Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OK, here's an off, well, "on" the wall question...

Daver

PMA Member
Someone I know recently received a nicely framed Larry Zach Old Rival's print. (Actually I think that they may have this print for years and only recently had it framed.) This was Old Rivals 3, as he already had Old Rivals #1 and #2 on display. FWIW, we got to talking about the Old Rivals series as I also have a few Zach prints, including Old Rivals 3 and Big Country Bucks. That conversation led to a question that I thought maybe someone here might know the answer to...

I also have another Zach print that I thought was named Old Rivals 2-1/2, as my recollection when I bought it was that it was named as such. (I remember buying this at the Iowa Deer Classic years ago now.) I believe the print in question was actually the 1999 Iowa Habitat Stamp too.

So after talking about this...my friend said that there was never an Old Rivals 2-1/2 and that I was full of beans, etc. :D So I looked at the print and sure enough, I can't see anywhere on the actual print where it is labeled as such, however, the theme is clearly out of the Old Rivals line of prints.

Did I just dream up the name "Old Rivals 2-1/2" or was it at one time referred to as such? (I couldn't find the answer either way by looking at Larry's website.)

Please help me settle a bet here before I am stuck paying for someone's lunch tomorrow!! :D TIA

If it has two pheasants in the foreground the bucks and background is the same as old rivals 2. Larry talks about it on his website. It just says 1999 habitat stamp on the name of it.

I know the print you are talking about... Never seen it advertised as 2.5 of the series. Maybe it was just marketed as such at the time he released the print? He used to be at the IDC, I'd ask him this weekend if he still does the show. Love his work.

His work is awesome! My grandparents and uncles have a lot of his prints! I don't know about the 2.5 rival print though. My favorite print of his has to be "big city bucks" with downtown des moines in the background! I hope you win your bet! Good luck!

I know the print you are talking about... Never seen it advertised as 2.5 of the series. Maybe it was just marketed as such at the time he released the print? He used to be at the IDC, I'd ask him this weekend if he still does the show. Love his work.

Good idea, only I won't be there. If anyone reading this does talk to Larry and you happen to think about it...please do ask him. :D

I think this is your answer.

I must not have been very clear in my original post, but I did know that the print that I am referring was the 1999 Habitat Stamp and as such, is found on the Zach website. What I am trying to establish whether or not that print was ever marketed or sold or even colloquially referred to as "Old Rivals 2-1/2"?

For some reason, that is what I thought the print was called, I think that is how it was represented at the Deer Classic the year I bought it there. But, I can't say that for sure.

Top Bottom