Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Northern Minnesota fishing recommendations

teeroy

Life Member
Myself, my brother and his kids, my cousin and her husband are wanting to do a fishing trip end of June, or July. Renting boats, or possibly charter. Cabin rental. Targeting pike and walleye. Anybody have any favorite lakes/ lodges to suggest?

Lake of the Woods is great, weather permitting. I like Leech Lake, Winnie by Walker, for both walleye and pike.

A sleeper area is Otter Tail County. 1000 lakes in the county and not as much fishing pressure.

Lake of the Woods is great, weather permitting. I like Leech Lake, Winnie by Walker, for both walleye and pike.

A sleeper area is Otter Tail County. 1000 lakes in the county and not as much fishing pressure.

I go to LOTW almost every September, but I have been following a friend via Facebook this last week as he has been killing the walleyes, including big ones. He has been at Ballard Resort on LOTW in far northern Minny.

You will not go wrong with any of those lakes, all depends on the weather/wind. I live near Alexandria and there are 60+ good lakes in that area. Not a bad option either, and good bar/restaurants on the main "chain of lakes"....walleye, pike, bass and real nice crappies/sunnies.

We've been fishing Leech for 15+ years and it's gone down hill IMO - we used to hammer perch and rockbass but we catch a fraction of what we used to. We have primarily fished Agency Bay and maybe venturing out would've helped us get in to some better fishing. Walleye fishing is ok, nothing great for size, at least not that we've gotten in to.

We've been fishing Leech for 15+ years and it's gone down hill IMO - we used to hammer perch and rockbass but we catch a fraction of what we used to. We have primarily fished Agency Bay and maybe venturing out would've helped us get in to some better fishing. Walleye fishing is ok, nothing great for size, at least not that we've gotten in to.

Leech is an up and down lake. Can be great, but I’ve been out there and not caught jack squat! Needs a nice chop, or cloudy day.

A real sleeper is Bowstring by Grand Rapids, consistent fishing!

I'll throw out Blackduck lake north of Bemidji. A smaller lake but the fishing was top notch. We stayed at Dunrovin Resort. Didnt catch many big pike but the walleye fishing was lights out and they are known for some crazy big sunfish. To waste some time I went out chasing largemouth and it was obvious no one up there cares about them because they were plentiful and hungry and big. Twice out and caught 6 over 4 pounds. Another one I've been to is Battle lake. More touristy and not as many walleyes but we caught some big ones.

Bringing this topic up looking for some help myself..would just go with black duck but all the resorts are booked or won’t allow dogs. Would like a smaller lake just because I have never done it before. Walleye fishing is most important but quality bass fishing would also be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringing this topic up looking for some help myself..would just go with black duck but all the resorts are booked or won’t allow dogs. Would like a smaller lake just because I have never done it before. Walleye fishing is most important but quality bass fishing would also be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With Canada being locked down id assume all resorts are swamped. The town of Black Duck and Bemidji had alot of hotels and I'm sure you could still rent a boat and use facilities at some resorts. I can't wait to get back to Black Duck.

We are headed to lake Kabetogama for the 3rd time next week. I can’t remember the name of the resort, it’s nothing special but the price is right.

47998324-6056-46A8-9808-3388BDF0DCA3.jpeg

Top Bottom