Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THE WISCONSIN STORY.....

I think NR Landowners are great. If they are doing it legally, and hunting it themselves, they can only their own property every few years. Think of the bucks those properties could grow. Less pressure. Very little harvest. Now if they allow others on their off years, then its not much different than any other farm.
The NRs claiming residency are the only bad apples in my eyes.

Couldn’t agree more. Let’s also address the multiple deer killing Amish and the evening “coyote hunting” to make sure they’re doing it right?!

RJack. Good point. Take my neighborhood at present. Most of the land is resident owned. They permit no hunting besides family. That’s not changing whether it’s R or NR owned.

A resident would not obtain permission from the resident landowners in my block, but many are quick to blame NR landowners for lack of access. Not accurate.

I don't think NR are a big issue in lack of land access under the current rules. But, change those NR rules and it could get much worse. There certainly are farmers doing well in Iowa. But, let a NR landowner hunt in Iowa every year and I believe prices would jump tremendously from the other 49 states with individuals way wealthier than Iowa farmers. Farms that are now owned by Iowa farmers who do allow others to hunt would quickly be sold to NR who will pay well above current market rates to be able to hunt Iowa every year.

I have read your posts on this thread and am still wondering what you are advocating for. You applaud us for fighting to keep good trophy potential, but you seem to want something to change.

I too "wish" Colorado would let me (a NR) hunt the trophy elk units each year, but I know that is silly - they would quickly quit being trophy units. Iowa wants to be a trophy unit, other states don't. Pick the one you want to hunt and be OK with their rules.

I never said change anything. I’m saying there are bigger threats to your trophy hunting than the NR landowner.

If you don’t know most NR landowners do hunt every year by drawing a shotgun anysex tag or with a doe tag/party hunt deal. We often draw with no points. Prices have risen in concert because of that ability.

I’m sharing my experiences over 18 years of land ownership there. Residents lock up more land than NRs , there are no NR landowners besides me in my area, the Amish hunting year around, and farmers who also shoot what they want are the issues in my neighborhood.

Never said change anything. You’re assuming that because I’m a NR landowner. Read more closely

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. Let’s also address the multiple deer killing Amish and the evening “coyote hunting” to make sure they’re doing it right?!

Now you are talking about law enforcement - I am all for that. I would guess that is more of an issue for NR if it is known they are not around.

I own 10 acres.
Neighbor 1 owns 40.
Neighbor 2 owns 30.
Neighbor 3 owns 80.
Neighbor 4 owns 20.

You know what all these places have in common? They all have a driveway, most of them are long.
And on the front of my truck is a plow. Guess who I plow every time it snows.
Guess who has a shovel in his hand doing sidewalks every time it snows. My son.

Guess how many acres me and my son get to hunt every year. Answer...180 acres.

Not saying everyone has this opportunity, just saying being a good neighbor and throwing a helping hand can go a long way toward some big back straps.

Last edited:
Daver, that’s awesome. That’s what the sport should be about. I too permit my resident neighbor, and his son in law, to hunt my place with access to any stand they choose.

There’s more than enough deer and if one of them take “ my target buck” good for them. Building relationships are far more important to me than a deer.
My point was that NRs are depicted as swooping in with unlimited cash, buying up the rec ground to the chagrin of not as fortunate residents, when in fact my Iowa neighbors do really well . Read the entire thread.
So what kind of land did you buy Jdubs? Are you crop farming or is it recreational? Are there open invitations to hunt your land?

No. Just like the Residents in my area family only. As I stated earlier if you read the thread I permit my resident neighbor and his son in law to hunt every year. That good enough? Can I hunt your place?

Last edited:
Ill never understand how anyone can justify telling a non resident tax paying landowner in Iowa or any other state that they can’t hunt it, fish it, mushroom hunt it, cut wood on it, farm it, or any other recreational activity on it every year. I understand some of the by products mentioned by some posters of changing that would be negative (there are positives too) but regardless, that truly seems unamerican as unamerican can get. I’m almost suprised they can do it legally. Non residents that don’t own land only being able to hunt only every few years and charging a lot of money for that tag I get, no problem. Curious to hear more from you guys on how you see it differently.

Ill never understand how anyone can justify telling a non resident tax paying landowner in Iowa or any other state that they can’t hunt it, fish it, mushroom hunt it, cut wood on it, farm it, or any other recreational activity on it every year. I understand some of the by products mentioned by some posters of changing that would be negative (there are positives too) but regardless, that truly seems unamerican as unamerican can get. I’m almost suprised they can do it legally. Non residents that don’t own land only being able to hunt only every few years and charging a lot of money for that tag I get, no problem. Curious to hear more from you guys on how you see it differently.
The easiest way to justify it is that non residents(myself included) know the laws in Iowa before they purchase a property and should not expect them to be changed for them. Also pretty much the only thing a non resident can’t do each year is kill a buck, no laws about hunting does and a lot of other game. I’ll never understand why people buy in Iowa to hunt and then want it to change so that it’s just like other states, It reminds me of when immigrants come to the US and then bitch about it not being more like the shithole they just left. Iowa is a special place for whitetails and I hope that the residents fight to keep it that way.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
The easiest way to justify it is that non residents(myself included) know the laws in Iowa before they purchase a property and should not expect them to be changed for them. Also pretty much the only thing a non resident can’t do each year is kill a buck, no laws about hunting does and a lot of other game. I’ll never understand why people buy in Iowa to hunt and then want it to change so that it’s just like other states, It reminds me of when immigrants come to the US and then bitch about it not being more like the shithole they just left. Iowa is a special place for whitetails and I hope that the residents fight to keep it that way.
Your comment was a breath of fresh air!!
Glad to see some people get what’s going on in Iowa and what we are try to preserve...

