Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Questionable Buck?

What do you guys think of him. I think he's young but it'd be near impossible to pass if he walked by...What do you think he scores?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I would say 4.5 years old but dang that guy has some serious potential! Pass if you can, or hope you dont get a shot and he survives !

I would shoot every day and twice on Tuesday, just me though. Not sure of your property situation and if you let him go he might be alive next fall.

Would be hard to pass. But hunt him- maybe you get "lucky" and shoot another mature buck cruising through and this guys makes it another year. Sweet sheds too!!

If he came by me in my situation I'd be smiling all the way home. Great buck by the way.

In bow range, let the arrow fly! Who know what could happen before next year, move to a different farm, hit by a car or killed by another hunter. Too many variables!!

Question to the guys that say he is 3.5 to 4.5 years old and pass on him. How can you tell from that pic? Not saying our wrong, Im just curious what characteristics you are looking at. Once they get to mature size I cant tell the difference. I suck at aging deer.

Personally, I say who gives a crap how old he is. Id shoot that thing in heartbeat. I cant imagine his rack getting much bigger. Unless you have pristine land and are confident he wont get shot and you will get another crack at him next year, I wouldn't pass. Only reason Id pass is if you have bigger deer on your property that you were confident you could kill.

In bow range, let the arrow fly! Who know what could happen before next year, move to a different farm, hit by a car or killed by another hunter. Too many variables!!

Many variables. I had a similar situation last year with a buck I believed to be 4.5. Ended up not picking my bow up when he entered the field. Had other bucks I wanted to shoot and wanted to give this one a chance to go another year. Have been questioning myself for the last year if I made the right choice. I suppose I did, since I wanted to give him another year. Oh, btw, haven't seen or got pics of him this year, so not sure if he's still around or not.

I'd say he's at least 3.5, but leaning toward 4.5. Definitely a good buck, and one that a lot of people wouldn't pass.

I say you have one of the best 3.5 year olds I've ever seen. He doesn't have a Roman nose and just looks young. He will gross boone. Passing him all depends on the situation. Several guys on here would definitely pass him and other will think your nuts for even considering it. My thought is he's a special deer and if you think he is protected enough to live then I'd definitely let him walk. That's coming from me and I've never killed a gross Boone. He's got 200 potential next season IMO. He's a good deer, a darn good one, but if you want to kill a true giant it would be a shame to not see what does does next year.

He's a good deer, a darn good one, but if you want to kill a true giant it would be a shame to not see what does does next year.

exactly - like I said in my thread- Risk VS Reward- you will see other big deer around- but not often can you take a chance and see a true giant. Look at Sligh's buck- and look at the picture of that buck from when he passed him with the neck would- MAYBE .000005% of hunters could have passed him and would have been told your nuts - but look what happened there.

Trophy's aren't just inches of bone- but that guy sure has the potential IMO

I know it's a guess to any of us until he's on the ground, but everything about him says 3.5 or 9.5....

I don't see the "old-ness" to his looks. His hips are higher, I don't see the Roman nose (many on here have great pics of Roman noses and I think that first pic is distorted a touch in width), and his bases are small, and his tines are thin. I had a 151" inch 9 pointer that was a 3.5 that looked the exact same as far as tine shape and length.

That being said, I shot that buck....and would shoot this one. Great, unique buck. Congrats on the pics - fun just to be able to hunt such an animal.

Top Bottom