Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Landowner/Tenant Tags... SCAM?!?!?!?

And no you can not lease a property and get a LO tag

First off, I am not trying to argue. I am just uninformed and trying to understand.

So if someone leases a piece of ground, puts cattle in there for some time, wouldn't they qualify as a tenant?

My view is that these tags are for folks leasing land to make financial gains, however that may be (row crops, livestock, hay, orchard, etc.)

Now if a guy was leasing ground to film hunts for content on a DVD that he produces and hopes to sell (financial gains), then how is that different? It's not exactly considered "agricultural use", but it is still leased for income, right?

Once again, I'm not arguing, just hoping someone can clear this up, as I see this as an area that probably gets abused. But who knows, maybe it would be perfectly legal?

It says operated as a farm unit for agricultural purposes. So filming should not qualify. My understanding always was they were issued to farmers to allow for them to control damage. Things have changed alot

As it reads you cannot own a farm, rent it out to someone, then get a tag as the landowner? Or is the rental income considered farm income? Makes it sound like you can't if you don't farm it yourself.

As it reads you cannot own a farm, rent it out to someone, then get a tag as the landowner? Or is the rental income considered farm income? Makes it sound like you can't if you don't farm it yourself.

Yes you can but the farmer who is leasing your ground cannot also get a tag on it. Most times the farmer may only be leasing the crop ground not the entire farm.

Any rental agreement should include who will have landowner hunting privileges.

I really don't think the level of income plays into it at all just so there is some AG related income.

While there are some questionable tactics that go on with landowner tags especially when it comes to party hunting or NR use you have to remember a farmer can own land all over the state and they are only allowed 1 buck tag even if the farms are in different corp names. As long as its the same owner only one buck tag is allowed. Other family members or people would have to be listed as majority owners to get more LO buck tags.

I am not sure how good the Iowa System is at tracking/catching this but with the one buck tag per owner I can't imagine the abuse is extreme if following those rules.

Last edited:
I figured that was the case as you can if it's in crp which is basically the same thing. Seems like it would be hard to get the tag application ok'd unless you lied or changed something after the fact. The abuse I have run into the use of tags off of the individual's farm. CO didn't pursue it. This was before cell phones with video. Happened multiple times. I don't get the attitude of looking the other way. If it is wrong or a law is being broken our job as outdoorsman is to help keep things honest. Then it is up to the co if he will do anything or can prove anything. But don't look the other way.

I can't disagree with that. But then they want you to call in for a salvage tag for a deadhead well outside the season. I realize they don't make the rules and they have a tough job. Maybe an impossible job.

I remember back when I was 19 or 20 I was sold a landowner tag at walmart by accident and I lived in town did not own any ground or lease any ground.If you can go buy it at walmart with no proof of owning anything I am sure anyone could get one just whether or not you get caught.Keep in mind this was 18 years ago.Also I wnet to get my muzzleloader tag one year and gave them my wifes fishing license on accident so they could get the dnr number of of it & they sold me a statewide muzzy tag in her name and she has not even taken hunters safety.There are lots of loophole in the system I would say.

I remember back when I was 19 or 20 I was sold a landowner tag at walmart by accident and I lived in town did not own any ground or lease any ground.If you can go buy it at walmart with no proof of owning anything I am sure anyone could get one just whether or not you get caught.Keep in mind this was 18 years ago.Also I wnet to get my muzzleloader tag one year and gave them my wifes fishing license on accident so they could get the dnr number of of it & they sold me a statewide muzzy tag in her name and she has not even taken hunters safety.There are lots of loophole in the system I would say.
you can't now, had a lady in front of me before shotgun season who it was obvious she didn't hunt and when the lady told her she wasn't a registered LO, she got pissed. She said I've owned that land for 35 years and was pissed and stormed out with her walker

you can't now, had a lady in front of me before shotgun season who it was obvious she didn't hunt and when the lady told her she wasn't a registered LO, she got pissed. She said I've owned that land for 35 years and was pissed and stormed out with her walker

Registered is the key part of your comment. It is not difficult to do so and once done, you can buy anywhere they are sold, including Walmart.

Top Bottom