Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

This weekend I will finally be able to plant my EW.

I will be able to disk it first and I will either drill or broadcast it.

Now if I read all the posts correctly I will need to put Simasine on right away

or do I wait until starts to some up?

Thanks for your response.

I will mix in some sorghum...the mix is called Plot Screen by Frigid Forage.

We planted a small patch of this last year and it was a drought victim. Seed laid in dry soil for close to a month with no rain at all. A small amount did eventually germinate after a couple of August rains, but it never got as tall as we had hoped and broke down in winter rather quickly. Probably not a good test as it was certainly extreme conditions...

NWBuck

Paul,

What would you use for the two together?

Or nothing at all? I see you have done similar in this thread.

Thank you.

Good luck to you risto on your planting this weekend. With incoming rain and already wet it will be two weeks before I have a chance of planting. I did get in about 1000' a week ago.

Goatman,

Had everything ready by the time I left Sunday.

Buddy was going to plant it this week.

I am pretty sure it wasn't planted due to this great weather we are havig.

I will try to get it in this weekend. May be late June before it is all in. :mad:

How much milo to EW in the mix ?

Also do you need crop oil for the atrazine? If so How much crop oil

would you recommend?

How much milo to EW in the mix ?

Also do you need crop oil for the atrazine? If so How much crop oil

would you recommend?

Add several#'s of milo to the mix but no crop oil is needed unless you are attempting to burn down existing vegetation such as in a no-till plant situation.

Is 2-4D (LV400) safe on EW? I know it wont help with grass competition but it would at least take out the broadleaves, and I have the 2-4D on hand. Last year I used Crossbow and the EW didnt seem to like it. The EW lived, but it seemed to effect it for a while.
Thanks

Is 2-4D (LV400) safe on EW? I know it wont help with grass competition but it would at least take out the broadleaves, and I have the 2-4D on hand. Last year I used Crossbow and the EW didnt seem to like it. The EW lived, but it seemed to effect it for a while.
Thanks

In theory yes...wait til the EW has 3-4 leaves and use a light dose first, 2-4D is powerful nasty poison but is generally safe on grasses, however it can also have negative effects on young corn, milo, switchgrass etc. so just use caution and let us know how it works out?

Thanks Paul. If I remember right, the EW was 1'-2' tall when I sprayed it last year and it twisted up a little for a week or so before it started to come around. The drought conditions may have may have contributed to the problem, but I will go light on the 2-4D.

It will be interesting to see how my EW and milo does with all this rain

up in NE Iowa.

I actually planted some before a few big rains last weekend. The other was a few weeks ago.

15" in 4 days. Hope it is still there. :eek:

Wouldn't atrazine or (if unavailable) Simazine be better choices as EW herbicide? If EW has already emerged.....not sure if they can still be used but I'm thinking yes.

You could use Atrazine and crop oil. Mixed results. 2,4d lightly is right like above says obviously.
My bet will be, unless it's really being competed against badly - the EW will blow past the weeds in the next 3-4 weeks.

How well does EW do when it has wet feet? I planted some around our duck blind this year to conceal it, and with all the rain we have been getting, the soil is thoroughly saturated.

How well does EW do when it has wet feet? I planted some around our duck blind this year to conceal it, and with all the rain we have been getting, the soil is thoroughly saturated.

Probably the one area EW ain't gonna get along so well. Too wet, etc - not good. Have you seen it lately? Drought is much better than too wet for EW.

Sligh1 - thanks for the quick reply. That's what I feared. Hopefully I will get out there this weekend to take a look at it. I will report back on how it's doing.

The EW I planted along my food plots is doing great...I had hoped for the same at the duck blind. All things accounted for, I'll take too much rain over not enough any day of the week.

Top Bottom