Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Broadheads

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
Team Haastyle's recent post about what broadheads eveyone is using reminded me that I've been meaning to get input of my own. When I get back from round two of oil spill activities, I'll be using some of the extra money I'm earning to finally buy a new bow. In planning discussions with my archery shop back home, I'm looking at staying with a Mathews (Z7; maybe Monster), but am considering a Destroyer or Alpha Max as well. My archery guru has said he doubts very much that my current choice of standard Muzzy 3-blade 100 gr broadheads will work well with any of those choices. His experience is that they just won't group at speeds close to and over 300 fps. He's encouraging me to look at the smaller, more squat profile (for lack of a better term on my part) broadheads if I stick with fixed blades. He recommended the Tight Point Shuttle T-Locks and has good accuracy and penetration with them (outside reviews seem to be great on them). He said the Muzzy MX3s or Mx4s might work, but standard Muzzys typically top out around 280 fps for grouping.

So long story short, my archery shop has been very good to me and I trust/value his opinion, but have any of you seen this as well? If so, what do you recommend for fixed-blade broadheads with bows shooting over 300 fps? I'm toying with the idea of thinking about Rage 2-blades, but I'm having trouble convincing myself that mechanicals won't fail me whereas I know fixed blades won't. I see a lot of guys that use Slick Tricks, but I'd appreciate all y'all's input, especially if anyone has used or uses the Tight Points.

Last edited:
You can shoot muzzy's accurately over 300 fps but they ARE, as any FBBH, MUCH more critical of ANY tuning issue of torque and spine. Heck, any fast bow with a short Brace Height is. That being said, the slower and heavier arrows at gpi, higher FOC and shorter FBBH like shuttle T's and ST are great options.

I use the biggest nastiest BH I can find like a muzzy phantom or muzzy snuffer to tune my BOW then go back to a ST for hunting. I also bareshaft tune by using a shaft with a field tip and no fletching at 20 yards. When you can get both field tips and bare shafts to hit the same spot, you will find you are tuned and can shoot many FBBH at the same weight.

Mechanicals can mask tuning issues and hence can hurt penetration, this has nothing to do with the reliability. Mech's are ALL I use on turkeys.

Bottom line, you can shoot fast and FBBH, but you must have perfect form and tune. Slick tricks and shuttle t are both solid options, with the ST being my choice :)

Even though my Aplhamax is rated to be over 300 fps it is not shooting that as set up for hunting, I am only hitting 285 fps. I like the Rage head and have great success with it. I am trying the G5 T3's this year and so far so good on flight. (Sacrificed a head to shoot for practice) Some of the more experienced guys on here say tuning is the key and I bet they are right. I have shot my old Muzzy FB through my bow and it has gone differnet spots everytime, my bet is if I spent the time to tune it it would be fine as others have said. Good Luck

I shot the Shuttle T's for the 08 and 09 season with great success. They fly just like field tips. The concave part of the blade takes a beating and replacement blades are pricey. I am switching to hellrazors this season for the one piece solid steel construction. They come razor sharp out of the package and fly like my field tips. I am hoping I will be able to maintain the edges for repeated use. If I have trouble getting the edge back I will post here but I am not expecting any problem with resharpening.

I have Muzzy 100 Gr. 3 blade broadheads and shoot a Z7 at 67# and they fly great. I've owned a Mathews Q2XL, Outback, Switchback & Switchback XT as well and never shot anything but Muzzy 100gr. 3 blade and have shot lots of deer and a couple elk with them.

Top Bottom