season.

Or be the kind of hunter that puts killing a brown animal with big horns on top of his head above everything else in life and shoot someone's pet. Better pop the squirrel hunters that come by too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just tell the owner you were stopped by a couple guys hunting the public and they asked if the dogs belonged to you? They told you the dogs might go missing if caught running the public land again.

Just tell the owner you were stopped by a couple guys hunting the public and they asked if the dogs belonged to you? They told you the dogs might go missing if caught running the public land again.
This actually did happen already early in the season. I told them about it and the wife wants to put cameras out on the property line and public so if they go missing they can prosecute someone? Shes crazy and unrealistic, they say they they will try locking them up during the day this week but they will they dont understand they take off.as soon as released. Hate to see them lose a dog, really truly do but you cant let them do what they do.

Top Bottom