Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Resident Youth

tmule88

Does a youth hunter (8 years old) that is a non resident have to go through the preference points/drawings for an Iowa tag just as an adult would?

I am looking to take the little guy hunting but can not find any information on non resident youths.

Thanks, Tyler

He will have to be 16 as a non resident and go thru the drawing, I believe.

He will have to be 16 as a non resident and go thru the drawing, I believe.

You are correct. I believe you can still register that youth as an adult. Much like you can buy a youth a fishing license to process his own limit of fish. Makes the most sense too, if not every tom dick and Harry would just sign their "non resident " kid up to shoot a more vulnerable big buck.

Does a youth hunter (8 years old) that is a non resident have to go through the preference points/drawings for an Iowa tag just as an adult would?

I am looking to take the little guy hunting but can not find any information on non resident youths.

Thanks, Tyler

I've found very little support for letting NR youth hunt deer in IA. Even though we own a farm in IA no tags allowed unless you pay $500+

I've brought it up to IBA with no response.

I've found very little support for letting NR youth hunt deer in IA. Even though we own a farm in IA no tags allowed unless you pay $500+

I've brought it up to IBA with no response.
Problem is it only takes one jerk to cheat and use his kid to get a tag. So it would never work. To many deer crazy grown men.

Kind of like the youth season in place presently for resident kids? Yea, you're correct.

Kind of like the youth season in place presently for resident kids? Yea, you're correct.
It's a little different, residents can already kill 3 bucks in Iowa if they own a farm! There is a reason they stopped the non resident doe tags during bow season too. Lots of guys coming during the rut( to shoot a doe)! And trust me I know we have plenty of local poachers too, so I'm not just banging on non residents. But please tell me how many Iowa residents do you know of filling there kids tags during youth season? I know of none.

Really. I know of one BIG harvest in SC Iowa several years ago during youth season where many debate who the shooter was.

What if the child's father is a non resident but the child's mother is an Iowa resident? Would the kid be able to participate in Iowa youth season?

What if the child's father is a non resident but the child's mother is an Iowa resident? Would the kid be able to participate in Iowa youth season?

I would think it would come down to where the child resided, but I would contact the IDNR to clarify. Almost all of us can only offer our opinion(s), I would seek an authoritative answer from the IDNR.

There are debates about every big deer shot, that don't make it true.

True that! ^ It seems like every giant deer taken is then followed by someone casting aspersions about the legality of the kill...almost all of whom have no facts whatsoever to work with.

What state does the child attend school? There's your answer.

Let the iowa kids enjoy the hunting perks of living in iowa. There is no need to open non-resident youth hunts. Residents have a hard enough time finding a place to take their kids hunting. Iowa has a good system.

What state does the child attend school? There's your answer.

Let the iowa kids enjoy the hunting perks of living in iowa. There is no need to open non-resident youth hunts. Residents have a hard enough time finding a place to take their kids hunting. Iowa has a good system.

Of course the same could be said in other states for deer, turkey, pheasant, ducks, bear, elk, maybe even fish. We could all just worry about each other in each state.

I happened to meet a Iowa DNR officer in a local Subway in relation with the deer I mentioned. The conversation went like this:

- Me: Can I ask about so and so deer and if it was taken legally.
- Officer: I can't talk about it.
- Me: Many have questions about who the shooter was.
- Officer: We can't can't talk about it.
- Me: Why can't you talk about it.
- Officer : I can't say.

Really? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure something wasn't right.
I also know many residents who also questioned the kill. The point is I'm tired of hearing about NR's using loopholes, etc to break rules when the same happens every year by residents.

I happened to meet a Iowa DNR officer in a local Subway in relation with the deer I mentioned. The conversation went like this:

- Me: Can I ask about so and so deer and if it was taken legally.
- Officer: I can't talk about it.
- Me: Many have questions about who the shooter was.
- Officer: We can't can't talk about it.
- Me: Why can't you talk about it.
- Officer : I can't say.

Really? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure something wasn't right.
I also know many residents who also questioned the kill. The point is I'm tired of hearing about NR's using loopholes, etc to break rules when the same happens every year by residents.

So you have no facts...just hearsay mixed with speculation. Got it.

No, very clear to me what the CO was saying. Keep in mind this conversation was a year after the harvest and beyond any inquiry done. If all was good why not say so? In addition, something was said about the "big picture" outweighing any one incident, or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom