Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crops:

loneranger

Corn has about had it,,from what I saw driving back from Ottumwa this afternoon. Corn plants look like pineapple plants, some areas dried and brown from Ott-to-Pella. From Pella to DesMoines still not that bad, probabaly due to the good downpours I drove thru, on that route a week ago,,friday. I suspect,,a good part of Iowa looks the same way. Growing Pineapple instead of corn. Sad-:(

Here is a picture I took of some corn in the Pella area on Saturday afternoon. It looks 'rough.'
DriedUpCorn.jpg

I think it's beyond needin rain. Was needin couple wks ago. Think it's crop insurance time.Large areas of the midwest are in the same shape. Food prices--------UP!

Ya, depends on the area for sure. rain can pommel a place and miss 10 miles away. Bizarre! Of course, it's also majorly dependent on soil types & quality and when you got your seed in this year. If you got your stuff in super early and avoided a frost, you beez looking pretty good now. As bad as it looks, if we get rain in 2 weeks, it could pull some thru. I road over the pinneapple corn on my farm yesterday with the tractor, figured it wasn't gonna do anything and I needed a path to spray some NWSG's What I road over were 2 rows next to the timber. The trees & vegetation are fighting and taking moisture away from corn just 10' away and we'll easily lose 2 rows just from that. Personally, if you're in the "middle ground" of some previous rain, decent soil, planted right - I still think you'll do "OK" this year. Like my buddy has killer ground, used to 200-220 bushels, year in, year out - and thats not exxagerating. Had dinner with him last night (farms are in one of best counties in Illinois) said his worst case with this no rain continuiing and drought would be 140-150 bushells. suppose we could turn into a desert & get worse BUT most of the time it's not as bad in the end as you think it will be.

Well my friend/farmer, has been at it for a long time, and says,,like I mentioned, not been like this on his ground since 1977. He keeps records.Don't think it is suddenly going to start raining back to normal again. This pattern began in SE IA, last summer and has expanded. Some states have had this for number of yrs.Crazy thing is all experts, did not see somehting this big coming?Most I listend to said would be a fairly normal growing season,,Yea,,Right!

I went to St Louis this weekend and Iowa has great crops compared to down there. They just had 10 days in a row of over 100.

suppose we could turn into a desert & get worse BUT most of the time it's not as bad in the end as you think it will be.

Yep, we went 6 weeks without rain last year and the temps were mid 90+ every day during that span....still made 37 bushel so this year does not even compare like last... at least in my area.

Yep, we went 6 weeks without rain last year and the temps were mid 90+ every day during that span....still made 37 bushel so this year does not even compare like last... at least in my area.

Yeah but the difference around here this year from last was we had a lot more snow and a wet spring last year. We've been DRY from the get go this year. With little to no rain in the forecast it's not looking good. I've heard of a few farmers chopping corn. Bad deal...

No rain

The crops around osceola and indianola looked pretty toasted. We need some rain.

Really sad to hear, I know the farmer that rents my land is probably looking at a low yield. He does have some big bottom ground parcels that will probably produce??

Is there any rain in the forecast?

Called my father inlaw today because I was thinking about selling some corn for this fall with the nice spike in prices. He informed me that as of today he does not think my field will yield anything. I said so like 50-60 bushels an acre? His reply was "zero". This farm is in central Illinois and has done anywhere from 200 to 140 in the 5 years I have owned it.

I think sligh made some good points but I will take the "glass is half empty" approach to what he said. In 1988 the average national yield was down 30%(I would have guessed it was down more than that but thats the number I found). Based on what his farmer friend is predicting his farm that typically yields 220 is looking more like 150. That is a 32% decrease. Exactly what the average farm saw in 1988. I personally think this year the drought from illinois into indiana is gonna end up a lot worse than people realize. Factor in we don't store as much reserves as we did in 1988 and the 5 billiion bushels that ethanol consumes today that it did not back then and you have some serious issues. Hopefully the Iowa crop really surprises to the upside and some corn shows up from places like Minnesota that have received above average rainfall. I just think too much corn has been lost already. Gonna be scary to see the prices for beef and pork next year. I am thankful to have a freezer full of venison right now.

Corn is looking good from Waverly down to Columbus Junction over to the mississippi. There are a couple fields that were plant very late that dont' seem to be doing to well but overall it looks pretty dang good I think.

Called my father inlaw today because I was thinking about selling some corn for this fall with the nice spike in prices. He informed me that as of today he does not think my field will yield anything. I said so like 50-60 bushels an acre? His reply was "zero". This farm is in central Illinois and has done anywhere from 200 to 140 in the 5 years I have owned it.

I think sligh made some good points but I will take the "glass is half empty" approach to what he said. In 1988 the average national yield was down 30%(I would have guessed it was down more than that but thats the number I found). Based on what his farmer friend is predicting his farm that typically yields 220 is looking more like 150. That is a 32% decrease. Exactly what the average farm saw in 1988. I personally think this year the drought from illinois into indiana is gonna end up a lot worse than people realize. Factor in we don't store as much reserves as we did in 1988 and the 5 billiion bushels that ethanol consumes today that it did not back then and you have some serious issues. Hopefully the Iowa crop really surprises to the upside and some corn shows up from places like Minnesota that have received above average rainfall. I just think too much corn has been lost already. Gonna be scary to see the prices for beef and pork next year. I am thankful to have a freezer full of venison right now.

Minnesota will produce some great yields. The corn looks unbelievable in MN, Dakotas... However, I agree with you on parts of Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri may turn out worse than forecasted!

This is a bummer for a lot of folks. seems more I talk to folks, a lot is dependent on when they got their crops in the ground. The one buddy in IL said it did help him immensely that they got their crops in so early.

.Crazy thing is all experts, did not see somehting this big coming?Most I listend to said would be a fairly normal growing season,,Yea,,Right!

Harry Hillaker, the state climatologist, released an article in early spring that said Iowa was due up for a drought. The article also said that the South Carolina area was dry last year, going on to comment that almost every significant drought Iowa has had was preceded by a drought in that region.

So at least one guy "got lucky" with a forecast, but what are you going to do about? Not plant a crop???

I got 0.2" in a shower yesterday afternoon and I'm thankful for it. :way:

Harry Hillaker, the state climatologist, released an article in early spring that said Iowa was due up for a drought. The article also said that the South Carolina area was dry last year, going on to comment that almost every significant drought Iowa has had was preceded by a drought in that region.

So at least one guy "got lucky" with a forecast, but what are you going to do about? Not plant a crop???

I got 0.2" in a shower yesterday afternoon and I'm thankful for it. :way:

I also think Dbltree said something way earlier this year that said we

had a good chance for a drought.

I do not know his sources but I am pretty sure Paul heard it from someone

also, could be the same climatologist.

I am pretty sure weather is like stock picking and some knew there was a

chance.

Minnesota not as bad, but getting worse

I just talked to a large farmer in Minnesota and what looked like a bumper crop is now looking average at best. We have had 3 weeks without rain and hot weather and the once promising crop is now a concern...

crop prices will go higher which is not good:rolleyes:

From memory (so numbers could be off):

The article said that Iowa suffers a significant drought event roughly every 18 years and it had been 24 years since the last one (we were "overdue").. Then, Hillaker linked some ocean currents, the drought in the SE last year, and made a fairly strong case that we might get hit this year.

I'm guessing he wishes he was wrong.

Top Bottom