Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cover Crop

TheKingsDeer.com

Whitetail-Images.com
Just curious whether anyone else in the state is seeing crop planes flying over doing "cover crop" seeding. I hear they are a mix of beets, winter rye, etc. maybe someone in the Whitetail Management forum would know?

We are getting rain again in SW Iowa and the guys that have chopped and there very few beans that ere out are doing it making one big food plot going into the winter!

I've heard of it, but not seen anyone around me doing it. Everything is still green here, just starting to turn. A few fields chopped. Great idea done early enough without an early freeze. Where have you been seeing it Tony? Up here?

I just broadcast the last of my winter rye into weak soybeans and spotty brassicas yesterday. Great rain this morning!

Last edited:
There was $2.8 million dollars allocated to the state for a couple different types of conservation practices for this fall. All that money went to cover crops. Producers are getting $25/acre up to 160 acres to broadcast/drill cover crops. In SW Iowa they have been flying it on since labor day (plane or helicopter). They are using mainly using straight radishes or turnips, straight rye, or rye radish turnip mixes. Fields that were chopped early have already been drilled and are coming up nicely.

Most producers flew the seed on in standing corn fields; mainly since they don't want to be cutting growing cover crops when they are cutting beans. Also, if they are turning cattle into the stocks this winter it'll give them more winter feed.

Top Bottom