Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Conceal carry

I just bought a S&W Shield 9mm. Can't say too much about it yet as it is so new. But I like it so far!

It all depends on how you're going to plan on using it when you pick a gun. Going to use it as an actual concealed carry? Going to use it and carry it while bow hunting (possibly needing more knock down power?) I wanted something a little more middle of the road and so that's how I made my decision.

The best option is to first pick a gun that you will actually carry.
Second is getting to the point of that gun being an extension of your wardrobe and knowing it in and out and putting 6-800 rnds through it. Then you will have an understanding of the gun.
Holster options are endless but it all goes back to having a system that you will actually carry the gun. Comfort and keeping it concealed.
Any gun is better than nothing if you will ever need it. I sure hope that I will never need mine!

I carry a SCCY cpx-2. It's a 9 mm subcompact. I know, I know its a brand nobody has ever heard of but I thought I'd give it a shot. The price was right. To be honest, its a fantastic gun. I had one failure to feed within the first five round and not one issue since then. I mainly carry IWB with a Remora holster. Super simple holster that works great. My advice is go hold a bunch of guns and see what fits you best.

Going to use it and carry it while bow hunting (possibly needing more knock down power?)

Better be careful of the advice you are suggesting. Iowa law says you can't carry during bow season unless you also have a legal tag that allows the use of a handgun. I don't agree with the law but that's neither here nor there.

.380 for summer, 9mm for spring/fall, .45 for winter. Decisions based on how easy it is to conceal with clothing worn and what clothing is going to be worn by someone if they are on the receiving end.

Pick one that is comfortable to you though and that you can shoot well.

I'll throw on the glock 23 if I'm going to the mall, somewhere in the city, or doing a Craigslist deal with lots of cash. I just haven't gotten used to the feel enough- weight and bulk (and it's a subcompact ) I also don't justify the need around the rural community I live in .

Better be careful of the advice you are suggesting. Iowa law says you can't carry during bow season unless you also have a legal tag that allows the use of a handgun. I don't agree with the law but that's neither here nor there.

Is that a state law or DNR regulation for bow season?

I carry a .40 but I'm thinking a .38 would be more comfortable and more easy to conceal. I'm also considering a .380. Those things can easily fit in your jeans pocket.

Best bet is to find a range that rents handguns and try a variety! Everyone is different in what feels good in their grip, recoil, large frame or subcompact. Just like a bow you need to carry what is most comfortable for you.

I carry a .40 but I'm thinking a .38 would be more comfortable and more easy to conceal. I'm also considering a .380. Those things can easily fit in your jeans pocket.

It's in the DNR regs but that also makes it a state law as far as that goes. After spending some significant time on public out in the boonies this year where I had a run in with a questionable dog and also an uncomfortable few minutes of being looked over by a couple rough looking guys at the parking lot I'd like to see it changed. I don't want to leave it in my truck while I'm out either. I was fully prepared to find my windows smashed out or worse when I got back.

Yes it's a DNR regulation. Here is the section from a bulletin that came out when the shall carry law (724.7) came into affect. The bulletin covered some laws in concern and how the shall issue law would or would not change those laws.

571 I.A.C. § 106.7(6)

“while hunting deer, to carry
or have in possession
a rifle except as provided in
106.7(3) and 106.7(5). It
shall be unlawful for a
person hunting with a bow
license to carry
a handgun unless that
person also has a valid
deer hunting license and an
unfilled transportation tag
that permits a handgun to
be used to take deer.”
Section 724.7 does not
alter the application of this
section. Thus, a person still
cannot possess a
handgun while bowhunting
“unless that person also
has a valid deer hunting
license and an unfilled
transportation tag that
permits a handgun to be
used to take deer.”

I carry a SCCY cpx-2. It's a 9 mm subcompact. I know, I know its a brand nobody has ever heard of but I thought I'd give it a shot. The price was right. To be honest, its a fantastic gun. I had one failure to feed within the first five round and not one issue since then. I mainly carry IWB with a Remora holster. Super simple holster that works great. My advice is go hold a bunch of guns and see what fits you best.

I agree with both of these points.
I have a cpx-2 and it is a great little gun. They are very affordable and made in the USA. All that SCCY makes is 9mm compact handguns. The first generation of the cpx-1 had issues that hurt the company right out of the chute, but the cpx-2 has gotten great reviews.

Go someplace like Cabelas or Scheels where you can handle a bunch of different guns to find the one that fits your hand the best. It took months of handling and shooting different guns before my wife settled on the Ruger SP101 .38/357.

My apologies... I live and hunt in SD which is apparently a different law. It is ok for bow hunters to carry a pistol while bow hunting in SD. I forget what state I'm in sometimes.

My apologies... I live and hunt in SD which is apparently a different law. It is ok for bow hunters to carry a pistol while bow hunting in SD. I forget what state I'm in sometimes.

Not a problem! It's a pretty pointless law in my opinion. Just like the no gun zone laws. The people who want to break the law, will, regardless of what sign there is in place. Same here with carrying during bow season. It's obviously not okay to shoot a deer with a handgun during archery. There shouldn't be a need to take people's potential protection away from them. The bad guys will do what they want anyway.

I don't know what the legal issues would be from an officer finding a concealed gun on your during bow season or how that would ever even come up in a situation where they are just checking your license.
I have a permit to carry a gun, I carry a gun, and I guess if it ever comes to me bowhunting with a handgun on my persom then I guess that day I will just be coyote hunting with my bow, that's legal
Too many meth heads and questionable stray dogs for me to give up my personal safety.

Best bet is to find a range that rents handguns and try a variety! Everyone is different in what feels good in their grip, recoil, large frame or subcompact. Just like a bow you need to carry what is most comfortable for you.

Agreed. Depending on single/double action and trigger pull you'll shoot some brands hands down better than others. I like HK, they're pricey but I shoot it way better than a sig or S & W. Find one that is comfortable to shoot for you and meets your needs.

I don't know what the legal issues would be from an officer finding a concealed gun on your during bow season or how that would ever even come up in a situation where they are just checking your license.
I have a permit to carry a gun, I carry a gun, and I guess if it ever comes to me bowhunting with a handgun on my persom then I guess that day I will just be coyote hunting with my bow, that's legal
Too many meth heads and questionable stray dogs for me to give up my personal safety.

Exactly how I think about this. Never know what you are gonna run into on public land.

Choose what you will carry. I wanted a .45 but later found I rarely carried due to discomfort. Later got a .380 SW Bodyguard but wish I had more knock down power. Also consider how you will carry and trigger pull. Kimber makes an amazing gun but I wouldn't want to pocket carry with that light trigger pull. My bodyguard has a very heavy trigger pull, great for pocket carry, but harder to accurately shoot. I do like the laser. Lots to consider.

That's what I was thinking. I watched two guys last year lose everything for carrying while bow hunting.Takes just one person to see the gun call the CO and its over from there.

Top Bottom