Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters Association

Great post Iowabowhunter1983. My comments are in red below.

Banquet(s) are nice and should continue to be tweaked. There are a lot of good suggestions already in the thread and it sounds like the IBA has plans to make them better for 2016-17. That being said, banquets take a commitment of time and money to attend. Many folks don’t have one or the other or both. There is a huge audience that will never be "banquet goers" that needs to be captured.

Moving the banquet to a different location and even further (3 weeks before instead of the week before ) from the Deer Classic will attendance since the banquet and Deer Classic will be on back-to-back weekends.

Spread the word. IBA is not "out there". If IBA is going to continued to be affective it must grow. It must recruit. It must spread the word. If it was in the budget I would hire a marketing/branding firm. Social media is an unbelievable outlet and its FREE. With the right marketing campaign the audience on social media could increase tenfold…. Almost overnight.

We have ramped up our social media presence and have instantly seen positive results. This increased presence will continue. Follow us on Twitter @IAbowhunters or like us on Facebook.

I am the chair of the newly created marketing committee and have been in marketing/sales for two large companies over the past 10 years. We have to eat the elephant one bite at a time and at some point a marketing/branding firm will have to be brought in. I feel with the experience the marketing committee has, we can make an immediate impact at a lower cost and then take the next bite.

Once a larger audience is captured it must offer relevant and interesting content. I think hunters are some of the most passionate people there are. They want to know what is going on and what the issues are. They will listen.

Agree completely. Any ideas from the membership are appreciated and we will work to make them happen.

The IBA website needs a major overhaul. It looks low budget and is not very appealing to the eye. This should be redone in conjunction with a rebranding of IBA. It doesn’t even appear you can sign up on the website (although you can pay via paypal). It appears you have to print something off and send it snailmail. I equate this to not being able to pay at the pump at a gas station. Its archaic! See QDMA website as an example of one that is well put together.

Website is being overhauled as we speak and changes should be made over the next month. I agree that an online form for signup with credit card payment would be much more user friendly than Paypal or printing off a form to mail/scan and email back to the IBA.

This is already being incorporated into the new website!!

The IBA logo is not very easy to read. The logo is actually blurry on the website! The most prominent thing on it is the word "IOWA". If someone glanced at while in passing on say a T-shirt all they would see is "Iowa". Again this could be tweaked as part of a larger rebranding effort. This may seem like a trivial thing, but it is not. People need to know who you are when a logo is used on any marketing material and it needs to be recognizable…instantly.

This is the next bite off the elephant and the next logical step after the website redesign and was discussed at the last board meeting.

Mission Statement: Does the IBA have one? It may be listed on the website….kinda sort of. "Its purpose is to protect, defend, and promote bowhunting in the state of Iowa". This mission statement should be tweaked and it should be at the forefront of what everything IBA does. It should be one of the first things people see when they go to the website so in 5 seconds someone who has no knowledge of IBA can get the idea of what IBA is all about.

In any business this needs to be easy to find on the homepage for everyone to see. This will be changed!

People on here have stated that they have not "felt" the benefit of being a part of IBA. It doesn’t matter if anyone on here agrees with that or not. It is irrelevant. If people perceive no benefit then that is their reality. IBA needs to "trumpet the masses" about what they have done, what they are doing, what they plan to do and explain the benefits of supported IBA. "Wins" by IBA should be celebrated and reported.

Agree and that is why we are more aggressive about posting on Facebook and Twitter.

I agree about moving the banquet but I would go later rather than earlier. Take advantage of the huge influx of hunters at the deer classic and SELL TICKETS there! Plus you avoid some of the crappy weather that can affect attendance.

I agree that the IBA logo is in need of a change. It is definitely not something that catches the eye or draws attention. It should be something cool that people are proud to display. I have an IBA decal in my back window but it just has a deer head in the center with "Iowa Bowhunters Association" wrapping around. I would not have put a decal of the logo on.

Website and social media are good. Would like to see a section for member pictures. Also a 3D shoot calendar for statewide shoots. Would like to see some get togethers organized at some of the 3d shoots throughout the summer. Nothing big like the fall festival but maybe a barbecue on Saturday afternoon or something. Generally when I go to a shoot people show up, shoot, then leave. I very seldom get to meet and visit with other shooters.

We are operating with a 2006 or older laptop with antiquated software. Revamps of that is also in the works. You should have gotten mailings and renewal notices, if you didnt' then something is messed up . All new people are in charge of this now and we are trying to fix it. We spend an hour on just that this afternoon. Send a PM to Hawk32 on here as he has our lists and we will do everything we can to get you squared away.

Like I said, I'll most likely join again now. The weird thing was I got the newsletter and I got the annual book, just no renewal notices. None. It's good to hear things are going to get better. It just kind of gave me the good old boys club feel when I wasn't even asked to renew. I'm sure it was just an oversight. I just thought I'd share so you know why I'm no longer a member. I'll be at the classic this year. I'll most likely sign up there.

I would like the IBA to do what P&Y does on their renewal notice is have a column where a person can donate to another fund. I would rather donate to my own back yard then some where in another state. If there isn't a fund one should be made so the IBA can use that money where they see fit. To all board member Thank You for all that you do you guys are awesome.

I would rather donate to my own back yard then some where in another state.
^^^^This is exactly why I will not be a member or attend events by QDMA, Whitetails Unlimited, etc. Most of the money goes out of state.

^^^^This is exactly why I will not be a member or attend events by QDMA, Whitetails Unlimited, etc. Most of the money goes out of state.

