Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I love youth season!

Fox Valley Hunter

PMA Member
I think the spring youth turkey season has become my favorite time spent in the woods. I have been hunting since the mid 80's with my family and friends but the last 4 spring hunts with my daughter Morgan are up there at the top. I woke her up at 3:45 this morning to make the drive down to Keosauqua, we picked up my brother in-law at 5:00 and headed out to the farm. Got sat down a little after 6:00 and settled in with Bonnie and Clyde my decoys 20 yards out in front of us. We heard a couple different gobblers sound off and the excitement started to build. A hen flew down right into the decoys at about 6:30 and we just had to wait for the toms to follow. 20 minutes later after 6 deer and a coon milled past us and the hen finally left heading away to the north. We had not heard another gobble since the ones earlier from the roost. Morgan was starting to get a little uncomfortable and asked if she could stand up for a minute. We stood up slowly to stretch and look over the situation, nothing in sight. We were discussing our options when I saw 2 gobblers step out of the crp and into the hayfield about 150 yards away. We sat back down as quick as we could and my brother in law scratched out a couple of yelps as I was getting Morgan's shooting stick back in place and turning her red dot back on. The next thing I know Morgan is telling me "there they are!" I look up to see that they made the 150 yard run in record book time and one Tom goes into strut about 10 yards from my decoys. The other tom is behind him. I whisper to Morgan to shoot the strutter but before she can get on him he jumps on my decoy and starts to wail on him, the decoy stake bends over and then BOOM she dropped him right off the decoy. The next 10 minutes were filled with high fives as we all 3 felt like we were 14 years old. I think that's why they call it youth season because it makes us old guys feel young again to hunt with our kids. I can't wait to get her back out again in a couple weeks.

picture.php

picture.php

That is great.Congrts to all of you.I remember the first one with my daughter like it was yesterday.That memory will be with you forever.Again congratulations!!!!!

Nothing better than spending time with your kids in the woods. Congrats Morgan...and Dad too :way:

NWBuck

Top Bottom