Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is an average buck in Southern IA

what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
This may be the post of the year. I literally had tears rolling down my face and for that I thank you!!!!!

Loneranger you cannot talk negatively about your neighbors if your doing the same thing. I get that your a meat hunter, hell we are all meat hunters here! And i also dont care what anyone shoots as long as they did it legally. But if your not willing to pass a deer in hopes of them getting older than you cant expect your neighbors to do the same.

Back to the OP:
I have hunted in several counties and I would agree with Iowabowhunter1983 in his mini chart. But I will say that far more deer dont make it to 150 because of genetics than deer making it to 170. But the genetics I believe are so area dependant. Even the same counties can vary so much its unreal. You can literally have great genetic deer in one section and the section 2 miles away will be 20" smaller. Lots of variables I am sure.

would love to hear what you would assume his “type-o” was intended to say?

Also, he clearly was bitching about there being no 4 year olds to hunt; then proceeds to say he shot a 3 year old. Kind of like a guy saying his neighbors shoots all the pheasants and there’s none to hunt; then proceeds to shoot the one rooster he had living under his cedar tree in his grove. If I don’t shoot that buck, my neighbor will. Proceeds to complain there’s no big deer the following year to hunt. I could go on and on and on.

Sometimes I wonder if people comprehend their logic before they post this stuff over social media. Blows my mind.

I assume he meant to type Booners.

I get shooting a 3 year old is not part of the solution to seeing older deer. But, based off of his obeservations that is what he sees. Back to the OP's post, not all parts of southern IA are going to have big 4-6 year old bucks on it, in lonerangers case, its tough just to see a 3 year old, so when he gets the opportunity to take one he does. And whether that is right or wrong that is the case all over, some people hunt for meat, others for age class and antler size. Just because you are in southern IA doesn't mean you are going to have big deer on the specific property you hunt. All over southern IA there are hunters that will shoot 3.5 and younger deer.

Last edited:
what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Other than 'boners' (i'm sure a typeo, that did make me laugh) I'm not sure what was bad about this post. I took his post as logic. He hunts in an area where its tough to get a buck to 4+ years old and even seeing a 3 year old is tough. Even if he shoots the 3 year old so be it. It was tough just to see one 3 year old. Having good neighbors and enough acerage is incredibly important. Whats wrong with this post?
The OP clearly wanted a conversation about average buck score; whether he's wanted to know how big his 3/4yr olds should be or how big his mature deer should be. Great question and I wonder myself. True to form, loneranger has got to tell us about the 2 deer he sees every year, the drought, and mushy turnips. He knows it, he prefaces his comments with it. It's all good. I know he can take a little riff.

Just the way it is here. Large variation from area to area and from talking to other deer hunters not that far away I have concluded that acreage size and neighbors are a factor on how old deer get. Again my observations are not just with 3 year old bucks and older. I see many yearlins. A few 2 yr olds. Some years 1 3 yr old. Now where do the many yearlings go? What happened to the 2 yr olds. ? Obviously a good share of the yearlings and 2 yr olds are harvested every season by somebody’s. I start at 3 yrs old. By then bucks are quite hefty with decent meat. You will say if you want more bucks shoot multiple does. Again. Some years I see gew does. Just the way it is. Much better than where I left where DNR told me 75 to 80 percent of all bucks are usually gone by the first 3 days of rifle season! Up there a 2 yr old buck was considered great! And a mature buck. Also the past 2 Summers. SE Iowa was in a Severe drought situation. A fact. Crazy extremes. Last year flood watches in Spring. Drought in the Summer. My turnips this year did great.

Few does I meant. I have seen better doe numbers around this season. Possibly next season I will pass on any buck. Under 4 yrs. I did this season. And if I have to take 2 does. Hard to do though when you figure. Taking 2 doe is really taking possibly 4 to 6 deer.

Drought plus very few nice bucks in Iowa? I’d be moving to another area. Just a suggestion.

Yep drought last 3 Summers. Nice bucks? To me mine are nice. 3. 4. Occasional 5 yr old. Is enough for me. Just saying usually takes the whole month of November. And just saying should be more 2 yr olds surviving. Should be more 3 yr olds surviving. Many obviously taken out. Just saying. Varies alot from one area to another. Amount of safe acreage and what poaching and neighbors are doing makes a difference. Can be said about any State

Also. Not here just for the hunting. Many things more important

I’m not saying “you” have to move, but if neighbors are terrible-it’s an option... I’m just saying I would. But I’m in different boat as NR. No problem I here you.

Thanks. I am happy with the hunting. Not bad on my small 40 acres with just 3 stands. I like a challenge. I once thought coming to Iowa that deer hunting would be about equal wherever you were. Timber, crops, about everywhere. Wrong. It varies much from place to place. Same in any State.

Thanks. I am happy with the hunting. Not bad on my small 40 acres with just 3 stands. I like a challenge. I once thought coming to Iowa that deer hunting would be about equal wherever you were. Timber, crops, about everywhere. Wrong. It varies much from place to place. Same in any State.

As much as you complain about your situation now I can't imagine if you were unhappy. You'd bring down the whole internet!!

Not complainin. Just observing the way things are. As before stated. When I first arrived in Iowa and decided to hunt I assumed deer hunting would be about the same anywhere. Especially within just a few miles. Same timber and crops bout everywhere. It isn’t. Varies widely. I believe I have been quite successful on my small acreage with just 3 permanent stands in my neighborhood.

Top Bottom