Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poast Plus application rate?

TimberPig

About a week ago I mooched in on Kirch's thread about Poast Plus, wanting to split a jug with someone. Ironwood was nice enough to hook me up, and our "deal" went down in the Bennigans parking lot in D.M., followed by a ginormous hamburger inside. Thanks again Mike, it was great meeting you! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So now I have a gallon of Poast Plus but no label, and I already forgot what Mike said was the proper application rate. I'll be spraying a 1/2 acre clover plot (2nd year plot) that is starting to get some grass in it, using a 15 gal ATV boom sprayer. The plot was mowed on July 5th ahead of a promised rain that never delivered. After a month long dry spell, we are finally getting a good rain tonight.

What ratio should I use, and what is the proper timing to spray it?

Oh, and 'Bonker, I thought Mike was a pretty nice guy and never once thought he was planning to kill me. Of course I also had a 275lb deputy with me and a zillion witnesses... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and 'Bonker, I thought Mike was a pretty nice guy and never once thought he was planning to kill me. Of course I also had a 275lb deputy with me and a zillion witnesses... </div></div>

And I bet you were both toatin your off duty pieces?

Ironwood is indeed a nice guy, but I was concered he was bought off by my wife, and therefore.....

The 'Bonker

Timing just wasn't right Tom. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Don't forget your crop oil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget your crop oil. </div></div>

Or your vinyl sheets.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget your crop oil. </div></div>

Or your vinyl sheets.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Dang...I need to check in more often...things are really going to the dogs around here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Curious how the Poast Plus works out so give us some feedback on the results Joel. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Another option out there is a product called Volunteer, I get it at Crossroads Ag in Adel. Same as Poast Plus. It comes in 1 gallon jug and is $182. I know, thats a lot, but only requires 6oz an acre. Big price tag upfront, but if your spraying many acres it comes out about $4 cheaper an acre then Poast Plus.

Well I check my cover yesterday, eight days after applying 1 1/2 quarts Poast Plus per acre. I could not see any significant indication of grasses dying off. I will read the label and see if a second application is in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I check my cover yesterday, eight days after applying 1 1/2 quarts Poast Plus per acre. I could not see any significant indication of grasses dying off. I will read the label and see if a second application is in order. </div></div>

That is because you got the Poast made in Texas and it is probably not nearly as good as the stuff made right here in DM&gt; /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I checked my clover yesterday, eight days after applying 1 1/2 quarts Poast Plus per acre. I could not see any significant indication of grasses dying off. I will read the label and see if a second application is in order. </div></div>

That doesnt sound good! Did you mean pints instead of quarts? I am planning to spray mine tommorow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I check my cover yesterday, eight days after applying 1 1/2 quarts Poast Plus per acre. I could not see any significant indication of grasses dying off. I will read the label and see if a second application is in order. </div></div>

Really it is tuff to kill anything right now, because nothing is growing. The dry spell has shut down weed and grass growth.

Also, I have not had good luck with poast in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I check my cover yesterday, eight days after applying 1 1/2 quarts Poast Plus per acre. I could not see any significant indication of grasses dying off. I will read the label and see if a second application is in order. </div></div>

Really it is tuff to kill anything right now, because nothing is growing. The dry spell has shut down weed and grass growth.

Also, I have not had good luck with poast in the past. </div></div>

That makes sence.. I'll reapply after a rain.

I sprayed today, 18oz Poast Plus and 16oz of crop oil concentrate on a 1/2 acre. Grass was from 6"-16" tall and we just had 2" of rain a couple days ago along with highs around 80*. Should be about as good a spraying conditions as one could get at this time of year, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I sprayed my clover plots in June with poast plus with little or no results. Next time I will be using SELECT... I was warned before using poast plus but I tryed it anyway.. I quess now I know. I have heard others having the same problem with poast plus...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sprayed my clover plots in June with poast plus with little or no results. Next time I will be using SELECT... I was warned before using poast plus but I tryed it anyway.. I quess now I know. I have heard others having the same problem with poast plus... </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Brian,
Since we already have the Poast, is there anything we can do to improve its performance such as increasing the application rate? Is it just a poor product in your opinion?

I have been involved with alot of herbicide test done by the university and with the company that I worked for. Poast plus always came out on the bottom through all the test. Either it wouldn't get a kill at all, or it would "burn" the grass and not kill it effectivly. Poast does a great job on volunter corn (which is grass) but not so great job on brome, orchard, or fescue.

I am not trying to pimp a product, but select max has done the best for us, and it came out on top with the test done with grass herbicides.

As for using what you have, wait 2 1/2 weeks after application and if there is no sign of ther herbicide working, put the max rate on. (Make sure it doesn't exceed the annual rate combined with what you have already put on). If you don't know the annual rate, I can look it up for you.

Thanks for the info. I'm mostly trying to kill foxtail, which I would think might be easier to control than some. I have the PDF, so I'll look up the max annual rate.
Just out of curiosity, what happens if one exceeds that max rate? Black helicopters drop out of the sky? Six legged deer and gay squirrels? Other adverse environmental effects?
Thanks for letting us waste your time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Oh yeah, is select a brown liquid in concentrate form? I think I might have used that a couple years back, worked great on grass. Another no label, back alley deal.

You probably used either select or assure. As for over applying, yes the black helicopters come and take you away and erase the memories of you from all of your family and friends.

The reason for the annual rate is that is the level you can put on the crop, without crop damage. Also it has to do with soil damage, such as runoff, and contamination.

Roger that, dont want any Men In Black stopping by...

Thanks for the info! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom