Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“Small game animals” - “population cycle”?

That a bunch of coons?

so buddy who is a biologist and animal nut said this to me a while back ..... he said the big coons- big old boar coons - will hit fawns hard.... kill em & eat em. Any of you ever heard this? Think this is right? I suspect it might be right... by my house I’ve seen em kill pretty big baby geese & have killed neighbors chickens. I almost think this could be right on the farms. New one I heard though. But I don’t know. Thoughts?
Could they take down a fawn? Sure! Does it happen???? I’m sure it does. However, I find it hard to believe they’re a major fawn predator. For coons there’s far more food available during fawning season, that would be easier to obtain.

That a bunch of coons?

so buddy who is a biologist and animal nut said this to me a while back ..... he said the big coons- big old boar coons - will hit fawns hard.... kill em & eat em. Any of you ever heard this? Think this is right? I suspect it might be right... by my house I’ve seen em kill pretty big baby geese & have killed neighbors chickens. I almost think this could be right on the farms. New one I heard though. But I don’t know. Thoughts?
Could they take down a fawn? Sure! Does it happen???? I’m sure it does. However, I find it hard to believe they’re a major fawn predator. For coons there’s far more food available during fawning season, that would be easier to obtain.

That a bunch of coons?

Yep, counted over 20 as they scattered and went to the roof!! All those things you see on the roof line and hanging on the wall are little coons!!! Pic was from last evening.

Last edited:
I don't doubt a big coon could and on occasion does take a new fawn. I have to think that as much time, effort and $$ that has been put into studying deer if they were a major factor in fawn mortality it would be documented and most you deer nuts would be aware.

One thing that is down in our area are yotes. Not sure if that plays a role but it has become a hot ticket for young hunters, I get hit up alot by young guys wanting to get after them. The yote numbers were crazy high about 4-5 years ago but they have slowly came down.

Somebody needs to call the DNR to see if they are seeing disease/mortality in coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that is down in our area are yotes. Not sure if that plays a role but it has become a hot ticket for young hunters, I get hit up alot by young guys wanting to get after them. The yote numbers were crazy high about 4-5 years ago but they have slowly came down.
They are still really thick here. Used to be some guys that hunted them with dogs. They kept them in check a lot better than the guys now.

More critters. How bout chipmunks? You might not think they are much of a pest. If you got fruit trees. Apples and pears. Yesterday found 6 of my apples on the ground. Chewed off. They are way green yet But put traps out and caught 4 chipmunks under the tree.! If you have fruit or a garden. It’s War! Until harvest.

Riddle me this.... TONS of racoons on cams during middle of day. Like all the time. Multiple different ones. Why so much daytime?

I’ve noticed the same thing. The last 2 weeks getting a lot of coon during daylight. They look healthy.

Before the corn got tall, I'd see multiple coons per field feeding at 6 pm. Wondered why they were getting such an early start on the evening. Shortage of food, excess number of coons?
Somebody mentioned a coon taking out a fawn. Better hope Momma is not around, as this doe was after the yote that eyed her fawn.
M9FRyECh.jpg

Now up to 11 coon trapped in my yard. They are after my apples. Little green apples? They usually dont start until Sept when they are near ripe. Must be hords. Between my neighbor and me last year and this so far over 60 !

Coon update. Up to 13 now killed in my yard! Have some apple trees out in my field. Take good care of them. Mature trees. A golden delicious tree was in its recovery mode this year last year loaded. Had 15 or so apples on it. I put tin around trunk as a barrier as I have all of my trees wasn’t enough. They got all 15. They are not ripe until Oct! What’s with this??? Never had anything like this before. So traps are out there now. Must be an explosion of coon they must be hungry. Any one try the Razor Wire?

Had fruit trees up in N Michigan for 25 yrs. I was surrounded by National Forest. Never had coon damage. I know why so many varmits in Iowa. Corn and beans but never saw destruction like this? Unbelievable!

When my fruit trees first began producing. Some years ago. I did Not have this kind of destruction. Coon and varmit populations have definitely increased to incredible numbers. For some reason?

I drove from Adel to the kellerton area and from there to Cincinnati...the amount of dead coons on the road was astronomical...I said to myself numerous times, "How could there be any left"...Just an observation I noticed this weekend...Unreal amounts of dead ones

Top Bottom