Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP (rates and cost share)

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
If anyone is willing to share some rates and cost share on your Iowa farms I would appreciate a little feedback. I know I can put some CRP in, but I am curious how the rates compare by county/region?

Madison 163 max.

Clarke 116 max. (Long story here as to what I uncovered as to why but that rate is a joke)

Union 171 max.

Warren 158.... I believe.

You get a small bump on continuous.

Do you have a number on Lucas?
And you give a condensed version of why Clarke is so low?

Do you have a number on Lucas?
And you give a condensed version of why Clarke is so low?
Well I know for a fact at least one group of farmers purposely reported artificially low cash rent rates. So now CRP is far less attractive, Less goes in, more tillable to rent, supply and demand takes over, rent goes down. Again, one group I know of. Likly Doesnt take many to make an impact because not many surveys get turned in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well I know for a fact at least one group of farmers purposely reported artificially low cash rent rates. So now CRP is far less attractive, Less goes in, more tillable to rent, supply and demand takes over, rent goes down. Again, one group I know of. Likly Doesnt take many to make an impact because not many surveys get turned in.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/pdf/c2-10_2019.pdf
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/pdf/c2-10_2020.pdf

Looks like they got better data for 2020.

Some more rates. (I forgot the Madison program I was looking at was a continuous program so hence the higher rate I mentioned previously)

These are general sign up rates , which the deadline has passed.

Continuous closes in August.

The new farm bill mandates a yearly sign up so we shall see what 2021 brings.

9f5907209ebfe1f501d700fdc03951df.jpg

Wow, we renewed some in Monona in 2018 at $225/a. Not buffer strips either.Bufferstrips renewed in 2016 at $349/a. Crazy what they've done.

I think Lucas is 122.00 on general and Appanoose is 133.00 . There was definitely an effort in some county’s to lower the county average rental rates. I know Monroe Co only had 55 cash rent survey returned not hard for a motivated group to sway the outcome. Still surprised the number of new acres enrolled at these lower rates. The real bummer are the buffer strips that had been enrolled as marginal pasture years ago at 79.20 an acre and now reenroll at 60.00 with no cost share for anything needed. These areas are the most critical.

I think Lucas is 122.00 on general and Appanoose is 133.00 . There was definitely an effort in some county’s to lower the county average rental rates. I know Monroe Co only had 55 cash rent survey returned not hard for a motivated group to sway the outcome. Still surprised the number of new acres enrolled at these lower rates. The real bummer are the buffer strips that had been enrolled as marginal pasture years ago at 79.20 an acre and now reenroll at 60.00 with no cost share for anything needed. These areas are the most critical.
I think they could come up with something better. I was thinking the average of the county your in AND every county it touches.. average all those, then take your 80 or 85%. It would seem more fair to all this way.

Riparian buffers @ even $100 an acre would be tremendous for long term conservation.

Even in nw Missouri we saw 120 and 130 for a couple northern counties for this year's signup... Surprised IA is so low ... There should have been a way to normalize the survey data.

I'd expect a 30% drop give or take.

In worth county, Mo, we had some expiring this year and the max rate was a bit higher than 10 years ago. We did bid in at a lower rate to get more points hoping to get approved. Max rate was higher tho, so I wouldn't expect a30 percent haircut next year

Last edited:
Top Bottom