That's correct. 100% of the money the IBA spends stays in Iowa to protect and defend our bowhunting rights.

In 2016 & 17 the Banquet will be held at a fairly new facility that will be very nice, centrally located and not far away. Very easy to get to and lots of reasonably priced hotels within a couple miles plus a shuttle bus that can be used to bring people to their hotels if needed.

Define centrally located and not far away? Let me guess, Central Des Moines?

We are operating with a 2006 or older laptop with antiquated software. Revamps of that is also in the works. You should have gotten mailings and renewal notices, if you didnt' then something is messed up . All new people are in charge of this now and we are trying to fix it. We spend an hour on just that this afternoon. Send a PM to Hawk32 on here as he has our lists and we will do everything we can to get you squared away.

FYI - I bought a Lenovo Laptop that had the most memory, speed (all the crap, I don't know anything about it but I got "THE BEST" for memory, speed, capabilities, storage, etc) and all that junk... It was a "demo model" but really was new, just out of the box is all - it was $360 off of Amazon. If it comes down to it, I think this would either be a "minor expense" or we could raise the funds on our own here. happy to help

I attended several spring banquets years ago but quit going. Reason being was the auction drug out waaaaaaay toooooo long. And they didn't draw for the raffles till after the auction. That kept most folks there through the auction (most who don't participate in it anyhow), but for the ones who don't want to spend money on a hotel and have a long drive back home from DM, it makes for a very late night. May want to consider changing that or starting earlier.

Thanks to all the board members who have served the IBA. What a refreshing great thread with good information, good suggestions, and staying (almost) always positive. There will be 4 new members signing up soon. Not sure why I never joined before now.

I attended several spring banquets years ago but quit going. Reason being was the auction drug out waaaaaaay toooooo long. And they didn't draw for the raffles till after the auction. That kept most folks there through the auction (most who don't participate in it anyhow), but for the ones who don't want to spend money on a hotel and have a long drive back home from DM, it makes for a very late night. May want to consider changing that or starting earlier.

They have changed that a few years ago. Now it is around 10 or 10:30 it is done it is a lot faster. See you all at the banquet it will be a good time!

As others have said before, a great way to get involved is through your local archery club. If your club is currently not a 100% IBA club, try to convince them to do so. Our club, Echo Valley Archers in West Union, is proud to be a 100% IBA club. We collect dues from all of our members and write one check to the IBA. Our club will be cutting a check for about 80 members this year! Thank you Boyd, Bonker, and everyone else that works to protect hunting rights in this great state.

As others have said before, a great way to get involved is through your local archery club. If your club is currently not a 100% IBA club, try to convince them to do so. Our club, Echo Valley Archers in West Union, is proud to be a 100% IBA club. We collect dues from all of our members and write one check to the IBA. Our club will be cutting a check for about 80 members this year! Thank you Boyd, Bonker, and everyone else that works to protect hunting rights in this great state.

That's awesome!! How many are you sending to the Spring Banquet? I know you guys come out in full force at the Fall Festival!

JakeWym 80 members is awesome. I am gonna do my best and make it up for one of your indoor shoots this winter. I always here great things about it.

Hey look what showed up today in the mail! :)
picture.php

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was thinking about this the other day. Iowa has plenty of "celebrity" hunters on TV. Are most of them members or could they care less? And why aren't they pimping the group on tv instead of some of their gimmicks? This association has a lot more to due with their success than the cruncher or any other useless product that they will promote. Just wondering if the IBA has reached out to any of them to see if they could throw in a little IBA comment just to broaden the spectrum of the group.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was thinking about this the other day. Iowa has plenty of "celebrity" hunters on TV. Are most of them members or could they care less? And why aren't they pimping the group on tv instead of some of their gimmicks? This association has a lot more to due with their success than the cruncher or any other useless product that they will promote. Just wondering if the IBA has reached out to any of them to see if they could throw in a little IBA comment just to broaden the spectrum of the group.

Some TV celebrities are IBA Members, many are not. Wish they all were. I will not call people out on here as to who is and isn't but feel free to ask them about it when you talk with them at places like the Iowa Deer Classic. I agree, their fame and fortune only happened because of the Iowa seasons and laws structures that is the way it is because of the IBA.

We are working with more big celebrities for speakers at our banquet for 2016 & 2017. Announcements to be made at the Banquet at the end of this month.

Very interesting point to bring up and I think you nailed it!!!
Heck, some with Governor's tags are tasked to market Iowa as a destination for big bucks to the masses (that's stated goals of program). You'd logically think these guys would want to keep Iowa a great resource, like it has been in the past. To some extent, their "business" would rely on Iowa defending its resource so I think it's a wise business decision to have them join and promote to others. I hope more do.

In all fair balanced discussion.... I think SOME don't join because SOME of these guys own or hunt gigantic farms where they can insulate themselves from bad regs, politics, special interests and crazy seasons. They will ALWAYS have great hunting. Even if the masses and average guy gets burnt with bad regs, they are immune in many cases. But, yes, overall, on average, anyone from the every day guy, 3 days a year hunter to the "pro hunter" does and will benefit from the IBA. I'll stand firm that EVERYONE benefits (whether you're out to shoot a year old buck or a fully mature buck OR a doe) from the IBA in so many ways it's astounding. Sad to see states like KS, IL, MI, MN, etc without a group like this & coincidentally what has happened there or not happened/changed that "should have". Everyone with a FB page should get to putting something about IBA on there too.

Top Bottom