Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This weekend.

Not yet, but if I go that route its usually Nov 7th or later. However that isn't saying earlier wouldnt work.

Same here. I tell you what, no idea how you deal with hard hunting BUT.... Most of the "tough guys" I know are getting burnt out by about 7-10 days into the rut, when the hard hunting starts, most my buddies are stressed, emotionally and physically burnt. MOST still haven't learned to pace themselves. As fun & anticipated as it is, guys seem to forgot over a year that a day afield takes a toll on the body & mind. just my 2 cents!

Sligh1 said:
Same here. I tell you what, no idea how you deal with hard hunting BUT.... Most of the "tough guys" I know are getting burnt out by about 7-10 days into the rut, when the hard hunting starts, most my buddies are stressed, emotionally and physically burnt. MOST still haven't learned to pace themselves. As fun & anticipated as it is, guys seem to forgot over a year that a day afield takes a toll on the body & mind. just my 2 cents!

I have slowed my hunting down dramatically this year. I've been out maybe 10 time this years compared to last year when I hunted ever chance I got.

I bring a lunch starting Nov 1st just in case I feel the need to sit all day, most time I eat that lunch back at the truck and take a nap. If the forcast holds Nov 4th would be an all day sit for me. Cold and rainy, never know when they will get up and walk past you on those days.

Cold and rainy, never know when they will get up and walk past you on those days.

That is as close to a fact during the rut as anything IMO. I have seen more mature deer on their feet at all hours on those nasty November days than any high pressure system. :way:

Where do you get a cold rainy forecast? All I have read is more of the same,,Mild,,,,Dry. Nov is forecast to dominate this way. Hope I am wrong, but I see a tough weather rut. Cool of the mornings, best.

I am heading up to Allamakee County this weekend for my annual NE Iowa bow hunt. Normally I pick a weekend in November but this year it lined up better to try for the last one in October. If the weather is cool enough and the deer dictate that I try it, Id love to have my first all day sit be this Sunday the 30th. It might be in a ground blind with a decoy out front but who knows.

I agree with Sligh, I have seen many guys get all hyped up early and then some of them are crying, literally, and plumb worn out by about the 10th of November. Remember, hunting is supposed to be fun! So do you want and what you can sustain without burning out or over hunting your area.

Another consideration though about all day hunts from here on in...I believe this Saturday is the pheasant opener and although the pheasant numbers are down over a wide area of the state, there will still be some orange dudes out in the fields. I have sat in deer stands on opening morning a couple of times and you just never know what is going to be bumped into your timber, etc, by the bird chasers.

Probably wont sit all day yet, I will try to sit a little longer in the mornings and get to my stand a little earlier in the afternoons though.

except for a couple of years that I couldnt really hunt at all, this year is the least I've been in the stand. I've had plenty more chances to get out, but I've only done four sits so far. I'm saving my spots as much as possible until this weekend. Then I will hit it hard in November. October 29th,2006 is the earliest I've tried to do an all day sit, BUT, I shot my buck that morning at 0830... That day was by far the best day for movement all the way up until the shot that I've ever seen. One doe came into estrous early and I went from seeing one buck out of about 15 sits to probably 10 different bucks just that morning. You never know when things are going to explode, so I would just pack a lunch like others have said and if you keep getting good movement, stay a while.

Maybe I'm a pansy, but sitting all day in a tree stand sounds like the worst thing ever to me. Last year during the first 2 weeks of November on my days off, I was hunting in the morning until about 9 and then coming back for the afternoon at about 3 o'clock. I bumped deer once in a while leaving in the morning, but rarely walking back in around 3.

I took November 5th-13th off so hopefully I can get an arrow into a nice one. I guess if the movement is really good, it would be tough to just leave the stand. But besides that, I'll probably hunt a few hours in the morning and then from 3 o'clock or so until dark most days. I usually bring some nutri-grain bars and other little snacks and a bottle of water or 2 in case I'm in the stand longer than anticipated. IMO, it's still early to be thinking about an all day sit.

I have a lot less time this season to hunt (new baby and job). Every weekend that I can, I will probably do all day sits. Taking out the Badlands pack, and getting it loaded down with Zip-Loc bags of PB&J's and jerky.

Like I posted in another thread, I will be out all day, but will probably move at least 3 times to different stands through out the day. I don't have one stand (honestly, don't think anyone does) that is truly a great "all day" stand.

I'm all tagged out, but still planning on being in a stand a lot during the rut. Mostly armed with a camera to take inventory as well as getting in some scouting for shotgun season and get an idea of what is out there for me to shoot then. I don't want to miss out on any of the rut action just because I'm tagged out early.. I won't start all day sits until the first weekend in November. I have vacation from 11/3-11/6 and plan on being in the stand as much as possible during this time..

I plan on sitting all day on Saturday for sure and possibly Sunday. I typically see pretty good movement the last weekend of October with the bird hunters out. This is also the weekend I start to break out the calls. Last year I missed a good 8 that came into the horns clashing together. The weather looks pretty good, best we've had for a weeked so far this year.

I use to hunt 4-5 days a week starting in Oct. about 10 years ago. Never wanted to kill a buck before the rut so I decided about 3 years ago I wasn't going to start hunting until right around Nov 1.

I will sit all day starting this tomorrow. I have seen some of the best bucks moving between 11-2. In fact the last 3 years I have tagged out between 10-2pm. Last year the movement the best movement for me was up until the 4th of November- then they were on lock-down in my area. The best day for all day movement last year from my log was Oct. 29th, Oct 30th, Nov 1st.

Top Bottom