Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ripped Off!

bowman

Super Moderator
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43385&highlight=Octane+quiver

Lesson learned. I advertised this quiver back in 2012 and declined a few offers but it didn't sell. Out of the blue I got a call this fall from a guy in Maryland wanting to buy it. We agreed on a price and two days later he called me saying that the check came back to him and after repeating it he said realized he had my address wrong. Putting faith in a fellow bow hunter I sent the quiver before receiving the check, which never came. He sent me a photo of my quiver on his bow and acted surprised when I said I hadn't received his check. He said that he would check with Western Union and I never heard another word from him. A call to Western Union revealed no one by his name has ever sent a check to someone by my name through them. He won't answer my calls, texts, or emails. It has been two months. I called the local PD in Maryland and they have no one one in the area by his name.

His phone is still hooked up though, just goes to voice mail. I'm half tempted to post his phone number and email here for all of you to call him too, just to make a point.:D

So, there are still good people in this world, I just have a tendency to find the bad ones.:confused: Lesson learned!

Btw you may be able to perform a reverse phone lookup. If you know some law enforcement I'm positive they can find out for you.

Post it up! Im sure there are plenty of night owls on here that will wake him up to remind him to pay up!

Screwy deal. I would have done the same thing as you as far as sending the quiver to a fellow bowhunter before payment...trust the brotherhood, right!? Wow, what a guy...

I just found out someone spent $427 at target on thanksgiving on MY cabelas credit card. Also tried to swipe it at 2 walmarts but got cancelled. Fraud. I just wonder about people who do these things...I'm not mad, I feel bad for them that they have to be so low.

I have been lucky with no rip offs. I'll tell you that it always seems that we view the seller is the one at risk of rip off, but the buyer has equal risk. I have been fortunate in that I have never had a deal gone bad, but I know I probably will someday. I'll continue to trust the good in people until that day. When selling, I will usually ship before receiving payment.

If you sent him the quiver, don't you have an address too, in addition to the phone number? I would be tempted to post up both of them.

Geez, i am from maryland originally.

Man, i hope that wasn't me...he he he he. Seriously, i an not surprized maryland, especially the baltimore area, is famous for criminal activity. Sorry, this happened to you.

If he only had those contacts.

:D Ya, I know. After 17 years in law enforcement I have never worked a scam that was for a cheap product, it is always a money transaction of some kind. And yes, I tried the reverse look up and it comes back to a track phone out of Baltimore. When I called the PD in the town I shipped to, without saying it, they said "why would you send the product before sending the money, aren't you a cop?" :eek: The guys name does'nt exist in their system.

And as for his address.......well.....he had me hook, line, and sinker. After chatting over the phone several times, talking hunting, he even sent me pictures of him with deer. Now I doubt the photos are even of him. So, I deleted the address from my texts after sending it. I know, I know.....he got me.

So, it's only $60 bucks. Lesson learned. MNbuckhunter made a good point. No reason to be mad, just wonder what is going on in his life to make him feel good about ripping off the trusting.

I too have learned that it isn't worth the time of day to deal with these people. They will only bring you down to their level. Be the bigger man, take the high road!
Besides I am sure you shot a bigger buck than he did this year! :)

I too have learned that it isn't worth the time of day to deal with these people. They will only bring you down to their level. Be the bigger man, take the high road!
Besides I am sure you shot a bigger buck than he did this year! :)

I like your way of thinking!;)

Yeah, I would gladly call it for ya... after buying a bow from ya a few years back, I would like to think I am one of the good ones you had to deal with :D

Reagan often gets credit for it but ironically it's an old Russian saying: Trust, but verify. All in all, $60 is a fairly cheap lesson. It does pi$$ one off being duped though! :mad: Pity the next scammer you catch... ;)

Never ship before a check clears. I have put tons of faith into people but you have to protect yourself

Top Bottom