Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Updated 2020 new pond thread

Looking great! Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks like you might preparing to have an island in your pond?? If so, (in case you do not know this) be sure to ring it with erosion stone/rock. If it is just a dirt mound it will "disappear" in time due to wind/wave action.
No island, just a pile of trees and stumps with a little dirt in it.

Wow! That is awesome. Rates in our county are $2.50 /cu. yd. But 90% cost share makes that a steal! Looking forward to see it completed.

Update: the guys have been working away moving dirt. Have had some breakdowns, but nothing awful. Today they started putting in the overflow pipe so I snapped a couple pictures. I also took a picture of one of the sediment basins. There will be 2 of these basins. The bottom of them will be filled with erosion stone and should be about 4 feet deep. Resized_20200717_152033.jpeg Resized_20200720_171135.jpeg Resized_20200720_163948.jpeg

So is that the height of the tube going to be max depth of pond?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes. The top of the tube is the water level. The dam is 5 feet taller than the tube. There is also an emergency spillway at the north end of the dam that is 3 feet above the tube. The max depth of the pond is supposed to be 33 feet.

Yes. The top of the tube is the water level. The dam is 5 feet taller than the tube. There is also an emergency spillway at the north end of the dam that is 3 feet above the tube. The max depth of the pond is supposed to be 33 feet.
Ok... makes sense. I was thinking man water wont be very deep. 33' is DEEP. Like you can have walleye.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Resized_20200723_184148.jpeg Resized_20200723_183938.jpeg Couple pictures from a couple days ago of mom standing on the dam and taking the pictures from close to the bottom. And this still isnt as high as its going.

Update: The pond isnt done yet but the dam is really close. They still have a lot of black dirt to move and other messing around, but the dam is mostly done. It's close enough that they shut the drawdown valve. So we are officially filling starting now. It will be interesting to see how long it takes. Just included one picture from the north end of the dam. It shows the size of the dam somewhat and shows the emergency spillway.Resized_20200728_174450.jpeg

Are you planning to have have shelf's, ledges and humps throughout? Or just the standard oval shape?
The picture below shows the shape. It's long but not super wide. For structure there is an old creekbank full of standing trees and also some big mounds covered in riprap/chunks of concrete. Most of the structure is standing oak trees. It will be like a mini version of belva deer if you are familiar with that lake.Screenshot_20200108-150522_Samsung Internet.jpg

Snapped a couple pictures today. The first one is standing on the dam looking back at the valley. Shows the riprap and some of the trees. Second is a side view of the dam and then a picture of one of the sediment basins all finished. There are two of these to trap the dirt from the water before it enters the pond. They are down to finishing touches and spreading black dirt now and then seeding.Resized_20200731_161238.jpeg Resized_20200731_161834.jpeg Resized_20200731_162430.jpeg

This is a really cool thread. I've had a couple of ponds built over the years but this project far more impressive than mine were . I'm not sure if I missed it earlier in the thread, but how did you go about getting the cost share for this?

This is a really cool thread. I've had a couple of ponds built over the years but this project far more impressive than mine were . I'm not sure if I missed it earlier in the thread, but how did you go about getting the cost share for this?
They were advertising in our area about a watershed project that they had loads of money to build ponds and terraces. They put up fliers and advertised in newspapers. To start with we were not in the project area and it was 75 percent cost share. My dad talked to the project manager about what he wanted to do and he got them to expand the project area because he really wanted to do this large of a pond. They also realized they weren't going to spend enough money so they changed to 90 percent cost share to get more people to sign up. I know of 4 other ponds that got built within about 5 miles of here under the same deal. Pretty crazy the amount of money they are spending on this. I doubt it has much effect on flooding, but I guess we will see.

They were advertising in our area about a watershed project that they had loads of money to build ponds and terraces. They put up fliers and advertised in newspapers. To start with we were not in the project area and it was 75 percent cost share. My dad talked to the project manager about what he wanted to do and he got them to expand the project area because he really wanted to do this large of a pond. They also realized they weren't going to spend enough money so they changed to 90 percent cost share to get more people to sign up. I know of 4 other ponds that got built within about 5 miles of here under the same deal. Pretty crazy the amount of money they are spending on this. I doubt it has much effect on flooding, but I guess we will see.

Lucky you, that's a great deal!

• Deleted by Nrharris
  • Reason: Duplicate post
Show…
Great stuff, brother! I just signed a contract to build a pond that is estimated to be ~4-5 acres with an 1,100’ dam. I’ve done an absolute pile of research, one thing I would highly suggest is to look at an aerator/diffuser if you can economically get power to the site. It is absolute insurance for your fish/lake health. Additionally, you can safely stock more northern based species like walleye, smallmouth, yellow perch, etc.

Top Bottom