Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

first youth season

ia_buck

My 11 is going youth hunting for the first time and this is my first time going youth i go late muzzy and bow. Needless to say were both excited lol i was wondering if anyone heard of when it starts so i can take vaction for it. Thanks

Usually last couple weeks of August. Last year was the 17th. We do mostly evening hunts with plenty of time after work. May want to think about saving that vacation time in case you need to take him out to fill that youth tag during one of the shotgun seasons.

I beleive mplane meant last part of september, not august. I beleive it is typically last two weekends in september to the first weekend in october. It will be somewhere in there.

Thanks guys wasnt sure. Im going to try to stay away from the shotgun hunters lol

Last edited:
Youth season has undoubtedly become my favorite. A bit of sadness this year as my daughter will turn 16 in August, and therefore not eligible to hunt the youth season. This was her final youth deer from 2011...she'll probably go early muzzy this year.

CIMG0693.jpg

My son still has a couple of years left, and he's looking to match his sister's...or even better it. Last year he passed several decent bucks and ended up taking a nice doe on video late in the youth season. Here's the video link and a still pic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR5Cu2fn6sg

P1050598.jpg

Enjoy your time with them...it goes waaaay too fast. And always remember to take the camera along :way:

NWBuck

Thanks tim and yes it does go by way to fast atleast i have 3 more after this one. next yr i will have to take out 2

Last edited:
Youth season has undoubtedly become my favorite. A bit of sadness this year as my daughter will turn 16 in August, and therefore not eligible to hunt the youth season. This was her final youth deer from 2011...she'll probably go early muzzy this year.

Depends when in August she turns 16.

BONUS DEER HUNTS
Youth Deer Season. Iowa residents that are
less than 16 years old on the day they obtain a
license, are eligible for the Youth Season subject to
the following restrictions:

While hunting, youth hunters must be under the
direct supervision of an adult mentor who has a
valid Hunting License and has paid the Habitat
Fee, if the adult is normally required to have
them to hunt. Only one youth hunter may accompany
each adult mentor.

Clothing requirements, method of take and all
other deer hunting regulations in effect during
the regular deer seasons are in effect during the
youth season, if hunting deer with a firearm.

If a youth hunter turns 16 while utilizing a youth
license, they must purchase a hunting license
and habitat fee, if normally required.

ia_buck said:
Thanks i knew the rules just wasnt sure if anyone heard the days

15th through the 30th of September tags on sale Aug. 15th if you turn 16 anytime after Aug. 16th then you can get a youth tag before you're 16.

Last edited:
Believe the intent of the law is that if you turn 16 DURING youth season, you can hunt the season out. This would rule out any August birthday. At any rate, her birthday is the 14th, so she's done.

NWBuck

TeenageHunter said:
15th through the 30th of September tags on sale Aug. 15th if you turn 16 anytime before Aug. 16th then you can get a youth tag before you're 16.

Dont have to worry about that his bday is aug 9 than i have one in dec one in may and one in april.

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I just want to try this kind of hunting. Where will I start for a newbie like me? :)

Top Bottom