Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Goodbye Old Friend

jkratz5

Today I had to say goodbye to my 10 year old bassett hound Berkley. Some of you know him and what a cool dog he was and for those of you who don't, all I can say is there isn't much more you could ask for in a dear friend.

We got him as a pup and he was really the start to our family. He loved the outdoors, he lived for walks and especially long hikes in the timber. He was right there in the passenger seat with me every night as we glassed the fields of Iowa and Indiana looking for those summer bachelor groups. He loved harvest days, no matter what it was, deer, turkey, geese, you couldn't let him out of the house fast enough when we brought something home. I actually think he might be in every harvest photo session I have ever taken :)

He took on my wife's personality and we always laughed that she turned him into her, they truly were best friends. My son had really begun to learn how special he was and they had a very cool bond, they had become very good buddies in the last year. He will be sorely missed by our family but gave us a lifetime of memories.

Goodbye my friend, I hope I was half the friend to you as you were to me.

It's always tough to lose the family dog, I still remember the day I had to take our first Lab in to the vet for the "final visit", the whole family was blubbering. Sorry to hear about your Basset, they are great dogs. Any plans to get another?

Sorry for your loss- words can't describe and sounds like he left your family some great memories!

Awful news, Jarin. Always hard to let em go. Love the pic of pup and boy... That shot has no need for words. It explains it all. Hope you have a frame wrapped around that one.

My first dog lived to be 19. I was more than hesitant to get another after spending my early childhood all the way through my early 20's. My wife talked me into it and i dont think ill ever be without a dog. Just appreciate them and say goodbye when its time. The next one will be just as loyal and fun!

Jarin, your words tell all of us how good a friend you were to Berkley. The images say the rest - some priceless images for sure. Take care buddy.

I still go back and read the words you wrote ehen I said goodbye to my girl this summer. There isn't much harder than losing our fur friends. My heart goes out to you and your family, buddy!

Sorry for your loss. Wife and I have been there. We had our 16 year old vezla mix put to sleep almost two years ago. She was a rescue pup. Wife and I had her cremated and she's forever with us.

Words cannot do justice to the pain of loosing a friend as close as a good dog. I feel so bad for you & the rest of the family.

Top Bottom