Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public land pressure

You kidding me. That question is completely subjective. Residents claim the NRLO raid but in my experience there is few. You want me to go county to county and register NRLOs. Really. In the best zone in Iowa , in my area, I’m it. Meet you anytime.

That "question" is based precisely on your words in post #49. You are moving the goalposts now and avoiding backing up your own statement that besmirches others that post on this site. I'll ask again, as I have politely asked you twice before...who is being dishonest here? You said it...who is it?

No violence. Just facts about NRs and NRLOs that folks like you continually spew about the detriment of Iowa hunting when in fact we contribute to it. I’ll gladly speak to anyone here about that. When I was new here many years ago I couldn’t intelligently speak about this issue, however, now I can. 18 years later you’ve read my opinion and will gladly debate anyone. I’m in zone 5 btw. The mosy

Reactions: OMB
Whatever Daver Play verbal judo all you want. I’m out. Nobody here supports nrs in any way. It’s about you and mine, mine, mine... Period. See you next fall. I’ll be there to the chagrin of the Iowa residents on this site. I bought it, pay taxes on it, improved it and permit Iowa residents to hunt it.

Last edited:
No violence. Just facts about NRs and NRLOs that folks like you continually spew about the detriment of Iowa hunting when in fact we contribute to it. I’ll gladly speak to anyone here about that. When I was new here many years ago I couldn’t intelligently speak about this issue, however, now I can. 18 years later you’ve read my opinion and will gladly debate anyone. I’m in zone 5 btw. The mosy

That is a matter of opinion.

Right. You live there and you’re the be all and end all. Nearly 2 decades of land ownership there gives me no voice. Lol. Definitely a matter of opinion.

Whatever Daver Play verbal judo all you want. I’m out. Nobody here supports nrs in any way. It’s about you and mine, mine, mine... Period. See you next fall. I’ll be there to the chagrin of the Iowa residents on this site. I bought it, pay taxes on it, improved it and permit Iowa residents to hunt it.

"Verbal judo" and "Nobody here supports nrs in any way" = I can't substantiate my erroneous claim regarding IW'ers not being being honest, so I will obfuscate the issue and double down and then vamoose. Not a convincing argument or a mature response.

How come you can't identify even one dishonest post/advice?

Great verbiage Lol. This entire site exacerbates the anti NR sentiment. Whether it’s landowner or hunter. Onecam was a smart dude and pulled the parachute. This place won’t recover for many reasons, been here since 2003, and very few of the originals remain. Maybe none. Instead of embracing NRLOs and working with them you all continue to bury them, they’re not going away. Figure a way to work together.

Last edited:
Daver, Bonker, Sligh, Muddy ...you guys are solid dudes who run this site and have a pulse on Iowa hunting. I met a couple of you at the classic two years ago. Let’s figure a way to maintain resident rights but give a NR landowner a little. There has to be a way to satisfy residents and NRLOs alike. Keep in mind I would not expect resident privileges, but there has to be a comprise somewhere. I’m overrun with deer and can shoot one doe. We’re landowners

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB
Slammed no one. Don’t need help. Have a great farm I’ll be hunting In the fall. Spoke the truth. You are the epitome of this site. Been here almost as long as you, 2003. Why did Onecam bail ? Your start date is equivalent to one cams launch date. You know him. ??Online forums are essentially dead

Last edited:
Slammed no one. Don’t need help. Have a great farm I’ll be hunting In the fall. Spoke the truth. You are the epitome of this site. Been here almost as long as you, 2003. Why did Onecam bail ? Your start date is equivalent to one cams launch date. You know him. ??Online forums are essentially dead
Question how long have you been hunting deer?
I’ve been bowhunting for 35 years now so I’d say I’m seasoned as a hunter but that doesn’t make me better than anyone else just means I’m old.
Length of membership on here really means nothing. I never started using a computer until 2012 in earnest.
Only thing this site needs is MORE posts from members!!!
Not sure how the four members you mentioned are going to help your concerns as a NR. I’m all for leaving things the way they are cause it would be just like the straight wall cartridges BS..... give a inch and they will take a mile.

