Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hevi shot

Buckhunter

Just wanted to know what you guys think about this stuff. I shot 12guage 3-1/2" 7s out of my ultimag and the pattern was incredible at 50yds! I have never seen a pattern like it! So my question is how will 7s perform on a turkey at that range? Will it have enough energy to produce a kill shot at that range? All Iknow for sure is that it is suppose to have more knock down then other shot but will the 7 shot get it done at that distance. I will always try to call them in closer but just wondering if this stuff is as good as I have heard at longer ranges. Dont want to be beat down for taking long shots guys Im just really curious about this stuff and what you all think of it.

Last edited:
All the Hevi-shot loads I've shot are great. I've never shot 7's but you shouldn't have any problems going 50yds with it. I usually shoot 4s or 5s and can easily go 70yds without any hesitation. On a windless day I wouldn't be afraid to go further than that.

All the Hevi-shot loads I've shot are great. I've never shot 7's but you shouldn't have any problems going 50yds with it. I usually shoot 4s or 5s and can easily go 70yds without any hesitation. On a windless day I wouldn't be afraid to go further than that.

What he said. I shoot 3.5" #4s and wouldn't hesitate at 50 yards. I always try to get them in as close as possible, but if they hang up at 50-60 yards, I'll drop the hammer. And that's only because I shoot Hevi-Shot.

I've shot hevi shot 7's at a pile of birds. Some a little further than 40 and the result is always a dead turkey.
Just for fun stick a beer bottle on a dowel and step back to 60 yards and watch those little #7 pellets shatter the bottle.
Everything I've read in terms of density and speed a #7 hevishot pellet carries the same energy as #5 lead.
I shot mag blend last year only because it actually patterned better and with a combo of 5, 6, 7 shot it is deadly. Longest kill with the mag blend was a coyote facing me at 62 yards. Stone cold dead.

Number 7 Hevi-Shot makes a great turkeys load! I shoot 2 1/2 oz. of it (Nitro loads) in my SP10. I haven't patterned it past 50 yards because I don't want to be tempted to reach out any further than that (but I know I could). I know a single pellet can break a leg bone at close to 50 yards cause I've seen it. With turkeys, the neck & brain case are your target anyway and it has more than ample energy to break/penetrate them way past 50 yards.

HeviShot in any form is the cats azz. Only bad thing is patterning it because it's a shoulder breaker.

HeviShot in any form is the cats azz. Only bad thing is patterning it because it's a shoulder breaker.

All I got to say to that is Caldwell lead sled :way: and the SP10, scope & all, is well over 10#. A bear to carry but sweet to shoot. Super Black Eagle with turkey loads on the other hand :eek::eek::eek:

An old trick to check penetration...... Put an empty tuna can, not the cheap light weight ones, but the heavy kind, out at the distance you want, bottom facing you. If your load penetrates the the bottom of the can, you are good to go. The tuna can is also the right size to see if your pattern is good at said distance as it's about the same size as the turkeys head.

I tried the mag blend and 6's and the patterns with those were not nearly as good as the 7's were. Seems weird hunting turks with 7 shot but the pattern from 7 shot was unbelievable! What choke tubes do you all recommend? Im using a kicks choke right now but I see they make a choke especially for the hevi shot but are they that much better?

Picking a choke tube/constriction for a turkey load is somewhat like picking a bullet to reload for a particular rifle barrel. Some combinations tend to work well, but each gun will be different. What works great in one may not in the next one. The competition people try lots & lots & lots & lots of choke/load combinations to find a winner. One or two extra pellets in a circle may be the difference between winning & a "thank you very much" for them. For hunting, if you find one that meets your requirements & expectations, quit looking & go with it. When hunting you can't get deader than dead. :way:

Good luck,

I'm shooting an 870 supermag. 23" barrel and a jellyhead tube out preformed everything else I tried, even hevi's tube.

Like others have said each gun may like a different load or tube. The best thing to do is know a handful of people with the same gun and see if you can borrow some tubes.

I've read in multiple sources that you're not supposed to use "regular" choke tubes with hevi-shot or any other non-lead (not steel, either) ammo. I use the Hevi-shot tube and get great patterns from my 11-87, but like Rich and Horse Doc said, try different ones until you nail it.

And I'm with Muddy on the recoil. I sold my Mossberg 835 ultimag because I couldn't stand the kick from that thing with 3.5" Wingmaster HDs and Hevishot. Good luck!

Very very true. Make sure that any tube you plan to throw hevi shot through says its ok. It usually says on the tube and the package

I tried the mag blend and 6's and the patterns with those were not nearly as good as the 7's were. Seems weird hunting turks with 7 shot but the pattern from 7 shot was unbelievable! What choke tubes do you all recommend? Im using a kicks choke right now but I see they make a choke especially for the hevi shot but are they that much better?

Roy,

Hevishot is the sh*t man. To compare hevi shot to lead you drop two shot sizes. Your #7 hevi shot is carrying the energy of 5 shot lead. I have killed birds out to 67 yards with hevi shot. The bird didn't even flinch. Granted you need to pattern your gun like you have and know your limitations. You shoot one bird with hevi shot you will never shoot another bird with anything else.

Goodluck!!

Hey Mike what choke are you using for it? I just looked on Kick's website and they say not to use their choke tube for hevi shot. Oppps!

Hey Mike what choke are you using for it? I just looked on Kick's website and they say not to use their choke tube for hevi shot. Oppps!

H.s undertaker an older one. It is not designed for it either. Figure 2 shots per year wont hurt it. I think the new design is compatible. I hear nothing but good things on the primos jelly head as well.

Top Bottom