Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pond dock

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
My parents put a small 2 acre pond on their place a few years ago, never stocked it other than one five gallon bucket with 2 doz small crappie and bluegills ~7 yrs ago. Fished it for the first time yesterday and caught a small bullhead and bluegill, our boy had a blast. Looking to get some more fish stocked in there and also a small fishing dock.

It's a deep lake, I was surprised how fast it dropped off from the edge. Any suggestions for those that have built a dock for a farm pond? Floating vs permanent vs one on wheels that can be taken in/out? We've got a massive supply of telephone poles that need used, considering using those but of course they aren't a permanent deal. Floating seems easy but with kids and multiple people on it I'd like it to be more stable. This isn't a project for this summer but likely next year or the following. Just planning ahead and want to get a material list so I can keep an eye out if there's any steel beams or anything you guys suggest using. Thanks!

My main dock at my big pond has old telephone poles as the posts. But...I was able to place those prior to the pond filling up. I am not sure how one could build with telephone poles after the pond is full. You could build a stationary dock though with steel poles...I would wait until you have ice on it next winter and go down through the ice if it were me. But there may be other workable ways to get them in yet this summer.

You guys get a good freeze over there in the winter? And you get equipment close? We built one on a pond years ago that when frozen we drilled holes in the ice and used metal poles pushed down with an excavator bucket and fastened from there. Did another one similar except the 2nd one had round metal poles driven in and the floating dock had eyebolts for a hybrid type dock.

You guys get a good freeze over there in the winter? And you get equipment close? We built one on a pond years ago that when frozen we drilled holes in the ice and used metal poles pushed down with an excavator bucket and fastened from there. Did another one similar except the 2nd one had round metal poles driven in and the floating dock had eyebolts for a hybrid type dock.

Most winters are pretty mild - def will get ice on the pond but not always over 12". We've got all the regular farm equipment. I'm starting to lean towards a floating dock, even making one myself (go figure. lol) just because you can move the dock around if you want. I'd def want a hand rail on it so when kids get running on it the other kids have something to keep them from falling in.

This is kind of funky but I built a plywood structure and anchored down with stakes and got it to a point where a sump pump was able to keep area dry enough to dig post holes and get concrete pillars set. It wasn't ideal or easy but I was able to do it.

I suggest now that the method of probably 2 inch pipe or bigger driven in at the bank and the brackets on the side of the docks for pipe to be guided down might be the best. if you picked a somewhat calm day you could get the dock into the water and possibly drive the posts down with a post driver to secure the end of the dock.

This is kind of funky but I built a plywood structure and anchored down with stakes and got it to a point where a sump pump was able to keep area dry enough to dig post holes and get concrete pillars set. It wasn't ideal or easy but I was able to do it.

I suggest now that the method of probably 2 inch pipe or bigger driven in at the bank and the brackets on the side of the docks for pipe to be guided down might be the best. if you picked a somewhat calm day you could get the dock into the water and possibly drive the posts down with a post driver to secure the end of the dock.

Interesting ^^. How big of an area did you build out for your plywood box? Even though you were pumping it out, how did you seal it keep water from gushing in like crazy? How deep was the water where you were doing this?

I ask because I have some telephone poles in for support on my big dock and after everything was finished and the pond was full...I wished I had put MORE concrete around the base of the poles. If I could create a dry zone and then add more concrete around the bases that would be good.

the area was 8x4 we pushed the plywood as deep into the bottom of the pond as we could and the bottommuck of the pond acted like a sealer around bottom of plywood
water was only about 16 inces deep

the area was 8x4 we pushed the plywood as deep into the bottom of the pond as we could and the bottommuck of the pond acted like a sealer around bottom of plywood
water was only about 16 inces deep

OK, I could see that working for you. Me...not so much, as the poles that I want to add more concrete to are in 4', perhaps more, of water. I would need to build a whole 'nuther level of structure to hold the water back on that.

Top Bottom