Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HUGE buck in the PMA

I can't believe people are so quick to complain about having to pay to be a PMA member. It seems absolutely absurd to me. This is a great site with so much more information than anything else I've ever seen. You certainly don't hear anybody complaining about having to pay $20 or anything to go into the Iowa Deer Classic for a day. There is way more knowledge to learn here than you ever could in the few days of the classic. This place is like the Iowa Deer Classic 24/7.

I have absolutely no affiliation with the site or anything. Just like to support a great collection of knowledge such as this and all of the work that our moderators and administrators put into making this site what it is.

As far as the comment about "want to disclose financials?" Let's think about how idiotic this statement is. If there are a little over 200 PMA members and a few over 300 including lifetime members... $16 per membership of 300 people translates to $4800 bucks. Take into account that good old uncle sam is going to take his cut, now it's down to $3120. I'm pretty sure that our moderators, and administrators put in way more time than 3 grands worth of work each year. I think it's great that there are enough people who utilize this site that make companies want to advertise here. But, it isn't like there are never any special deals extended out to members of this site from sponsors.

Besides that, the money you can save just by looking at the FREE classifieds section, could EASILY pay for a PMA membership.

I'm done ranting about this but just thought everybody who is so quick to bash the PMA deal should maybe get another perspecitve.

Its kinda like a paperview sporting event, pay and see now, or wait a couple days or weeks and im sure it will show up on other forums or emails or god knows where for free.
As far as pma dues paying to keep the site running....I call BS. Not to many sites out there that charge anyone money and they seem to be doing fine. Now the buck contest is another deal, one in which I think is pretty cool and am all for PMA proceeds supporting.
Personaly Ive never read or saw anything in there I thought was worth paying for, its more of the not knowing aspect that got me, and lets face it, its only 16 bucks.

I'm not even sure what to say....I'm really not. I post quite regularly in the pma, things I do not post in the general section. To me it is a way of giving a little bit back (though very little) to a site in which I have gained many things from. Yes, I have won some prizes so the monetary value is notable,...but it could be for anyone, it's like buying a scratch and win and hoping to come up with a winner, only a few get lucky but whatever.

I've never considered that the little bit of fees would be anyone's gravy train simply b/c I'm decent at mathematics. Yes, anyone can become a member, but what's wrong with that? It's a buck and a quarter a month. I believe that it is worth it. Sure there are not always piles of new posts popping up in the pma (come on guys) but I consider this site more than just another site, the pma section is largely to thank for that.

I understand how some people may not like the commercialization aspect of stuff but it is what it is at the end of the day. Heck, I turn 36 this month, yesterday my wife gave me an early b'day gift in which she thought I'd be mad for. It was a cellular phone, she just simply does not like me out and about all the time in our vast landscape without a means of communication. (not sure I am wise enough to figure it out) I've balked in for yrs,..but also see the value in some things even if at first we don't love the idea.

Last edited:
Year in year out PMA Members consistently harvest some of the largest if not the largest bucks in the Midwest :way: I’m excited to see which PMA members will shoot a monster this year!

Not only are the PMA forums a great place to be the first to see and share big bucks … PMA Members also have a unique passion for hunting, comrade and sharing of knowledge that is second to none. An Iowawhitetail PMA membership isn’t for everybody and that is ok.

Our PMA membership goal isn’t quantity so much as it is quality. If you are on the fence and share the same passions as other members and pride in IW I encourage you to consider joining our PMA.

If not we are still going to be sharing plenty of big bucks in our regular forums :way:

Also remember we have multiple contests for all …

PMA Big Buck contest which we are giving away a Boar Hunt for two, New Hoyt Bow , World Class Mount from Joe Meder and a Muddy Safety Harness … details here http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38930 … don’t be the guy that was on the fence about joining and shoots a 200” buck :grin:

Member Big Buck contest – open to all members new and old (even after the harvest :way) ,which we are giving away a Muddy Hunter Tree Stand – details here http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39387

Youth Deer Harvest Contest – open to all Youths which we are giving away a Muddy Safety Harness and a Larry Zach decorator print – details here http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39134

We have a couple more that Muddy is running for PMA Member … I’ll let him fill you in on the details :grin:

Thanks and good hunting everyone!

If I sign up to be a PMA member right now, do I get a free hat? ;)

I don't know if you can get a free hat (mainly because I think we're sold out of them) but I will personally send you a window decal for your truck, car, or man van. Sign up and send me a PM with your address.

As far as the other contests in the PMA going on, they are very simple and unique. The first is a photo contest. Simply put, some of us really enjoy taking high quality photographs of our kills. You take a picture of yourself and some kill from this fall/winter and post it and the admins and mods choose a dozen or so and then the PMA members vote on the winner. Very very easy and we hope it will encourage more photo sharing. The second contest is a story contest. This contest is based solely on the journey to the kill and allows the people entering to share the whole story rather than just a picture.

