Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedars to newly planted oaks

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I am thinking about taking out a some cedars (maybe a half acre-1 acre) and planting a mix of oaks; bur oak, swamp white oak, red oak, swamp bur oak hybrids. Cage and tube each for survival. This is Loess Hills soils so I am guessing that it will work? Any past experience or advice?

Should work great.
I would plant a ways away from the cedars you want to keep so there is no competition. Also find out what soil type you have (Monona, ect...) Some oaks do better in certain soils.
Good luck

Should work great.
I would plant a ways away from the cedars you want to keep so there is no competition. Also find out what soil type you have (Monona, ect...) Some oaks do better in certain soils.
Good luck

Good advice. ^^ I would add too that if your oaks are too close to your cedars and you run a fire through that area and catch some of your cedars on fire...you may also get some oaks in the process. Normally, oaks are pretty fire resistant when the fire is only quickly hitting the outer bark near ground level. But if you catch the branches on fire...oaks may not survive that.

I've had poor luck with pin oaks in the Hills. Good luck with whites, reds, chinkapin, concordia, and sawtooth. I think you'll have great luck doing what you're planning!

Where do you get the Sawtooth?
Goatman on here has acrons (which reminds me I owe you $ yet goatman!) :) The MO DOC has a wider range of selection than the IA nursery if you're looking for oaks. Keep me in mind if you need to split an order ever, I'm always up for planting some if you can't fill a full order!

Top Bottom