Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shooting deer from your own deck

Novis1

Hello all. I came across this site a few days ago and have found a lot of interesting reading on a variety of subjects. One of the older post was something about Is it illeagle to interfere with someones hunt. (Crazy story) Within that thread someone mentioned that you can shoot from your own porch (as long as you are not within the 200 yards of the neighbors house or feed lot....)

My question...Is it actually legal to do so. I was told that it was not legal and that the DNR was actively looking for people shooting fron their hous/decks. I could not find any regulation prohibiting it. If it is illegal where can I find that regulation/law.

I love getting out there in the woods and enjoyinh the hunt but I am also not opposed to putting meat in the freezer from the porch if the opportunity presents itslef. I have no other housed close to worry about.

Thanks!

I am not aware of any law or rule that would prohibit shooting a deer from your own deck, or house, or even from a deck or house that you have the owner's permission to use that way...as long as you maintain the 200 yard buffer and are outside city limits, etc.

Heck I'm waiting on my first deer while in a hot tub. You don't know fishbonker by chance?

Ha! I was given a tour of a farm in Missouri once that came pretty close to this. While most of the farm was dedicated to trophy deer habitat, they maintained a dedicated dove shooting field that came up right behind the house. There was a deck attached to the back of the house, with an active hot tub in it, that was just off of the tip of the dove shooting field. You truly could shoot doves from the hot tub and I am pretty sure that they did that some times. :)

The only law I can think of that would address any part of shooting from inside a house (through a window) would be during the shotgun seasons you would technically need orange on each side of your house since it would be used as a blind. Shooting from an exterior deck should eliminate that need. As far as the 200 yard rule goes, that is ONLY for when you don't have permission from the owner or tenant to do so. If you have permission, you do not have to maintain that 200 yard buffer. I believe this law gets misinterpreted a lot.

Hi Goatman. That sounds like a good idea! Make sure you have on your Blaze Orange speedo :) I am brand new to the forum so I don't know if I know anyone here yet.

You don't know fishbonker by chance?

You don't wanna know Fishbonker.

I haven't shot at any deer from my deck but I got this 'yote off the deck a few years ago. He was putting the sneak on some poults while I put the crosshairs on him.

yote.jpg

If you are the owner of the Property and you are within 200 yards of a occupied building you do not need permission to fire a firearm. If you are not the owner you cannot shot a firearm within 200 yards of a occupied building without permission!

Top Bottom