Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.22 Recommendations for youth

Oct-Lull

My son who who will be 9 soon wants a .22 for Christmas. He wants to hunt squirrels and use the hides to make a pillow. That being said i was thinking a bolt action as a starter but havent found one that seems like a good fit. I go back to a Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22 as the best physical fit but not sure semi auto is the best to start. I had a Henry lever when i was younger and it wasnt the best finish but it was light and accurate. Help

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I started with a marlin model 60. Still have and use it. Been a great gun. 10/22 is also a good choice. Cant go wrong with either one.

I started with a marlin model 60. Still have and use it. Been a great gun. 10/22 is also a good choice. Cant go wrong with either one.
Thats the other factor, i want it to be a life long gun

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I gave my son who was 8 last Christmas my grandpa’s 1906 Winchester pump. My brother who is a gunsmith restored it to look better than new. It is short enough that he can easily fit behind it and shoots it lights out!

I was originally going to give him a Henry Golden Boy that I won at a sporting clays shoot but the stock was too long and I didn’t want to chop it. The little pump was perfect and will never decrees in value! If you look around you can still get them at a decent price.

Remember if they can hit their target they will keep shooting. If the gun doesn’t fit and they struggle they will lose interest!! Good luck.

Henry makes a youth model with a shorter LOP. You could order a standard length stock when he gets older or he'll have the perfect gun to pass on to his kids.

I have a browning lever action. It's got that sleeve that holds 12-15 rounds below the barrel. I got it as a kid and plan to give it to my boy eventually. Has always worked flawlessly .

Another vote for a 10/22. Lifetime gun ( I know...most guns are). I have had mine since high school 30+ years ago. I bought a youth stock from Brownells for $50 for my kids to use it.

p_984000001_1.jpg

Looks like their price is up to $83 :(

I have a browning lever action. It's got that sleeve that holds 12-15 rounds below the barrel. I got it as a kid and plan to give it to my boy eventually. Has always worked flawlessly .

I love my BL-22. I’ve had it since I was a kid and it still gets more play time than any other .22 rifle

What about a Marlin XT-22YR youth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids use a ruger 10/22 with a plain jane synthetic stock and stainless barrel. Nothing fancy but it's easy for them to use.

Top Bottom