Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

corn question

Kansasdeerslayer

PMA Member
Do deer eat freshly sprouted corn greens? My main property I hunt here in eastern KS had the corn harvested around labor day. The deer were hammering the field for about 2 weeks cleaning up the scraps, then the farmer disced under the corn stubble.:mad: There is very little corn laying around for the deer to scavenge now, but there are greens popping up all over the place. I pulled a few out by the roots and it looks like the corn that was turned under is now sprouting. Will the deer browse on the greens? The trail cams are showing a major drop in deer numbers since the farmer disced, but I'm hoping that they may hang around for the fresh growth.

Honestly, I have never noticed deer eating fresh corn sprouts. I have seen turkeys eating them occasionally but the deer never really seemed to eat them when I have been out turkey hunting. Are all your cameras on the field? Around here the deer are really holed up eating acorns. The alfalfa seems to be getting hit too. The beans and corn not so much it seems.

My guess is that the farmer may have also planted winter wheat when he disked and that is what the deer are going after.

The farmer did not plant wheat. When I pulled them out by the roots, you can still see the corn kernel with roots sprouting from it. The deer are staying in the neighbors standing corn now I believe. Due to our drought, there was very poor acorn production in my neck of the woods this year. I had planted radishes, turnips, and snowpeas into an acre of the corn stubble and it got disced under as well. Guess this field won't be worth a crap this year. I usually knock at least a few does down off it. I guess time will tell.

They eat the piss outta mine in spring! I would not imagine it's a choice food source in fall but I'm sure they'd eat it. I'm gonna guess it won't be a big draw though. Deer have 50, 100+ different things they browse and like & my guess is there will be too many other choices they like more. Go throw some winter rye out there!

Any fresh greens at this time of yr. would be attractive I would think. You are lucky you have enough moisture in the dirt to sprout anything. Even in Kansas. In my part of Iowa,,only dust...

Ranger, we are a dust bowl too. We have only had one rain since early august where I am, got one good soaker 2 weeks ago. Otherwise all my plots would be completely non-existent. They are way behind where they should be though, and no rain in the forecast...

Don't know where you are but most of Iowa has nill chance of moisture until maybe next Thurs at the earliest. High pressure was keeping us dry from the west for the past few wks,,now same high is keeping us dry from the east for who knows how long? Omaha and Dakotas, may be lucky though...

Don't know where you are but most of Iowa has nill chance of moisture until maybe next Thurs at the earliest. High pressure was keeping us dry from the west for the past few wks,,now same high is keeping us dry from the east for who knows how long? Omaha and Dakotas, may be lucky though...

Depending on how close you are to your ground I would wait until a high percentage chance of rain and get it planted.
If you are a long ways away I would plant it.
I saw the extended forecast twice in the past show no rain and then we got nailed with 1" soakers.
No one can predict it but it needs to be down to grow.

Top Bottom