Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This might get tough

LYON

PMA Member
So last year during bow season I took MANY trips to the field all throughout october and november up until I filled my tag on November 21. At the end of the season I told myself I would take it a little easier throughout the month of october this year. I was kinda getting burnt out by the time the rut hit us last year. My thinking has been consistent all spring and summer, that I was going to make limited trips to the field during october. BUT.....now that the season is upon us, I can think of nothing else but getting out there. Gonna be tough to stick to my guns on this one.

I know the feeling. Doesn't help when there is a monster already in the PMA. I am hoping to hold out until October 15th to start hunting and then hit it hard until Thanksgiving. The 80 degree temperatures coming up make the wait a little easier.

Endless "Indian Summer", seems every year. I hear people talk about snow and cold in Oct in Iowa. I have not been here all that long but is difficult to believe. If we are lucky, may get chilly by mid Nov. Like last year. Otherwise I don't feel a blood corpuscle stir until there is a nip to the air, and a true cold front comes crashing thru. Bucks seem to be lazy until that time too. Read forecast for the Rockies. Snow in the Mtns,,now that makes me want to go Mule Deer Huntin.! I've been there,done that!

usually that first week of november your in the mid 50's for highs and low 30's for lows and thats not to bad because it cools off really quick at night..80's this week and weekend is really gonna suck I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a front otherwise its almost not worth going

I know how you feel. I'm waiting until the end of October to make my first trip out. I've learned my lesson by burning my spots out early, which also gets me burnt out.

You bet, this hot weather makes it easier to NOT go out, but its still sitting in the back of my mind that season is open and I could be out. Oh well, just gotta bide my time. I'll still probably go out once or twice a week if possible.

Monster bucks start showing up being killed from opening day on BUT.... With all the guys out even opening day on, I'd BET 90% of the mammoths get killed Nov 1 on.... I do know a few guys with amazing Oct abilities BUT most will have the vast majority of success after Nov 1 and I'd say that out of all my hard core buddies, 7 out of 10 of them get REALLY BURNT OUT half way through Nov. And these guys are tough dudes. Physical and emotional burn out EVERY YEAR and it's like clockwork when I have those conversations with tons of folks each year. pace yourself my friend, I think MOST will enjoy it far more if they pace themselves and don't fry out, which unfortunately is very easy to do- no matter how well you love hunting. Pace yourself grasshopper! :)

Last year I thought I could go out all the time and never get tired of it, but it happened. I was hunting every day of the week after school and on the weekends I would head down to Missouri and get 4 hunts in. On Nov 5 I shot a nice buck but not the buck I should have taken of that land.

Use to be we could not wait for Oct. 1st! Was grinning about the middle of Sept.!! We only had one tag!! (Sorry! We are Bowhunters!!) We were all giddy bout just killing a deer, any deer with a bow!! Imagine that! Just thinking any animal taken with a bow was a trophy! What was wrong with us????? :confused: We have drank the Kool-Aide! What use to be fun has now turned into a mission!! We are trying to keep up with the money !! :thrwrck: Alot of us just hunt! Don't feed the deer year round! I started bowhunting in 78! I could not imagine anything cooler than taking a P&Y buck! WOW!! My name in the book! Somewhere along the line that fire went out! I gotta couple that will make it! Really does not impress me enuff to enter them!! I'm thinking when I get one that will make both books ..I'll enter him! Than again... Maybe not!! They are all trophy's brother!!!

I think the biggest reason why I don't hunt October is much is I couldn't imagine not hunting the rut. I love seeing the rutting action. Just something about it I would hate to miss. Another reason is $$. If I hunted the 8 days over the weekends in October at $40 gas per round trip plus probably $10 bucks in food I am out $400. I will save that money for November and try to slam a few does locally to take the edge off.

as much as the hot weather sucks.... I'm still going out this weekend... put to much damn work in all year long and then being at school i can only hunt weekends anyway. liv4rut you could always find someone to video during the rut if you tagged out early.. I videoed my first couple of kills this weekend and its just about as exciting as shooting yourself.

I went out this past Sunday evening. It was nice to get back in a tree, but I won't go back out until the end of the month. Too many leaves on the trees right now and the temps are keeping movement to a minimum. Way too man good days of hunting in front of us. Don't want to burn out myself or any of my stands by hunting too much right now.

Cross your fingers this Huge, HIGH, block, is gone, even by Nov might still be around, with record high temps. But by then nights are longer, and at least mornigs are cool . Another reason I hunt mornings,,hand down.

where did you see it sticking around?? what i was looking at it was supposed to cool down next week at least to average temps

I cant stay out of the woods. Just got back in tonight. Saw my first Mature Buck of the year from the tree tonight by the way :)

Shot a Doe tonight with my Bow. It's fricking hot our there! I sweat like a pig out there ;) nothing stopping the Deer though got a 10 yard shot on a Doe, but what sucks is the meats prob going to be bad by 3pm tomorrow. Hope it only went 100 yards. It was a good shot as I could tell. Saw 8 Deer total.

TeenageHunter said:
Shot a Doe tonight with my Bow. It's fricking hot our there! I sweat like a pig out there ;) nothing stopping the Deer though got a 10 yard shot on a Doe, but what sucks is the meats prob going to be bad by 3pm tomorrow. Hope it only went 100 yards. It was a good shot as I could tell. Saw 8 Deer total.

Ya while driving around tonight I saw a lot of deer hitting the fields around 6.

TeenageHunter said:

You didn't find it yet? Are you looking tonight? It's supposed to be almost 80 degrees tomorrow...

Sent from my Android using IW

Top Bottom