Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best option for me to establish a food plot?

I currently do not have a tractor or any implements to create a food plot, I do however have a large 750cc ATV and a Ford F150 4x4 truck. No trailers or really any storage building currently, however I have given some thought to building a small pole building at my farm. I'm trying to weight all my options for getting food plots established next year and am wondering what advice you would give me.

I have approximately ten acres of tillable ground that has little slope to it. The ground is currently being cash rented this year and is in corn. Next year, I would like to plant soybeans and then broadcast in rye and/or turnips in late summer/early fall. My farm is one hour from my home and I have limited time to establish and maintain the plots. I'd like to plant and manage my own food plots, as it seems most on here do, but I don't know that I can justify buying a tractor and all the necessary implements.

It will more than likely take me a few years to save up enough money to obtain all the tools I would want to do food plots, and then I also need a place to store them. With that said I'm trying to figure out a plan that will allow me to invest in equipment wisely over the next few years and avoid the "I wish I would have bought a X instead of a Y" pitfall. Here are some different possibilities that I've been mulling over, what would you do?

1) Ask the farmer that is cash renting to plant the food plots next year.
How do I establish a price to pay him? Who would pay for any inputs and chemicals? How do I verifiy the fertilizer was applied, or 3 treatments of Roundup were applied, etc.? Or maybe this would be cost prohibitive and I'd be better off investing the money I would pay him into equipment or a storage location.

2) Purchase an all in one plotting tool like the plotmaster that can be used by the ATV today and can converted to a three point for use with a tractor. A four foot implement may be too small to do 10 acres in a timely fashion.

3) Purchase a three point disc, leave it on the farm and rent a tractor each spring (or hire the farmer to disc the field and apply fertilizer). Use the ATV to broadcast the soybeans and apply roundup.

4) Purchase a no till planter like a JD7000, leave it at the farm and rent a tractor, or could this potentially be pulled by my pickup truck? I'd have to have some sort of hydraulic pump on my truck, but would this work? and could it be pulled at highway speeds?

Those are the main options that I keep debating in my mind, maybe there are others that I should entertain? Time is really the critical element for me, married, young kids, a business to attend, you know how it is. What would you guys do?

Unless you just really want to do it yourself and do not trust the farmer, It would be a lot easier and cheaper for him to do it. You might could even go help him and build a little relationship with him, that could really be helpfull in the future. JMO

In my opinion, a small tractor (30-40hp) is a great investment. They keep their value quite well, they're small enough to trailer behind your truck, so you can use it at home too. Once you have a tractor, by shopping smart, you can pick up old equipment dirt cheap. We have a 7' disk, a 12' disk, and an old jd drill and we have less than $700 invested in all three together.
True, the tractor will cost you, but I doubt you'll ever regret the purchase. By doing your research and shopping around, you can get a small tractor pretty reasonable. For ten acres, you might be better off with a 50 hp tractor now that I think about it... 4wd will "add" 20 horses to any tractor, keep that in mind.

Are you saying that all of the ground you have tillable will be in food plots next year? So the farmer would be out? I think you have to let him know that by a certain date like OCT 1st or something like that. Or is that not true because it is cash rent? I know there is some stipulation with rented farm gorund though.

There is actually twenty acres total that is tillable. I anticipate enrolling the other ten into a program this coming February when it is eligible.

You are supposed to notify by Sept. 1 for the following year if I remember right.

What about having him continue to cash rent the acres with an agreement to buy back a couple acres from him that he doesn't harvest? You would just have to come up with a price like inputs plus his time/machinery.

I'd have the farmer do it. Generally they will do it pretty cheap. Especially if he's working other ground nearby. That being said I'm in about the same situation with land 1 hour north of me. But, I own a cabin & storage shed on the land and have all the equipment. Yes, it has been a HUGE investment but I love every minute of it. Good luck, playing with food plots and improving your land is a lot of fun.

I'd just have him do it and cut off some cash rent just work out better for both of ya !

I believe this would be the best route too.

If renting ground where you're at is anything like it is around here, there are 10 people lined up behind the current renter drooling for more ground (even if it's just 10 acres if it's close to something they've already got).
If the current renter doesn't go for it, which I'm sure he will, consider looking for one that would.

Top Bottom