Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Hunter Injured

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Deer Hunter Injured Sunday in Muscatine County

MUSCATINE - A Muscatine man was injured Sunday while hunting deer in Muscatine County.

Darin Peterson, 41, was injured by a self-inflicted gunshot wound while hunting northeast of Muscatine on Sunday. He was airlifted to University of Iowa hospital in Iowa City with what is believed to be a non-life threatening injury.

Peterson was preparing to climb a ladder into a tree stand and had secured a line to his shotgun to lift it up when the firearm discharged striking him in the upper thigh shortly before noon.

Is it just me or are the injuries that are occuring this year just more stupid than in previous years? Seems like a lot of folks are ignoring simple firearm safety...

From the Iowa DNR:

Deer Hunter Injured Sunday in Muscatine County

MUSCATINE - A Muscatine man was injured Sunday while hunting deer in Muscatine County.

Darin Peterson, 41, was injured by a self-inflicted gunshot wound while hunting northeast of Muscatine on Sunday. He was airlifted to University of Iowa hospital in Iowa City with what is believed to be a non-life threatening injury.

Peterson was preparing to climb a ladder into a tree stand and had secured a line to his shotgun to lift it up when the firearm discharged striking him in the upper thigh shortly before noon.
picture.php

Sounds like he tied the rope to the triggerguard when the gun was loaded and safety off. :drink1: Dumb.

They call that a Plaxico.

dumb

If you are dumb enough to pull a loaded gun up or down a tree I hope it hits you in the head when it goes off. Good way to thin out the gene pool. :thrwrck:

My gun training instructor harped on these three simple safety tips more than anything:

1... Unload your gun when you climb up or climb down from your stand or blind.
2...Never cross a fence with a loaded gun
3...Never lean your loaded firearm on a vehicle or object. There is always the possibility that it could tip, slide down, or a dog could jump on or near it and discharge the weapon.

That is just sad that someone would ignore any of the above mentioned.

Oh come on guys, I know we aren't all saints here either when it comes to gun safety. Sheesh :(

Edit: Most are bowhunters I guess.

safety

hawkjosh--I agree with you that we should be compassionate for the hunter that was injured. I hope he recovers. We should not have the attitude that "everyone" ignores safety issues. What if that hunter had a double stand and his son or daughter was hunting with him. He pulls up a loaded gun and it goes off and hits the child??

Safety is so important, it should be on the mind of every hunter at all times!

Top Bottom