Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Abnormally high amount of pics like this.....

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
U all seeing same? Multiple pics like this example every day. Last few days of ML- I know I saw at least 7-8 shed bucks. That’s with my own eyes. I know a lot will pack until late Feb or early March but the early droppers are plentiful this year.
Plenty of food & everything for “check the box” looks good. & warm weather. Still shed bucks all over from Jan 5 to Jan 10. I personally think it’s still a carry over of stress from last year’s winter & late spring. Who knows though. For sure more shed bucks than usual though. Not too far away- I think the rifles are out. I’m so glad my county is not in that club. Some bucks “I knew” walked out ML season shed .... I knew them cause one had rip in his ear and another had back fur missing at certain spot. Both were older nice bucks - looked very healthy & not injured. Thank goodness no shed buck season anywhere around most areas.
d82f1e1a820a006274a938dc89728deb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U all seeing same? Multiple pics like this example every day. Last few days of ML- I know I saw at least 7-8 shed bucks. That’s with my own eyes. I know a lot will pack until late Feb or early March but the early droppers are plentiful this year.
Plenty of food & everything for “check the box” looks good. & warm weather. Still shed bucks all over from Jan 5 to Jan 10. I personally think it’s still a carry over of stress from last year’s winter & late spring. Who knows though. For sure more shed bucks than usual though. Not too far away- I think the rifles are out. I’m so glad my county is not in that club. Some bucks “I knew” walked out ML season shed .... I knew them cause one had rip in his ear and another had back fur missing at certain spot. Both were older nice bucks - looked very healthy & not injured. Thank goodness no shed buck season anywhere around most areas.
d82f1e1a820a006274a938dc89728deb.jpg

I hade several after Jan 1 and another that’s holding 1 side for last 3.5 weeks and won’t drop it

I feel like it has to do with actual rutting stress. We had a relatively good rut in regards to weather. No major heat wave or major winter storm to force deer to slow down with breeding/chasing. Bucks literally rutted for the entire month of November. I also feel like pre rut activity is taking place earlier and earlier every year. Bucks seemed super, super warn down in December this year.

I saw one, possibly two, shed bucks while late muzzy hunting a couple of weeks ago. I don't what the cause is, but that seemed a little early. We normally don't see much droppage until later in January.

100% more than normal shedding early. Own personal theory without any evidence is the COMPOUNDED stress of last years never ending winter, ehd this summer, and cold active November. I saw several during late muzzy. Not normal for sure. Always be a few, but this year higher.... no doubt in my mind.

Conversely, I think things are lining up to potentially have a banner year next year.... 1..
. Ehd...meaning the areas that got it wiped out deer but the deer that survived will have less competition and stress. 2. We are in mid january and have yet to really have a winter. That could change in a hurry but long term forecast not terrible. The other two factors.... spring moisture... and ehd.... TBD. But so far.... maybe.....just maybe.....the 4 whitetail stars align.

Picked up a very solid 5pt shed on January 8th near some standing corn while hiking to my spot during late muzzy. Hoping he didn’t drop so early due to injury or poor health as I’m looking very forward in chasing him on this particular public piece next year!

I had one half rack last week and now he has dropped the other side. Bucks in my area seem to run hard from late October clear into January.

We killed three deer 2nd shotgun that had messed up lungs. One the lung cavity was full of yellow jello looking stuff. The other two the lungs were stuck to the rib cage to the point they had to be cut loose. Google said the lungs stuck to the ribs is the result of an infection or lung worm infestation.

100% more than normal shedding early. Own personal theory without any evidence is the COMPOUNDED stress of last years never ending winter, ehd this summer, and cold active November. I saw several during late muzzy. Not normal for sure. Always be a few, but this year higher.... no doubt in my mind.

Conversely, I think things are lining up to potentially have a banner year next year.... 1..
. Ehd...meaning the areas that got it wiped out deer but the deer that survived will have less competition and stress. 2. We are in mid january and have yet to really have a winter. That could change in a hurry but long term forecast not terrible. The other two factors.... spring moisture... and ehd.... TBD. But so far.... maybe.....just maybe.....the 4 whitetail stars align.

The last time we got hit with ehd the survivors seemed to have an anyler growth spert. Maybe not a coincidence

• Deleted by Muskrat24
Show…
I had one half rack last week and now he has dropped the other side. Bucks in my area seem to run hard from late October clear into January.

We killed three deer 2nd shotgun that had messed up lungs. One the lung cavity was full of yellow jello looking stuff. The other two the lungs were stuck to the rib cage to the point they had to be cut loose. Google said the lungs stuck to the ribs is the result of an infection or lung worm infestation.

This is VERY interesting! Are you in an area hit by EHD this year? I came across a group of NRs during shotgun season back in 2013 following two years of BAD EHD in this area and they said almost 100% of the deer they killed that year had the exact same condition. They explained it the same as you. Even said the deer acted like they ran out of breathe as they ran. Could it be EHD survivors with the lung issue??

Yes we had some EHD in my area, Marion Mahaska county line south of Pella. The deer looked healthy other than the lung issue.

Top Bottom