Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

Hunted this morning (Monday)...saw lots of does running around nervous and goofy for the first hour of light, then had two small bucks come through around 8:30, then nothing for the next three hours. I think these warm days with lots of moon at night is making the evening hunts start really late and the morning hunts shut down sooner...they're calling for a messy weather pattern the next two days in this part of the state so we'll see what that brings...

On saturday, i got out to the stand late. It was around 4:30 and I thought i saw a fox so I was going to see how close i could stalk up on it. I got withing 75 yards of where it was and poked my head over the hill and saw a buck walking around. I droped my bag and dug out my grunt. I called this 100 class little 8 point buck in to 8 yards of me standing in the middle of a hay field. Later that nite i saw 3 does.

Got out today at about 1:30, I think there was more wind today than Sat. or Sun.! Also, what is up with the winds from the East?

Anyways, saw a lone doe at 2:45 than a raccoon at 3PM. Then, at 4PM it started to pick up saw 3 bucks, nothing close and unfortunately, for this stand the farmer to the North still has standing corn!!!!

In total, I saw 3 bucks and 5 does. No signs of rut activity, just normal patterns for the does. Not a single buck chasing, saw a doe tear across the CRP and thought something would be hot on her trail, but no.

Overall, a pretty disappointing Fri-Mon hunting!!!

Not sure if I will get out much more so good luck to you guys. The 5 month old is really putting a damper on this season, but he is definitely worth it!

NE Iowa last 7 days of hunting have seen 2 mature bucks and virtually no does. Buck to doe ratio is about 8 to 1. Little bucks poking around and a couple 130's but overall very SLOOOOOW!!!

This afternoon was super slow for me. Sat for 4 hrs and all i saw was one tree rat. Now my buddy sat across the road from me and saw three beddrd does, small buck chasing a doe. a 140ish cruising and a big ole bobcat. And he only sat for an hour and a half because he didnt want to sit in the rain, like I did.

Today was a little dissapointing:

130ish 9pt this morning about 9am... couple yearling bucks after that. Sat till 11

Back in stand at 1:30, kicked out a doe going to stand and then nothing till 3:30. 140 class 8pt (3.5 or 4.5) was chasing and grunting at two does in the draw north of me for 15 min or so... wouldn't come my way :(

two other 2.5-3.5yo bucks passed through tonight all trailing does and grunting.

Sat this morning till about 11 and headed back to truck for a snack. When I got back to truck i noticed a couple hills over in some thick brush a couple deer running around. Glanced at them with the binos and noticed 3 young bucks running around in circles around this doe. Then all of a sudden the big boy stepped out. He was working his butt off keeping the little ones away. Tried to stalk up on him but that was kinda hard to do with 3 other bucks not staying still and a doe that couldnt decide where to lay down. I was able to get to about 60 yards of them but it was so thick and brushy that when I tried to move in a little closer I didnt notice the doe had got up and she busted me. She took off over the hill to the neighbors big section and she took the bucks with her. The big buck is the one I have been after for the last 3 weeks. I sure hope she brings him back or he leaves her and ventures back.

Today was one of my better days I have had in a while rattled 3 different bucks in passed a buck that would hit 130's and saw two that would hit the 150's plus numerous small bucks really could do without this rain

Tomorrow is the ninth, it can't be any worse than the eighth. I saw only one small buck today. I keep telling myself that it only takes a couple minutes to change a season around but its getting tough to sit and not see a shooter. What do some of you do to keep your morale up while not seeing deer?

Headed out tomorrow night and then headed to my father-in-laws property in Albia!!!! Really excited to hunt SE Iowa!!! The property sees no hunting anymore. I am excited will put stand out Saturday mid-morning then probably hunt the rest of the day Saturday and the morning on Sunday!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the ninth, it can't be any worse than the eighth. I saw only one small buck today. I keep telling myself that it only takes a couple minutes to change a season around but its getting tough to sit and not see a shooter. What do some of you do to keep your morale up while not seeing deer?

The same thing you do, tell myself it will happen soon and if I leave, it will never happen! I also play a lot of blackjack on my phone and think how lucky I am to be hunting Iowa!

Same for me today... one little buck... he did walk where he was supposed to for the set I was in though ... I will be back attem tomorrow morning :)

The weather in SE Iowa has been brutal the past couple of days...I'm running some traps with my son and have seen no deer on the fields in the AM...I'm thinking when this weather breaks it's going to be a rodeo!!!...going to give it a whirl the first weather break.

i have hunted for 14 days straight saw alot of deer 10/27thur 11/02 then it was like a light switch went to nothing deer moving late seeing little bucks chasing does went 2 days with no deer i am in van burne county we have alot of deer went from 20 deer a set to 1 or 2 saw some nice shooters last week in about a 2 day span it is going to kick of about friday for about 5 days it should be great happens every year a lull then great just walked out at work and there where 9 does at 11;35 feeding in a bean field no bucks that tells me they arent ready yet next couple of days you guys just wait it out its going to get better

Saw 3 does and 3 bucks, 1 buck a 3 yr old 8 point followed my scent trail to the base of the tree. A nice 10pt and another 8 were cruising.

Pushed a few deer out walking to my stand a little before 3. Pretty sure they were bedded fairly close to my stand, couldn't tell what they were. Had a 125ish 8 point walk by my stand around 4:45. Wouldn't have shot him anyway, but it would be nice if the wind would lay down for damn day. Can't hear a damn coming because it's so wet and windy.

Keep in mind I drive the countryside all day for my job.

8:30am just south of Indianola watched nice 10 point cross the road walk down to the tree line and check a scrape.

10:30am down by Lucas watched a nice buck trotting trough the field nose to the ground.

1:30pm east of Unionville, IA watched a buck walking down a fence line in no hurry.

I pulled my trail cam card yesterday, did have a picture of a shooter running through the food plot tongue hanging.

This should be my vacation but another guy out on medical leave.

Top Bottom