Slammed no one. ...
False.

Your words from post #49 in this thread..."This is the last place you’ll get honest advice. Is this site affiliated with CNN or MSNBC?"

That is a slam. ^^ That comment is what sparked me to respond to you, as I believe it is patently false, inflammatory AND you, even after several requests to do so, have not provided even one example of that being the case.

Your words from post #63 in this thread..."Nobody here supports nrs in any way. It’s about you and mine, mine, mine... Period"

There is a certain irony in someone accusing Iowa residents/all IW'ers of being selfish in wanting to protect the status quo regarding the resource that we all enjoy and yet multiple times in the same thread you indicate that you want to see some changes in Iowa's regs as they relate to NRLO's so as to benefit your situation. How is that not, "Mine, mine, mine"? Also, many of us support NR's in multiple, multiple ways...we just simply do not support further relaxation of the regs beyond where they are now.

Your words from post #68 in this thread..."This entire site exacerbates the anti NR sentiment."

I see that as yet another slam and also untrue. ^^ The sentiment that I see here is simply to preserve the status quo and to do that because it will allow ALL OF US, R's and NR's, LO's and non-LO's, to continue to enjoy an overall high quality deer hunt each year in this state. (Issues such as widespread EHD and CWD notwithstanding.) Yes, there is resistance to changing the regs as many of us understand that would erode what we have now and cause Iowa to be just another mismanaged state. The regs, largely as they exist now, are precisely what has produced what we have here...something that is obviously desirable since so many want to come to Iowa from far away lands to experience it. It is illogical to change them significantly, unless we want to be like the states that have poor quality hunting.

Face it...virtually every NR that has purchased land for deer hunting in Iowa has done so because the regs here facilitate a quality of hunt that cannot be found in their own home area. Why on God's green earth would we then favor making changes that would reduce us to the level that people are deliberately fleeing to come here? Also, many NR's can see this too and support the notion of keeping the Iowa regs as they are. This applies to more than just the rules regarding NR land ownership, this also applies to "expanded opportunities" such as crossbows in the regular archery season, rifles during the gun season, etc.

Let’s just be up front about the issue. Allocating NR landowner tags from the 6000 overall, would only help the hunting. Not hurt it.

Land access is certain areas or zones could be more difficult yes, but public land might have fewer hunters.

I can get a tag every year in my zone, so I’m not as affected by that. When I had land in Zone 4/5 tags were more difficult.

I’d like to see that (just being honest) but would also like to see more affordable doe tags. I’m not for anything that will hurt the hunting quality...

The sentiment that I see here is simply to preserve the status quo and to do that because it will allow ALL OF US, R's and NR's, LO's and non-LO's, to continue to enjoy an overall high quality deer hunt each year in this state. (Issues such as widespread EHD and CWD notwithstanding.) Yes, there is resistance to changing the regs as many of us understand that would erode what we have now and cause Iowa to be just another mismanaged state. The regs, largely as they exist now, are precisely what has produced what we have here...something that is obviously desirable since so many want to come to Iowa from far away lands to experience it. It is illogical to change them significantly, unless we want to be like the states that have poor quality hunting.

Face it...virtually every NR that has purchased land for deer hunting in Iowa has done so because the regs here facilitate a quality of hunt that cannot be found in their own home area. Why on God's green earth would we then favor making changes that would reduce us to the level that people are deliberately fleeing to come here? Also, many NR's can see this too and support the notion of keeping the Iowa regs as they are. This applies to more than just the rules regarding NR land ownership, this also applies to "expanded opportunities" such as crossbows in the regular archery season, rifles during the gun season, etc.

Amen. Plain and simple.

Also, for those that hope to one day become a landowner opening up more liberties to NR's will only increase land prices making the dream more difficult to achieve.

