Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree stands on public SF2043

Bad news. Public is public, first come, first served. No “saving” your spot.
I wouldn’t sit in someone else’s stand but some would, part of hunting public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
More thought: labeling a stand makes sure it goes up and down according to regulations. Is prohibiting others use a way to dodge liability if someone uses it and falls out? With the proposed tagging, owners would be easily identified for potential legal action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who writes this stuff?

"The metal plate shall be affixed on the front of the foot platform of the stand on the third step up from the ground."

A bull chit idea.

If they require them to be tagged I'd prefer DNR number instead of name. Hate that people leave stands up all year but dont see this fixing it.

I also can see this leading to additional problems. What would prevent someone then from carpet bombing a good area with "his" stands so as to ward off others? If a good tree already has a stand in it, can a motivated hunter then put his own stand in the same tree? Etc, etc, etc. I don't see where this is going to solve any problems IMO.

I believe the "prohibit others from using the stand" is the carrot on the end of the "stands must be removed at the end of the season" stick. Several years ago tagging stands on public was proposed as means to get the stands down. If they weren't down the WMA folks had a way of tracking down the owner to facilitate removal. The state wanted them down by the owner so state employees weren't injured while taking them down.

While I think the concept of using traceable ownership to facilitate responsibility for removal is good but the gynormus can of worms this opens up is not.

Edit: the identification would be the DNR number not a name.

I also can see this leading to additional problems. What would prevent someone then from carpet bombing a good area with "his" stands so as to ward off others? If a good tree already has a stand in it, can a motivated hunter then put his own stand in the same tree? Etc, etc, etc. I don't see where this is going to solve any problems IMO.

I can see that happening.

I have never left a stand on public unless I was going to be back it it the next morning so I really don't care much about this law but it seems kind of silly.

I don't really have a problem with tagging a stand for ownership though it's just another stupid little hurdle to get through. I have the means to make said tags, others won't. Also , what constitutes denying permission? Do you have to catch someone in your stand or can you just leave a note?

I have no interest in sitting in someone else's stand. I really don't even want to hunt where someone else has a stand but if I really wanted to be there I would be in my stand in nearby tree. That has happened a couple times when I noticed a stand nearby not far away after sunrise. Know one has ever came in on me but if I'm there first I'm not likely to leave.

I think the last time this was proposed the tag needed to be permanently affixed to the stand. This bill does not say that it just says affixed. I wonder if that changed because the tree stand manufacturer would say any alteration to the stand eliminates them from liability. Drilling holes and pop riveting a trap tag or using number stamps on a small piece of mild steel and tack welding it on the stand would more than likely qualify as altering the stand.

I would think the tag would need to be permanently affixed.

I tell ya, the worms just keep crawling outta the can on this one.

Subcommittee assigned 1/23/20:

Senator Mark Segebart, Seante District 6 (Buena Vista, Sac, Carroll, Audubon and parts of Crawford counties) Email: mark.segebart@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10727

Senator Nate Boulton, Senate District 16 (Polk county, parts of Des Moines and Pleasant Hill) Email: nate.boulton@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18073

Senator Cournoyer. Senate District 49 (Clinton and part of Scott counties) Legislative web page: chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27004

Public ground at Correctionville is littered with old stands, ladders, parts of stands, parts of ground blinds. Watch where you step. I've often thought about doing a "clean-up". I don't know why this crap has never been confiscated and removed.

Public ground at Correctionville is littered with old stands, ladders, parts of stands, parts of ground blinds. Watch where you step. I've often thought about doing a "clean-up". I don't know why this crap has never been confiscated and removed.
At the end of the day who is gonna enforce this? The state has cut so many jobs at this level of the dnr, I dont believe that this law would/could be enforced no matter how this comes out. I believe just like everything, some would do as the law states but several would not.

I wrote a somewhat lengthy letter to the members of the subcommittee and got one short but genuine reply back. Interested to see what the amendments are. Is there anyway to see the amended bill?

I wrote a somewhat lengthy letter to the members of the subcommittee and got one short but genuine reply back. Interested to see what the amendments are. Is there anyway to see the amended bill?

Not yet. I'm sure the unofficial "This is how we fix the bill" is being discussed in the hallways and will be published when proposed. Sometimes subcommittees make the "passage recommended with amendments" as a way of killing the bill and sometimes this recommendation actually results in fixing a bill's problems.

Top Bottom