Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe harvest

Lucky13

As the season winds down a lot of us out there are starting or continuing our doe harvest to help manage the herd....as I'm sitting here waiting on a doe I had a thought; which is better to shoot an older(2.5+) or younger doe? There is no doubt that on my farms a lot like yours the doe numbers are very high and over the next two weekends I plan to fill the rest of the freezer and donate some with doe harvest. For for a debating topic which do you guys prefer? Old or young? Ok deer are coming have to go now!

From the standpoint of managing buck genetics, i've been trying to harvest mature does. Sounds silly, but here's my theory. One section that I hunt is overrun with 8 pt genetics. It's been that way as long as I can remember. We are trying to shoot 8 pointers but I also want it to be a mature buck. Sometimes a 3 yr old 8 will be a ten when he's 4. I'm only one guy but I talked to a neighbor and he would like to see more 10s also so he is trying also. With limited buck tags I think harvesting the older does can also help change the genetic antler structure of the area. It's in their genes as well as the bucks. I know one doe that is positively 9 years old in this section. She has a bobbed tail and I call her Bobbi. Her tail makes her easily identifiable. If she predominantly throws 8 pt genetics just think how much she has affected the herd over the years. Just my theory.

This time of year- mature doe for me. But make sure it's not a shed buck. They are already dropping in areas

Very good point, Deernut. As for me, I try for the most mature does. Not saying that I won't shoot a tasty looking yearling. But I would rather not have a super smart wary old doe dragging a shooter buck around in my area during the rut. They seem to have a sixth sense about treestand hunters it seems. I dont get busted in a tree very often, but when it happens, 99% of the time it is a mature doe that catches me. And from a great distance it seems.

Shooter older does if you want the population to drop quicker. Shoot younger does if you do not want it to drop as quick. I love shooting that old doe that is constantly on pins and needles and just looking to bust you.

Very good point, Deernut. As for me, I try for the most mature does. Not saying that I won't shoot a tasty looking yearling. But I would rather not have a super smart wary old doe dragging a shooter buck around in my area during the rut. They seem to have a sixth sense about treestand hunters it seems. I dont get busted in a tree very often, but when it happens, 99% of the time it is a mature doe that catches me. And from a great distance it seems.

I have a couple of these old girls that can pick me out no matter what. Then they can't just run....they have to stand there for 10 minutes and blow just out of range.

As the season winds down a lot of us out there are starting or continuing our doe harvest to help manage the herd....as I'm sitting here waiting on a doe I had a thought; which is better to shoot an older(2.5+) or younger doe? There is no doubt that on my farms a lot like yours the doe numbers are very high and over the next two weekends I plan to fill the rest of the freezer and donate some with doe harvest. For for a debating topic which do you guys prefer? Old or young? Ok deer are coming have to go now!

If you are anywhere near Des Moines, I had a crap year and lots of bad luck resulting in zero deer. I'd gladly take a couple does off your hands...I can't even think about having to buy real hamburger this year.

Here's something that runs through my mind and maybe this is way off..but there probably more mature deer that are pregnant with possible bucks...I know some of the younger does get knocked up too but probably a lesser percentage than older...last night I killed a 1.5 old doe mainly because she was the one that presented the best shot...and those tender loins were calling my name but I guess on the farm that I was hunting I don't think alone I could ever make a dent in the population but I'll sure try....with that being said from here on out any doe that comes out is getting a Barnes through its chest!

From the standpoint of managing buck genetics, i've been trying to harvest mature does. Sounds silly, but here's my theory. One section that I hunt is overrun with 8 pt genetics. It's been that way as long as I can remember. We are trying to shoot 8 pointers but I also want it to be a mature buck. Sometimes a 3 yr old 8 will be a ten when he's 4. I'm only one guy but I talked to a neighbor and he would like to see more 10s also so he is trying also. With limited buck tags I think harvesting the older does can also help change the genetic antler structure of the area. It's in their genes as well as the bucks. I know one doe that is positively 9 years old in this section. She has a bobbed tail and I call her Bobbi. Her tail makes her easily identifiable. If she predominantly throws 8 pt genetics just think how much she has affected the herd over the years. Just my theory.
her buck fawns will leave the area as long as she's alive. The bucks you have that come in our others run off by their mothers

Here's something that runs through my mind and maybe this is way off..but there probably more mature deer that are pregnant with possible bucks...I know some of the younger does get knocked up too but probably a lesser percentage than older...last night I killed a 1.5 old doe mainly because she was the one that presented the best shot...and those tender loins were calling my name but I guess on the farm that I was hunting I don't think alone I could ever make a dent in the population but I'll sure try....with that being said from here on out any doe that comes out is getting a Barnes through its chest!
harvesting 30% of the herd will maintain the population so to decrease it you need to shoot a higher percentage than that

her buck fawns will leave the area as long as she's alive. The bucks you have that come in our others run off by their mothers
Yep. I always understood that a mother doe will eventually run off her male offspring out of her core area. Which means trying to manipulate the genetic traits of an area is difficult.

So you shoot a doe with a buck fawn, who had twin doe fawns last fall, then the buck fawn stays around grows up and breeds his sisters?? I know its uncertain but that's why they are driven off I suppose.

So you shoot a doe with a buck fawn, who had twin doe fawns last fall, then the buck fawn stays around grows up and breeds his sisters?? I know its uncertain but that's why they are driven off I suppose.

I suspect that this happens sometimes, maybe often. Same as when a cruising buck encounters a daughter from a previous year. Frequently done on purpose with domestic animal breeding. When the end result is good and desirable traits are expressed, it's called "line breeding". It's only when some undesirable trait is expressed that it's referred to as "in-breeding". ;)

I know they drive the buck fawn from their core area but i'm talking about a square mile section. That fawn can find his own core area away from Mom in a square mile can't he? With intensely managed bucks on the next section over you would think I would get their buck fawns if they were driven off so far by their mothers. But we don't see the neighbor's genetics very often. They shoot absolute giant 10s and some non-typs and 90% of what we see are 8 pts. We have excellent cover and food. The bucks are able to mature also. I'm not saying I target older does so the buck fawn sticks around. I'm just trying to eliminate the older gene pool. I don't know what else to do fellas. I can't kill all the 8 pt bucks. What other options do we have?

Last edited:
I know they drive the buck fawn from their core area but i'm talking about a square mile section. That fawn can find his own core area away from Mom in a square mile can't he? With intensely managed bucks on the next section over you would think I would get their buck fawns if they were driven off so far by their mothers. But we don't see the neighbor's genetics very often. They shoot absolute giant 10s and some non-typs and 90% of what we see are 8 pts. We have excellent cover and food. The bucks are able to mature also. I'm not saying I target older does so the buck fawn sticks around. I'm just trying to eliminate the older gene pool. I don't know what else to do fellas. I can't kill all the 8 pt bucks. What other options do we have?

I really find it hard to imagine that there are significant genetic differences in the deer on your section versus the "next section over" (unless there is a very tall fence involved ;) ) I don't know what the answer is, but I just can't wrap my head around it being genetic differences. Bucks just range too far during the rut for that to play a major role in what you are describing.

Top Bottom