Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

5 Years in Iowa.....

Awesome story and congrats again!!

I would have to agree though that the 2008 shed does not match the 2008 live photo. Regardless of the split brow, check out the difference in tine length of the G2 and G3. Obviously the shed is chewed up some, but the G3 on the shed looks to have mainly been chewed on the side and did not loose much length due to the chewing. Now, compare the G3 to the G4 on the shed, the G3 is shorter, look at the live pic. the G3 is MUCH longer than the G4. My opinion is the 2008 shed is a different deer, not even a 2007 shed. The palmation on the shed is not nearly as dramatic, the G5 on the shed is much more apparent than the 2008 live photos, the 2009 sheds or the harvest photos, and the main reason for thinking it's a different deer is take a look at the bases of the 2009 sheds and 2010 harvest photos, they are extremely smooth bases up to the brows whereas the 2008 sheds have a lot of bumps.

Just my thoughts, I think you may have another nice buck out there somewhere. Likely a old mature deer by now, or even dead, who knows.

Yep, I agree. Checked it out this morning and compared to the 2010 and 2009 sheds. Maybe there is a 6 year old out there somewhere!

This means the 2008 sheds were never found which adds to his mystery some, which I think is the main reason I love these big brutes!

Thanks guys! :way:

Awesome story and congrats again!!

I would have to agree though that the 2008 shed does not match the 2008 live photo. Regardless of the split brow, check out the difference in tine length of the G2 and G3. Obviously the shed is chewed up some, but the G3 on the shed looks to have mainly been chewed on the side and did not loose much length due to the chewing. Now, compare the G3 to the G4 on the shed, the G3 is shorter, look at the live pic. the G3 is MUCH longer than the G4. My opinion is the 2008 shed is a different deer, not even a 2007 shed. The palmation on the shed is not nearly as dramatic, the G5 on the shed is much more apparent than the 2008 live photos, the 2009 sheds or the harvest photos, and the main reason for thinking it's a different deer is take a look at the bases of the 2009 sheds and 2010 harvest photos, they are extremely smooth bases up to the brows whereas the 2008 sheds have a lot of bumps.

Just my thoughts, I think you may have another nice buck out there somewhere. Likely a old mature deer by now, or even dead, who knows.

Huntyak,
Let us know what you figure out. It's impossible for me to tell from photos, but I honestly think it's another deer. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take anything away from an awesome chronicle, your unbelievable commitment and drive, terrific photos and great history. In fact, I shared your initial story with my wife, and reminded her she thought I was nuts for my addiction! :drink2: I took a buck this year I have 3 years history with...the first buck on a farm I bought 4 years ago, and have 4 sheds and numerous photos of, so I share in your enthusiasm and results. But your deer didn't ever look like his G4 was longer than the 2 or 3, and that shed looks like his brow is heavy and curls at the top. The brows on yours look like they were always fairly thin. That being said, I live on the farm I own, and their antlers do strange things from one year to the next sometimes. By the way, cool mount too! I look forward to more posts from you.

Man Oh Man what a history of a very unique deer, thanks for sharing this story with us. :way:

Hi Full Draw. Actually, I wanted to thank you for pointing that out. I did go back and look at the shed from 2008 and the pic, and it isnt the same buck. The characteristic that stands out the most, to me anyway, is the very narrow bases. In the 2006 photo you can see, especially with the side view, how it narrows down quickly as it approaches the base. Also the left brow angles inward at a slight angle, and he seemed to carry that through the years.

Same with the 2010 rack and 2009 sheds. Until this year, actually putting our hands on him and then the sheds this past week, we only had a few pics and that "presumed" shed from 2008. I will admit, the 2008 shed looks almost like a 2.5 year old, and I was thinking at the time how decieving that trail cam was from 2008 and the actual antler. Thinking he was SMALLER than we thought, when in reality, nobody evver found those 2008 sheds :drink2:

Now it makes sense and I appreciate you noticing that :way: The palmation had us all fooled but after finding it and putting it away, we forgot about it until later this fall.

Few people, if any, except the great people on sites like this, appreciate the true history of a whitetail and that is why I enjoy reading and posting stories like this.

I have told a couple people at work and they say, 'Thats neat," or "wow", but you can tell they REALLY don't know what im talking about or can appreciate how LUCKY I was to get the opportunity to not only take him, but have pics and sheds from last year to boot.

So, I thank you for taking the time to really look at those pics and add to the mystery! :)

Huntyak,
Let us know what you figure out. It's impossible for me to tell from photos, but I honestly think it's another deer. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to take anything away from an awesome chronicle, your unbelievable commitment and drive, terrific photos and great history. In fact, I shared your initial story with my wife, and reminded her she thought I was nuts for my addiction! :drink2: I took a buck this year I have 3 years history with...the first buck on a farm I bought 4 years ago, and have 4 sheds and numerous photos of, so I share in your enthusiasm and results. But your deer didn't ever look like his G4 was longer than the 2 or 3, and that shed looks like his brow is heavy and curls at the top. The brows on yours look like they were always fairly thin. That being said, I live on the farm I own, and their antlers do strange things from one year to the next sometimes. By the way, cool mount too! I look forward to more posts from you.

Are you sure you dont have the shed from the buck pictured right above the second picture of the shed? It looks a lot like his right side as I can see the crab claw on the G% and the brow tine. You may have a history with this deer in the making as well!:drink2:

Huntyak,
Even more special than one palmated monster, would be two. Go get that other one you've got a shed from!:D

Couldn't be happier for you Eyad...very nice history and story!! Love it when good things happen to good people! :way:

Top Bottom