Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun Safes?

droptine37

Life Member
Does anyone have any recommedations on a good gun safe. I am building a new house and have a kid on the way and figure its time to get a nice safe to store my guns. Thanks for the help!

I picked up this one a couple years back at Cabelas. I waited till they were on sale and when they had one of those spend 500$ get 100$ off coupons. It has been real nice and gives that extra piece of mind when away from home.

308Safe-med.JPG

I've got a Browning Gold I bought 15 years ago.

It weighs 875 pounds.

Keep in mind where you want it when building your house. You only want to move that thing one time.
grin.gif

Buy BIG! Maybe even build the house around it. If you don't have the guns to fill it now, maybe someday you will. If you meet with spousal resistance, just point out that just because it is a "gun" safe doesn't mean it can't store camcorders, jewelry, photo albums, etc.
grin.gif

Look at fire protection rating. I bought a small 14 gun Sentry gun safe that doesn't offer fire protection. It was on sale at Lowe's for $199. Like you, my main motivation was to keep young hands off the guns and it does that just fine.

Good call on the fire protection. Also make sure that the safe is protected on all 6 surfaces with the fire resistant insulation, many of the manufacturers use to skimp I believe on the top surface, which ends up being the hottest in a fire situation. And like Ghost said, you don't want to move that thing once it is in place, took 4 of us to move my brothers and it was no picnic.

I have a Browning Gold Fire Safe as well. I got the digital keypad entry as well. I don't think I will ever need anything bigger but you never know???

I have a Fort Knox safe, They are the top of the line. But well worth the extra dollars. There is a man in the Blue Grass area that sell them.
319-381-4344 or 1-800-531-9063 D&E Distributors

Browning makes a six panel door that you could use if you are building.

That way you could make your gun safe as BIG as you want.
grin.gif

My dad has all the family guns, except the two shotguns I have under my bed, stored in a FORT KNOX safe.

It's hard to beat a Fort Knox, but also hard to afford (at times). I really like the looks of the new Browning Safes...but than again, I'm pretty partial to all Browning equipment, it's my favorite.

Since your building a house, here is what I wish I had done. Most houses have some type of porch or entry, under which is a concrete room with a dirt floor, and isnt usually accessible from the basement. If you have a doorway framed in and a concrete floor poured in it, you could add a safe door and have a huge walk in vault. It would also be fireproof and make one hell of a storm shelter (selling point for the wife).

If I had been thinking I could have had a 24'x6' vault for not much more money. I really screwed up on that one.
doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Since your building a house, here is what I wish I had done. Most houses have some type of porch or entry, under which is a concrete room with a dirt floor, and isnt usually accessible from the basement. If you have a doorway framed in and a concrete floor poured in it, you could add a safe door and have a huge walk in vault. It would also be fireproof and make one hell of a storm shelter (selling point for the wife).

If I had been thinking I could have had a 24'x6' vault for not much more money. I really screwed up on that one.
doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what my dad has. 8 inch concrete walls 4 inch steel door, and fire coating on the inside, not much is going to make it into it.

Anyone going to the State Fair can stop in the Varied Industries building and check out the line-up of safes and vault doors that Pella Security offers. They have a top of the line safe made right here in Iowa by a family owned business and offer excellent service. I will be in their booth tomorrow (Thursday) helping out and would be glad to help answer any safe questions. We are right next to IowaPublic Television so you can stop in the booth and look at safes while the kids color or get their picture taken with Curious George.

Im with GunRunr on this one. I have a Pella Security safe and am looking at another one. They are by far the best safe for the money on the market today.

Plus they even customize the interior to fit YOU! I went with a 48 gun safe but had them install removeable shelves so I could slowly grow into my gun safe
grin.gif
But had the shelving until I grew into it.

Also their Customer Service is GREAT! I scratched it when I was moving it and and they sent me touch up paint and free of charge, it didnt even cost me shipping

Plus during the fair they have great deals.

I bought a 22 gun safe from Bass Pro for $588. I needed a safe that would fit in the closet. By the way, there is no way that I could fit 22 long guns in this safe. Maybe 16, but I like the safe anyway.

08-16-07006.jpg

08-16-07008.jpg

I bought a Liberty with the electronic lock. Not big, around 700lbs but I can move it myself with a two wheeler. Off the truck was OK but when I moved, getting it on the flatbed was a b!tch.

For those with safes- what do you use for moisture prevention. I bought the Goldenrod electric stick from Cabelas.

"For those with safes- what do you use for moisture prevention. I bought the Goldenrod electric stick from Cabelas. "

ditto

I know I want a safe but I'm going to wait a few years till I build my house. I helped a guy move one once and that was enough. It was 850# and on the second story. I have my gun cabinet in the basement so I usually keep the dehumidifier running constant to be safe.

Top Bottom