Not sure what we have for prizes on those yet, but I know it'll be good.

For all the cheap whiners out there, take two hours out of your Iowa Whitetail surfing for one day and go pick up pop cans out of the ditches. That should more than cover your PMA dues for a year. And make your streets more beautiful! :D :way: :D :way:

I tend to be mire of a Lurker here than a contributor. Until this thread I didn't know there was anything more to the PMA than a harvest section. When I first read this thread, it rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed like "hey, nerds. Look what the cool kids get." The more the PMA is explained, the more it sounds like something I would like to be a part of. I guess what I'm saying is I can see both sides.

Sent from my Android using IW

I have been a PMA Member for several years and I view it as a both entertaining and informational. $16 per year is less than a subscription to any magazine. If the website does make money, which I highly doubt, so be it. Besides I can't read a magazine at work, but I can read Iowa Whitetail.....

I understand how some people may not like the commercialization aspect of stuff but it is what it is at the end of the day. Heck, I turn 36 this month, yesterday my wife gave me an early b'day gift in which she thought I'd be mad for. It was a cellular phone, she just simply does not like me out and about all the time in our vast landscape without a means of communication. (not sure I am wise enough to figure it out) I've balked in for yrs,..but also see the value in some things even if at first we don't love the idea.

Blasphemy SaskGuy! LOL:D

So, I have the right app for you after all! http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/sports/huntit_barwh.html

:drink1::drink1::D

As far as the comment about "want to disclose financials?" Let's think about how idiotic this statement is. If there are a little over 200 PMA members and a few over 300 including lifetime members... $16 per membership of 300 people translates to $4800 bucks. Take into account that good old uncle sam is going to take his cut, now it's down to $3120. I'm pretty sure that our moderators, and administrators put in way more time than 3 grands worth of work each year. I think it's great that there are enough people who utilize this site that make companies want to advertise here. But, it isn't like there are never any special deals extended out to members of this site from sponsors.
Shadowpeople,

Congrats to you and your friend on a nice deer.

Second I think and know that the site makes money which does not bother me a bit. They make more then just in memberships and get their share of free items. That does not bother me either because a business is a business and I have nothing invested in it.

I am a PMA member and will continue to do so but as soon as the content slides (which it has and I hope it comes back) I may rethink it a bit because a lot of regulars (old timers) already have. $16.00 is nothing for a year.

I think the whining is because of how it was presented. (No offense Blake.)

Good luck this year all.

Wow what a way to bait people into being a PMA member, I have paid for other sites in the past and they have not been worth it.

I wouldn't worry about the PMA section bud.......it probably isn't for you. Just out of curiosity, what other sites have you paid for that weren't worth it?

When was the last time a $16 magazine subscription gave you a FREE chance of winning a new bow?

Sure there have been a few instances where things that are "private" here show up "public" on other sites...but so it goes when a site offers its users "levels of posting options".

On thing that really sucks in the PMA is that a lot of the old old posts have inactivated photos now, and several of the older memebers in those posts don't post on here anymore. Pretty small complaint, given what is still readily available in the PMA forum sections.

HEY MUDDY, I'm on take-3 of PMA membership, I've never received a decal:thrwrck::drink1:

When was the last time a $16 magazine subscription gave you a FREE chance of winning a new bow?

Sure there have been a few instances where things that are "private" here show up "public" on other sites...but so it goes when a site offers its users "levels of posting options".

On thing that really sucks in the PMA is that a lot of the old old posts have inactivated photos now, and several of the older memebers in those posts don't post on here anymore. Pretty small complaint, given what is still readily available in the PMA forum sections.

HEY MUDDY, I'm on take-3 of PMA membership, I've never received a decal:thrwrck::drink1:

Old post photo links died when the server host switched some stuff. There was nothing we could do about it but take it up the tailpipe.

PM your address, it may take me a day or three but I'll send a decal when/if I find them.

Next 3 people who sign up, get activated, and PM me their address I will send them an Iowawhitetail decal out of my own pocket.

Old post photo links died when the server host switched some stuff. There was nothing we could do about it but take it up the tailpipe.

PM your address, it may take me a day or three but I'll send a decal when/if I find them.

Yes, I knew it was a server issue...and yes it does suck

Next 3 people who sign up, get activated, and PM me their address I will send them an Iowawhitetail decal out of my own pocket.

Take the one you were going to send me, and add it to the new PMA's "bait" should make 4...I'll purchase one, I don't mind supporting the site:way:...I was just "ribbin" ya anyway

Last edited:
Take the one you were going to send me, and add it to the new PMA's "bait" should make 4...I'll purchase one, I don't mind supporting the site:way:...I was just "ribbin" ya anyway

That's fine, beings you're at ISU I was going to pack it in rabbit turds anyway. :D

Top Bottom