Last edited:
Great verbiage Lol. This entire site exacerbates the anti NR sentiment. Whether it’s landowner or hunter. Onecam was a smart dude and pulled the parachute. This place won’t recover for many reasons, been here since 2003, and very few of the originals remain. Maybe none. Instead of embracing NRLOs and working with them you all continue to bury them, they’re not going away. Figure a way to work together.
I don't think most guys are anti non resident, guys are against anything or anyone that would push to make our current NR tag system and rules more lax. I don't think it's a surprise that you're gonna get flack for pushing a more liberal tag system whoever you are.

I've personally hunted Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. I've chased BIG bucks in all three states, so I don't have sympathy for a NR landowner for buying Iowa land and then complaining about the laws that were there when they bought the land. If people wanna drop a ton of money for something you can only hunt every four years then more power to them.
The NR flood gates would open if NR landowners could draw a tag every year. Iowans know what they have and they know how fragile it is. That ain't gonna change anytime soon. Sorry you get a hard time, but you can't blame Iowans for looking out for their own interests.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Let’s just be up front about the issue. Allocating NR landowner tags from the 6000 overall, would only help the hunting. Not hurt it.

Land access is certain areas or zones could be more difficult yes, but public land might have fewer hunters.

I can get a tag every year in my zone, so I’m not as affected by that. When I had land in Zone 4/5 tags were more difficult.

I’d like to see that (just being honest) but would also like to see more affordable doe tags. I’m not for anything that will hurt the hunting quality...

I appreciate the tone of your reply, but I do disagree a little with you. Here's why...the very second that a NRLO can be guaranteed a buck tag every year there will be a "land rush" of NR's that are currently "sitting out". The primary reason that they are sitting out now? The regs...very specifically, the fact that they cannot be assured of a buck tag every year.

Don't believe me, ask virtually any realtor that trades in rec properties in Southern Iowa, I know multiple realtors that have a list of NR's that would be quick to buy in Iowa, if not all over Iowa, certainly in the better deer hunting counties, if that was so. Also, I know current NRLO's who have told me that they would buy more ground too, under their wives or kids name, etc, if there were guaranteed buck tags. So I am persuaded that this really is "a thing".

If that were to happen, it is very likely that access would be further restricted to Iowa residents on much more private property than is already the case...at least in the better deer areas.

Am I of this opinion for selfish motivations? No, not really. As a current landowner, I already have a good place to hunt, so this would be neutral to me on that front. Actually, it would very likely significantly increase my property value, so it could be argued that I am foolish to NOT support more NR's...since an influx of monied NR buyers would likely lead to better property values for farms like mine. I prefer though to keep things as they are so as not to lead to even more residents losing access. Those are my thoughts, thanks for sharing yours.

Fun to see that some things never change. Thank goodness. Let's hope they never do. By the way, I have helped a couple of nonresident landowners run cameras on ground that has to be within a very few miles of our NR friend claiming to be the only NRLO in his part of the state. That's good stuff. I help them because they understand that their ground is good hunting due to the existing regulations on tags. They get it, so they get my respect. They have several other neighbors from out of state that claim residency, but we all know that is a whole different can of worms. I have not seen this site push against nonresident land ownership. I have only seen members fight for the right to keep tag regulations as they are, which is what they should be. Hard to argue with success. Well, for most it is. Others seem to make sport of it. lol

Fun to see that some things never change. Thank goodness. Let's hope they never do. By the way, I have helped a couple of nonresident landowners run cameras on ground that has to be within a very few miles of our NR friend claiming to be the only NRLO in his part of the state. That's good stuff. I help them because they understand that their ground is good hunting due to the existing regulations on tags. They get it, so they get my respect. They have several other neighbors from out of state that claim residency, but we all know that is a whole different can of worms. I have not seen this site push against nonresident land ownership. I have only seen members fight for the right to keep tag regulations as they are, which is what they should be. Hard to argue with success. Well, for most it is. Others seem to make sport of it. lol
First post in one year. You been ok? See any bucks this past year, or offer any “nice bucks” in the harvest section??

First post in one year. You been ok? See any bucks this past year, or offer any “nice bucks” in the harvest section??

Just checking in to see how my "Friends of Iowa" are getting along. I didn't even have time to buy all three of my buck tags this year.

Top Bottom