We’ll have to respectfully disagree. I’m as protective of the whitetail herd and management for old/big deer as there is so it absolutely pains me to say this but even if meant Iowa would turn in to Michigan as far as the quality of the bucks (which it wouldn’t, at worst it would be like illinois or Ohio) I’d STILL have to have the same opinion. It’s way bigger than a deer issue in my opinion. As I said it’s dang near communism to tell a landowner in the United States of America that they can’t do something on their own land. Just because a communist country tells you what their beliefs/laws are before you make a decision to move there or not doesn’t make those laws/rules right.

I’d add that you’re picking bucks, big bucks, as being ok to prevent a NR landowner to hunt every year (because like me you’re passionate about hinting big deer, I get it) but seem ok with does, squirrels, turkey, fish, mushrooms, sheds, rabbits, pheasants or any other recreational pursuit being perfectly ok. Would you also feel it to be acceptable if all of those things couldn’t be done annually for a NR landowner? I mean why is one ok but not all of them as long as the potential NR buyer knows it up front? You can’t possibly feel that that’s how this country operates and what makes it great?

I’d add that you’re picking bucks, big bucks, as being ok to prevent a NR landowner to hunt every year (because like me you’re passionate about hinting big deer, I get it) but seem ok with does, squirrels, turkey, fish, mushrooms, sheds, rabbits, pheasants or any other recreational pursuit being perfectly ok. Would you also feel it to be acceptable if all of those things couldn’t be done annually for a NR landowner? I mean why is one ok but not all of them as long as the potential NR buyer knows it up front? You can’t possibly feel that that’s how this country operates and what makes it great?

We’ll have to respectfully disagree. I’m as protective of the whitetail herd and management for old/big deer as there is so it absolutely pains me to say this but even if meant Iowa would turn in to Michigan as far as the quality of the bucks (which it wouldn’t, at worst it would be like illinois or Ohio) I’d STILL have to have the same opinion. It’s way bigger than a deer issue in my opinion. As I said it’s dang near communism to tell a landowner in the United States of America that they can’t do something on their own land. Just because a communist country tells you what their beliefs/laws are before you make a decision to move there or not doesn’t make those laws/rules right.
I’m sorry but I don’t equate not being able to kill a buck on my farm every year to communism. Since were tax paying citizens would it be ok to shoot dope on my farm or would you consider that communism too. Just trying to figure out if your against all laws or just the ones you don’t like.

I would be fine with that if I bought the land already knowing those laws existed, probably wouldn’t be thrilled about it if those laws came into effect after I purchased but I would always have the option to sell if I didn’t like it.

I’m sorry but I don’t equate not being able to kill a buck on my farm every year to communism. Since were tax paying citizens would it be ok to shoot dope on my farm or would you consider that communism too. Just trying to figure out if your against all laws or just the ones you don’t like.

Not positive I know what you mean by “shoot dope”? If u mean grow weed than I would say that’s not something I would do personally but yea if it was perfectly legal for landowners in Iowa to do that but not ok for one demographic of landowner (be it Non Resident, Legal immigrant, or african american) than I would absolutely say that that’s unamerican.

• Deleted by Rous14
Show…
Not positive I know what you mean by “shoot dope”? If u mean grow weed than I would say that’s not something I would do personally but yea if it was perfectly legal for landowners in Iowa to do that but not ok for one demographic of landowner (be it Non Resident, Legal immigrant, or african american) than I would absolutely say that that’s unamerican.
We could go on and on about this and I’m sure we’re not going to see eye to eye on it. I’m a NR landowner and I love the laws the way they are, if you don’t like them and think they’re unamerican I suggest you don’t spend your time and money there and hunt other states where the hunting isn’t half as good but align more with your beliefs .

We could go on and on about this and I’m sure we’re not going to see eye to eye on it. I’m a NR landowner and I love the laws the way they are, if you don’t like them and think they’re unamerican I suggest you don’t spend your time and money there and hunt other states where the hunting isn’t half as good but align more with your beliefs .

Fair enough. I appreciate you being respectful even though we disagree. Bottom line for me I guess is that it’s not a hunting issue at its core and for you it is and we can agree to disagree. I’d also add that you are implying that if NR landowners were allowed to hunt their own land the way every other resident landowner does that that would result in some measurably negative impact on the quality of deer there and end up “like other states that are half as good”. Why? How can that conclusion be drawn? Isn’t it just as possible that the hunting would get better? I mean it all depends on the management goals of a buyer/owner of land as to whether or not the hunting/habitat gets improved or not regardless of where that person is from. I believe Skip, Winke, Lakosky, Drury, along w some friends of mine here in MI that have bought out there have absolutely been a net positive for the quality of the herd and would be regardless of where they choose to live. Whether they live there or not isn’t going to change the fact they’re letting young deer walk and targeting mature animals. I’m sure you’re in the same mold and prove my point. Very few hunters that are willing to invest the time, money and resources to buy land in IA and drive clear out there from whatever state they live in are doing that to kill 125” bucks, many of them, including me, could do that wherever they live. If you want to say that it will drive land prices up or some other points that have been made that’s one thing, but I’m not at all convinced that it would be bad for the quality of deer. It might even be the opposite.

Top Bottom